Author Topic: Others writing Wheel of Time?  (Read 6650 times)

Ehran

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Others writing Wheel of Time?
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2009, 08:10:25 PM »
It's a viable comparison IMO because it shows that it doesn't have to be the original author, no matter who that is or the original source of how the material was presented, that others can and do author quality content.

Of course, thats just my humble opinion.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2009, 09:00:33 PM »
This doesn't change the fact that the only WoT books that aren't in fact written by Mr. Rigney are the 3 AMoL books... this is to great a series to be diminished and to, as i said earlier in this thread, "pimp" out the name
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

maxonennis

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2009, 09:30:55 PM »
Finally, Michael A. Stackpole once commented on whether or not the world of the Wheel of Time should be expanded by having other writers writing the stories of, let’s say, Artur Hawkwing’s rise to power or how the Seanchan tamed Seanchan, and so letting Robert Jordan’s world expand and grow – good idea or bad idea?

Does anyone know where Stackpole said this?

I'm almost certain he said this on the Dragonpage Cover-to-Cover podcast. They've had discussions in the past about the pros and cons of franchising, fan-fiction and "zombies" (series which continue to live on after the author's death).

It's a good podcast (though I'm slowly tiring of M&M's harping on "new media" publishing, I like it better when they spend time talking about craft and new books  and interviewing authors). In fact, it's where I discovered Brandon Sanderson, when he was promoting Mistborn as a guest on the show. Also how I discovered John Scalzi, Jay Lake and T.A. Pratt.

So...you like it? I think it's a horrible podcast. There's about thirty minutes of mindless gibberish followed by two five minute interviews. I don't know...low quality IMO :-\
"Don't argue with ignorance. And when you argue with me, that's all you get!" Mike

Maxonennis’ soliloquy on Frog relations: “How can I bake the hall in the candle of her brain?”

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2009, 09:43:36 PM »
Renoard...there were 12 books, not one book, later collected into three books (their contents can be found in the Amazon description and reviews. My sister had the 12 books. There were several unproduced scripts, but I just can't find any information that the Blish books had anything from them in them. And since you don't have the books anymore either, it's impossible to verify.
My sister also had the Star Trek Log books written by Alan Dean Foster as adaptations of the animated series.
But I do agree that both Star Trek and Star Wars are not a good point of comparison to the Wheel of Time.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Pink Bunkadoo

• Level 7
  • Ookla's sister
    • View Profile
    • Helena's webpage
« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2009, 04:35:40 AM »
I do know that Blish wrote his own Harry Mudd story which was published along with the two episodes.  I'm not aware of any un-filmed scripts that he worked with.
~금강산도 식후경~

Renoard

• Level 20
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2009, 04:59:58 AM »
Well, no longer having the book (published some time in the late 70's) I'll not press it. :)
You can always get what you want if you never count the cost.

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2009, 05:51:02 PM »
I disagree, Kaz.  It's one thing to finish a series that is mostly written, but it's quite different to make spinoffs the author never intended. 
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2009, 07:47:47 PM »
That was the point i was making... AMoL should be written other prequels/ sequels would be "pimping" out the series
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 29, 2009, 05:14:32 PM »
Oh, sorry Kaz.  I thought you were on the other side.  I'll tell you what I would like; I would like some appendices that explain certain things, a la Lord of the Rings.  I would also be OK with the other 2 prequals if they were written by Brandon.  I wouldn't want to mush it up any more than that.  They are filler books, so they certainly don't need the scope of the main series.  It would be nice to see Tam's story.
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

Shard

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 29, 2009, 05:33:48 PM »
There is a all encompassing Encyclopedia coming after the last book is finally published so there is that to look forward to. Everything else at the moment is a "wait and see".
We need the metaphor of Magic and Monsters to understand the Human condition ~Stephan Donaldson.

Raphael

• Level 3
  • I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2009, 09:16:46 PM »
Let Harriet decide. But, if it was up to me, no.

BloodlessVictory

• Level 2
    • View Profile
    • Portalstones.com
« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2009, 08:52:58 AM »
As of JordanCon, Harriet seemed to be thinking favorably about the idea of doing the 'outrigger' books, but for now the focus is on finishing the main series, and outrigger arrangements seem to be on hold until the rest is done.  Also, as mentioned in an earlier post here, we were told 'no Age of Legends stories, no Artur Hawkwing stories.'  You can catch a low-res video of the panel where these and similar things were discussed, here.