Author Topic: Book Plates  (Read 6002 times)

Renoard

• Level 20
  • Fell Points: 0
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
Re: Book Plates
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2009, 06:30:54 PM »
No I didn't mean they behaved rudely.  I was just putting voice to the subtext.  The request is inherently thoughtless of the fact that the writer, sitting at that table, sweltering in library heat or freezing in bookstore Air, is a person. :D

I was reading where an actor was sitting in a restaurant and a fan came up, identified him by another actor's name and asked for an autograph.  Rather than embarrass the fan, the actor signed the name he'd been given.  He laughed, but it stung.

After BS has 50 books to his credit, it might not be a big deal.  But right now I'm sure it was a slap in the face, no matter his reputation for being a nice evil-overlord.
You can always get what you want if you never count the cost.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2009, 08:43:59 PM »
How stupid do you have to be to ask someone to sign material that doesn't belong to them?
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2009, 09:21:52 PM »
It was an impolite request.  So good for him about politely refusing.  How crude, "Here someone else wrote this material, but I want to rub your nose in it so would you sign it for me?"  Or, "Hey didn't you used to weigh about 80 pounds more have grey hair and wear glasses?"
It's most likely just that he's associated with WoT now. And Brandon rightly wouldn't sign out of respect for RJ.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!