Local Authors > Dan Wells

I am not a Serial Killer BANNED!!!

(1/6) > >>

pacatak:
I ordered your book from the UK and had it shipped here to Utah.  Loved it; can't wait for the next.  My family is full of voracious readers so I took your book to the homestead in Idaho and a couple of my brothers read it and liked it.  Or so I thought.  I made a phone call home last week, shooting the breeze and all.  I brought up with my mother that my younger bro had read the book and liked it.  She said that's not what he told her.  He said that, "no one should be reading that stuff."  I was surprised, cause my fam has always loved this kinda weird stuff.  The X-Files was a Sunday night tradition growing up. 

Upon my brother's recommendation my mother threw the book in the trash. When I heard this I kinda lost it.  I told her that was a book I wanted to keep in my library for a long time, and that I had to special order if from England, and I left the book there for people to read, not so they could unceremoniously toss it in the trash.  If they wanted to trash they book they should buy their own to dispose of.

Luckily she was able to retrieve it from the garbage, and it hadn't been soiled.  I had to laugh at the whole thing.  Though you might want to know that a mormon housewife has seen fit to trash your book.  Maybe that means you've arrived, IDK.

Peter Ahlstrom:
Well...I personally do think that it's a bad idea for most kids below a certain stage of social development to read this book. Past a certain age I doubt there's anyone who would get ideas from it that they wouldn't have already gotten elsewhere, but I think that if they read this book when they're too young, certain readers could develop an unhealthy fixation on the fear that they themselves might develop into serial killers. The problem with the book for such kids is that it doesn't present a repeatable way to let out the impulses—the option that works for John is just not available to anyone in the real world.

Renoard:
Well John Gacy, Ted Cowell and Jeff Daumer found ways in the real world, but we take your point. ;P  What is Mr. Wells method hrmmmmm?

Peter Ahlstrom:
Dan plays complicated board games.

Fellfrosch:
Wow, pacatak, that's a pretty strong reaction to the book. How old was the brother who hated it, and what kinds of books does he normally read? Ookla's right--the book definitely isn't for everyone.

If you really want to have some fun, buy them a copy of book 2 when it comes out next year. If they thought the first one was too freaky, the second will get you disowned.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version