Author Topic: Manager off-duty  (Read 2676 times)

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Fell Points: 8
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
Manager off-duty
« on: October 05, 2004, 07:31:04 PM »
So my manager at work is a slacker. Now at my work, we all know this and accept it. It's not too bad most of the time, since it means that the employees can mostly do what they want. It's not so good for business, but since I don't plan on working for this guy my whole life, I don't mind.

Anyways, this weekend my manager sunk to a new low in slacking-off. See he runs a catering business as well as the hotel. So on Sunday there was a wedding dinner scheduled that he was supposedly catering. Now this was scheduled during the middle of last week. It was suppose to be a full turkey dinner done up really nice.

Now the mistake the employees made is that we assumed our manager would check to see if he had to cater anything over the weekend. It is his business after all. Well he didn't check. In fact he didn't come in to check anything except for one day at the start of the week.

So Sunday comes around and my manager has no idea that he is suppose to be catering a wedding dinner. When he does find out after the wedding party has arrived, his solution is to order pizza from Pizza Hut then serve the pizza on china. How did he possibly think that would be acceptable? The bride was in tears, the families were insulted. My manager comped everything for them, but that still doesn't make up for destroying these people's memories.

And to complete everything, it is now the staff's fault that he didn't know about the dinner. So now it is our fault that he doesn't show up to work or perform his job duties. Thanks.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 0
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
Re: Manager off-duty
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2004, 08:03:41 PM »
Heh, pizza would have been acceptable for me, if it was my wedding!  Then everyone would probably tell me to shut up since its not my decision, and then I would be saying the rest of my left "Dude, I could have had pizza for my wedding dinner if everyone else hadn't been so stupid!"  Lol.

Doh, I know his problem now.  He should have got Tombstone instead of Pizza Hut.  Of course the main problem here is it was supposed to be a turkey dinner, and he didn't deliver, because he didn't know about it, because he never comes to work.  So yeah, he's a loser, even though pizza is a great idea IMO.

So now I can complain about my manager.  Saturday I got to come home like two hours early, because we were way ahead thanks to my mad skills.  About a half-hour later, I get called up to come back in, because they were "behind".  So I get there, and no wonder they are behind, nobody has done anything since I left!  So then I finish up everyone else's job and go home again.  Its never good when the manager doesn't manage things and stuff.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2004, 08:03:58 PM by Eagle_Prince »
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2004, 08:10:50 PM »
Actually, I had pizza at my sister's wedding dinner. Course, it was at a restraunt and it was a little higher quality than Pizza Hut. And I was 12.

Yes, apparently we are all under the misinterpretation that managers are to accept more responisibility for the work that needs to be done. In reality they are just suppose to pass blame onto other employees when things don't get done.
The Folly of youth is to think that intelligence is a subsitute for experience. The folly of age is to think that experience is a subsitute for intelligence.

Eagle Prince

• Level 29
  • The Highwayman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2004, 08:44:12 PM »
Lol, I had a boss tell me that all the time.  I was only there to take the blame.
I am the Immortal One hidden from the dawn; I am the Emperor-King after day has gone.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2004, 02:28:39 AM »
Huh. If the bride's family waited until the week-of to schedule wedding catering, no wonder.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2004, 09:07:13 AM »
i have far more sympathy than you ookla. How was the bride's family supposed to know it was his week off?

Spriggan

• Administrator
  • Level 78
  • Fell Points: 31
  • Yes, I am this awesome
    • View Profile
    • Legacies Lost
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2004, 09:10:26 AM »
His week off?  42's manager is never there, it's more like his year off.
Screw it, I'm buying crayons and paper. I can imagineer my own adventures! Wheeee!

Chuck Norris is the reason Waldo is hiding.

Dex1138

• Level 8
  • Resident Star Wars Geek
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Page
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2004, 11:29:40 AM »
'round these parts it's: the higher up you go, the more you make, the less work you do.
And I know lots of people will say it's that way everywhere but it's too true here.

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2004, 12:41:12 PM »
Huh. If the bride's family waited until the week-of to schedule wedding catering, no wonder.

Week OF the wedding.  I'll assume Eric was joking.

And 42, that's unbelievable.  How has he not gotten himself fired as manager by now?
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2004, 12:46:21 PM »
well, i wasn't joking. I just read "off" instead of "of"

Yeah, waiting a week before is a bit more unforgivable. Though it IS provo, so it should be easier to dot hat. And the manager has still screwed up majorly. if they are unable to cater something the week of, they shouldn't allow employed to schedule any catering for that week. if they can schedule it that week, the catering company has complete responsibility for anything that happens, just as if it was scheduled months in advance. I still put much more blame on the caterer than the family. It would have served the family right if they couldn't have gotten a caterer at all, but as soon as the caterer says they can do it, serving pizza becomes HIS fault, not theirs.

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2004, 01:39:46 PM »
The manager/caterer is also the owner, hence there is no one to fire him. He's also so burnt-out that he makes charcoal look like a grand oak tree.

• RPG Editors
  • Level 56
  • Unofficial World Saver
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2004, 09:04:09 PM »
Oh, and incidentally, since I have worked here, I have seen my manager six times in the past six months.

Dex1138

• Level 8
  • Resident Star Wars Geek
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Page
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2004, 11:55:55 AM »
That's better than me! I've seen my manager about 3 times in the past year. But then, he does work in a city a few miles away from me...