Author Topic: Countdown to Warbreaker! *Spoilers, maybe*  (Read 1519 times)

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
Countdown to Warbreaker! *Spoilers, maybe*
« on: June 02, 2009, 08:00:09 PM »
We're a week away from the release of Warbreaker, so I think it's a good time to put up a topic like this! Now, I did one of these for Hero of Ages, but that was a bit different because we didn't know what was going to happen in the last book. We obviously know a lot about Warbreaker already, so we can't do that. Instead, maybe we should talk about favorite moments in reading Warbreaker, or something. Talk about what's cool in the book and hopefully get some people excited about purchasing the hardcover release (You know, the people who aren't hardcore Brandon Sanderson fans who may frequent the forums).

I don't know if there will be spoiler stuff, but I'm putting a tag in there anyways. I don't even know if this will even elicit conversation, but I think it's important to get hyped up a bit.

EDIT: Hey, look at that, I forgot to put spoiler tags.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 09:39:21 PM by Chaos2651 »
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • Fell Points: 1
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
Re: Countdown to Warbreaker! *Spoilers, maybe*
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2009, 04:56:13 AM »
I remember how when it was first being released everyone wanted to know more about Astrielle (or however you spell their name.  The one that Da-dang!  I can't remember his name *SPOILER* the guy who betrays Viv and used to work with Vasher*END SPOILER*).  I had personally believed that it was Lightsong... of course, it was more surprising to find out who it was.

I also remember how shocked I was when I found out the truth about Vasher.  I think that was my favorite twist.  :D
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

kbob_o

• Level 2
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009, 06:18:55 PM »
And then that get's ruined by the review posted in Brandon's blog...

Well it's been so long since I read the book I can't wait to get my copy... I went and made a nice pdf of the latest version but didn't read it because I didn't want the story fresh when I read the paper copy.

Wielder

• Level 6
  • Rest in Pieces
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2009, 11:45:09 PM »
And then that get's ruined by the review posted in Brandon's blog...

I noticed that too.  Bollocks! I wonder if he put it in there because most of the people who read the blog have already read Warbreaker?

Though, I know a friend or two of mine don't fall into that category.  They wanted to wait for the printed version.  They can spend hours upon hours playing WoW, but they can't spend twelve reading a book on a screen.

Bollocks times two!

As for being fully on topic...

The conversations between Lightsong and Blushweaver were always fun.  Here's my favorite moment with them:
“And how exactly did we get onto this tangent, anyway?” Lightsong said.  “I swear, my dear.  Sometimes our conversations remind me of a broken sword.”

She raised an eyebrow.

“Sharp as hell,” Lightsong said, “but lacking a point.”

There are plenty of moments that I love Denth and Tonk Fah as well:  (Minor spoiler warning.)

“I’m Denth,” the first man said, taking her hand and shaking it.  “That’s Tonk Fah.”

“Pleased,” Tonk Fah said, taking her hand once Denth was through with it.

“Unfortunately, princess,” Denth said, “we’re here to kill you.”

CHAPTER BREAK

Vivenna’s hair instantly bleached to a stark white. 

Think! she told herself.  You’ve been trained in politics!  You studied hostage negotiation.  But. . .what do you do when you are the hostage?

Suddenly, the two men burst out laughing.  The larger man thumped the table several times with his hand, causing his bird to squawk.

“Sorry, princess,” Denth--the thinner man--said, shaking his head.  “Just a bit of mercenary humor.”

“We kill sometimes, but we don’t murder,” Tonk Fah said.  “That’s assassin work.”

I love how he never changes how these two converse with others...it's amazing.

And of course, the reveal on Nightblood: (MAJOR SPOILER ALRET!!!)
With Nightblood, she and Vasher had spent much time in thought, then finally chosen a simple, yet elegant, Command.  “Destroy Evil.”  It had seemed like such a perfect, logical choice.  There was only one problem, something neither of them had foreseen.

GARR, can't wait!
One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate...and thus defy the tyrannous stars.
-Legacy of Kain

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2009, 02:25:56 AM »
Unfortunately, the marketing copy got used on the book itself instead of the cover copy, so it also has the spoiler. Oh well.

This is the kind of thing I hope to help prevent in the future, since I will get to look at cover proofs.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

ryos

• Level 17
  • The Decemberween Thnikkaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2009, 03:01:15 AM »
That's a pretty massive spoiler.  :o

Here's a few more massive spoilers:

Favorite moment in the book: when Lightsong heals Susebron. That was the absolute climax of the story for me.
Least favorite bits: Vivenna's chapters were less interesting to me, honestly, then the other two members of the triad.
Things I wish were explained better: How Vasher managed to have a child back in olden times, and also why people who are on their deathbeds don't pass their Breath(s) on to their children.

I note that Brandon opted again for the triad structure he used in Elantris, despite the fact that he said in the annotations of that book that he probably wouldn't use that ever again. I don't remember, though, how strictly he stuck to the viewpoint order dictated by the triad.

I'm very interested to see how the final revisions changed the book. Version 6.2 was missing something, but I don't know what; it just had the feel of a diamond in the rough.
Eerongal made off with my Fluffy Puff confections.

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2009, 03:27:16 AM »
Vahser had a kid?!  I don't remember that!  *blinks*

And he didn't really stick to the triad system very well.  For the first half of the book the pov is strictly Viv and Siri, and then Vasher comes back into the story.
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2009, 03:32:28 AM »
I don't think the fact that they say "Vasher is the Warbreaker" is too big of a spoiler, considering you don't even know what that means until the end of the book.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2009, 04:13:54 AM »
FRR are you forgetting Lightsong? ;)

It was not Vasher who had a child. It was the First Returned—I believe his name was Vo.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2009, 05:40:17 PM »
FRR are you forgetting Lightsong? ;)

I am!!!  Okay, so I haven't read it in a while.  (And he was one of my favorites too... :~/ )