Author Topic: I am not a Serial Killer BANNED!!!  (Read 12001 times)

maxonennis

• Level 8
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: I am not a Serial Killer BANNED!!!
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2009, 09:39:44 PM »
Well Fell, you know you haven’t officially made it until they have an organized bookburning for one of your novels. It’s mandatory for all great authors.
"Don't argue with ignorance. And when you argue with me, that's all you get!" Mike

Maxonennis’ soliloquy on Frog relations: “How can I bake the hall in the candle of her brain?”

Recovering_Cynic

• Level 13
  • Except vampires. Vampires suck.
    • View Profile
    • my livejournal
« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2009, 10:24:56 PM »
Well Fell, you know you haven’t officially made it until they have an organized bookburning for one of your novels. It’s mandatory for all great authors.

Hmm... someone just said the same thing about one of my short stories.  Does that mean I've made it too?  ;D 

On a personal note, I finished reading the book last night, and it was probably one of the more disturbing things I've ever read, right up there with the Steven King short novel "Road Work" from the Bachman Books.  I tried reading that one when I was around fourteen or so, but I never finished it because I tried talking to myself to see if I had a split personality.  It seriously creeped me out.  Had I read it today, I would probably be fine.  In fact, I always wanted to know how that one ended...

Anyway, I digress.  My point was this, had I read I Am Not A Serial Killer while still a teenager, I shudder to think about how it would have screwed me up.  I was already a weird kid, unpopular and anti-social, mildly sociopathic, but desperate to relate to people around me.  I got over it, worked through it, and finally started making normal human connections.  However, had someone handed me this book... well, I don't know.  You really have to pick your audience carefully with this one.
this is the way the world ends,
not with a bang, but a whimper
~T.S. Eliot

sortitus

• Level 15
  • MVP of the WORLD
    • View Profile
    • I'll kick you in the face!
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2009, 10:50:25 PM »
Yeah, I hope we don't have a rash of teens thinking that it's cool to be a sociopath with all of the sociopaths and anti-hero main characters we're seeing in various media these days.
Hero of Ages: Impressive Regality Over Niceness, Y'all
좋아! This time with more ecstatic! 좋네!!! I'll say it again in french! Trois fois voiture!!! Ça va. C'est vrai. C'est bien.
High Knight of the Grand Pie of the Holy Order of Pie, The Left Hand of Pie

EllieW96

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2010, 02:47:56 AM »
Well, I read the book and I'm only 13. However, I have found myself researching Serial Killers on the Internet. But I'm not some freaky psycho! It's just a slightly... Diffrent... hobby....   :-\
"I think in some way I wanted it to end, even if it meant my own destruction"

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2010, 02:59:36 AM »
We are desensitizing the public by allowing kids to see R rated movies and play M rated games. I mean there is a reason for the ratings. Please note i have zero problem with adults doing as they please, just letting minors access to Grand Theft Auto etc. as there is a growing violent crime rate, in part do to the varying violent media given to minors.
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Ari54

• Level 8
    • View Profile
    • M.J. Whitehead.com
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2010, 10:37:57 AM »
We are desensitizing the public by allowing kids to see R rated movies and play M rated games. I mean there is a reason for the ratings. Please note i have zero problem with adults doing as they please, just letting minors access to Grand Theft Auto etc. as there is a growing violent crime rate, in part do to the varying violent media given to minors.

I'm sorry, are you trying to sneak in a collective "we"?

Ignoring rating information is not something I've ever seen actively condoned by anyone. Parents who don't pay any attention to the media their children are consuming are sometimes guilty of said infraction, but that's not the same thing at all as implying society as a whole are in any way approving that sort of neglectfulness. :)

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2010, 03:47:31 PM »
I do believe society as a whole does condone such activity, I don't, you don't, but society does.
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2010, 07:34:07 AM »

My mother always allowed us to watch R rated movies and M rated video games, but she also made very sure well we understood the difference between these things and real life.

The only reason for ratings is to give parents an easy way to not be a parent.

Well I guess and to let people know what's in a movie before they watch it.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

clarissavandell

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2010, 03:21:04 AM »
I'm so excited for this book.  I'm one of those people who love horror/psychological thrillers (I read Roadwork, but I find more enjoyment in King's more supernatural stories; just the way my taste runs), but the horror movies have me constantly "getting a snack" in the kitchen.  Which is why you'll never find me at a horror film in theaters.

So.  I will love the book... but have to be dragged to the movie.  There will be a movie, correct?  There better be...

ryos

• Level 17
  • The Decemberween Thnikkaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2010, 03:42:40 AM »
There might be a movie. I kind of hope they decide not to film the option; there are too many ways for them to screw it up.
Eerongal made off with my Fluffy Puff confections.

clarissavandell

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2010, 11:26:05 PM »
It really depends on a lot of things, I guess... actors, director, changes to the stories...
Maybe I WOULD like to see it.  It depends.

AzWingsFan

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2010, 08:07:55 AM »
Im more of a fantasy reader, but as a fan of Sanderson and TOR, I knew what you wrote had to be read... I really enjoyed your book. Am i somewhat of a wuss when it comes to horror ? Yes. But thats half the fun. I swear I couldnt read it at night without having some kind of nightmare involving serial killers. Really cant wait for Mr. Monster!!!

btw... Come to Phoenix!!