Author Topic: review: Terminator Salvation  (Read 4935 times)

Nessa

• Administrator
  • Level 32
  • Fell Points: 5
  • Giving life to demon spawn since 1999
    • View Profile
"The difference between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning."  -  Mark Twain

Check out my book reviews at http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Renoard

• Level 20
  • Fell Points: 0
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
Re: review: Terminator Salvation
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2009, 12:47:52 AM »
I'll differ with the brothers Gibbs to this extent.  I think that Salvation is better than T2.  I like Bale better.  He is far more believable as a quasi military type, and his acting is just generally better.

The special effects were far superior and that is a huge advantage that newer films always have.  But most importantly, this film fits.  It manages to work as a future to the previous moves, while being a credible past to the infamous Reese.  It does this without any noticeable retcon except what's necessary to fix the problems introduced through carelessness in T-3.

The "I'll be back" reference, was a bit of self congratulatory cheese that can be overlooked given the quality of the movie as a whole.  I was surprised and gratified by the cameo appearance of my Governor (yes I voted for him) as the ineffable T-800M101 (geekdom beware my mad terminator skills).  With no lines, this might be his second best role ever, the first being Kindergarten Cop.

My only issue is the striking resemblance between Sam Worthington and Brian Austin Green of The Sarah Connor Chronicles.
You can always get what you want if you never count the cost.

ryos

• Level 17
  • The Decemberween Thnikkaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2009, 11:13:22 PM »
I just saw this. I was entertained. ;D

My biggest gripe is that the ending felt rushed. Also, there was some ham-fisted acting in spots (notably, the high command hammed it up through all of their scenes). But I'm used to turning off my brain in order to enjoy Terminator movies, and this one was a lot of fun.
Eerongal made off with my Fluffy Puff confections.

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2009, 04:09:48 PM »
the reason the ending felt "off" is because it wasnt the ending they were building up to. the original ending was quite different, but they changed it due to an information leak during production.

the movie was ok. they tried putting in too many characters, and thus ignored the character build-up for the important ones. Bale did great in the limited role they gave him, but overall his parts lacked power (not his fault). Marcus was the only character I cared about, and I can't help but be disappointed in his ending.

edit: I also enjoyed how they digitally put Arnold's face on that guy's body, though it was a bit rough - you'd think after Benjamin Button they would have this technique down. And no, i didnt vote for Arnold when I lived in Cali due to his idiotic way of handling the educational system there - I personally think he is a moron.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 04:19:41 PM by Used to be an Important Bookstore Guy »
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Comfortable Madness

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2009, 04:35:38 PM »
McG originally wanted Bale for the role of Marcus but Bale really wanted to play the role of John Connor. So, originally, the movie was supposed to be completely centered around Marcus but due to Bale's preference to play Connor the character got more face time. All in all I really enjoyed the movie. Bale is awesome in everything that he does and I thought Sam Worthington did a fantastic job as Marcus.
“I will never serve you, Father of Lies. In a thousand lives, I never have. I know that. I’m sure of it. Come. It is time to die.” Rand al'Thor

"Mourn if you must. But mourn on the march to Tarmon Gai'don." Logain Ablar

Renoard

• Level 20
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2009, 06:52:14 PM »
I agree.  I like the idea of the two heavies as mutual antagonists rather than the faceless skynet being the great invisible antagonist.  And really Marcus is still the protagonist.
You can always get what you want if you never count the cost.