Author Topic: Anyone need an upgrade?  (Read 1604 times)

Eerongal

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 0
  • That jaunty jackanapes with moxie and pizzazz
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
Anyone need an upgrade?
« on: June 25, 2009, 04:57:49 PM »
Windows 7 pricing

the important part:
From June 26 to July 11, while supplies last Microsoft will offer special preorder pricing.  It will be offering in the U.S. Windows 7 Home Premium for $49.99 and Windows 7 Professional for $99.99, a savings of $150 and $200 respectively (over the full retail versions).  Canada and Japan enjoy similar deals.  Microsoft shows Europeans even more loving with Germany and France receiving Windows 7 Home Premium (€49.99) and Windows 7 Professional (€109.99) preorder prices.  The UK, also part of the EU, receives Windows 7 Home Premium (£49.99) and Windows 7 Professional (£99.99) preorder prices.

Obviously a solid deal, to anyone who's looking to get windows 7. May as well take advantage of it while you can!
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Pie is clearly the most trustworthy. Pie for president. - Me.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
Re: Anyone need an upgrade?
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2009, 06:52:20 PM »
Looks like the article was edited. It now says:

From June 26 to July 11, while supplies last Microsoft will offer special preorder pricing.  It will be offering in the U.S. Windows 7 Home Premium for $49.99 and Windows 7 Professional for $99.99, a savings of $70 and $100 respectively (In the U.S. preorders are for upgrade versions).  Canada and Japan enjoy similar deals. 

Still is pretty awesome. This motivates me to preorder it, though I was planning on upgrading regardless. My desktop runs XP, but on an ancient 50GB hard drive. I'm going to get a new hard drive and just do a clean install.

Unfortunately, if I do that, I think I'll need the full versions of Windows 7, not the upgrade versions...
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Eerongal

• Level 23
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2009, 07:02:54 PM »
Looks like the article was edited. It now says:

From June 26 to July 11, while supplies last Microsoft will offer special preorder pricing.  It will be offering in the U.S. Windows 7 Home Premium for $49.99 and Windows 7 Professional for $99.99, a savings of $70 and $100 respectively (In the U.S. preorders are for upgrade versions).  Canada and Japan enjoy similar deals. 

Still is pretty awesome. This motivates me to preorder it, though I was planning on upgrading regardless. My desktop runs XP, but on an ancient 50GB hard drive. I'm going to get a new hard drive and just do a clean install.

Unfortunately, if I do that, I think I'll need the full versions of Windows 7, not the upgrade versions...

Windows 7 requires user to format if they're upgrading from XP, but i think you can still use the upgrade DISKS for it.

also: kinda sucks it wasnt really the full retail versions for that price

Edit: if i were you, i'd get your new hard drive, and ghost it using Clonezilla, so that you have your current install, and can use the upgrade disk on your new hard drive.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009, 07:07:49 PM by Eerongal »
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 07:11:13 PM »
Yeah, that would be probably be easiest. Certainly better than paying for the full version.

Still, saving $70 for an upgrade Home Edition is quite a good deal.

Eerongal

• Level 23
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2009, 07:18:07 PM »
i just found an article from back in feb. that says that microsoft stated that upgrading from XP with upgrade media will be possible, but it will still require a format, so yeah, you should be good to rock with the upgrade versions

Found Here
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

-R. Howard

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2009, 07:22:49 PM »
Yeah. Considering I expected to do a clean install anyways (the computer really needs it), that will work fantastically.