Author Topic: Official Gathering Storm Cover Impressions  (Read 12448 times)

PW

Re: Official Gathering Storm Cover Impressions
« Reply #60 on: June 06, 2009, 05:40:33 AM »
Haven't the Dabel Brothers proven that the artwork can match the writer's vision?  My biggest problem with the cover art is that 1) it makes no attempt whatsoever to resemble the characters as they are described in the books - Why is Lan wearing a helmet and his sword strapped to his back on the cover for The Eye of the World; 2) There is no consistency in the characters from cover to cover - why does Perrin look COMPLETELY different on the Winters Heart cover than he does on the cover for The Dragon Reborn? and 3) why did I spend 30 minutes staring at the cover of Knife of Dreams trying to figure out who the people were?  Shouldn't we be able to pick up the twelfth book of a series and know without a moment's pause who the cover characters are?

Jurisprude

• Level 2
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 26, 2009, 07:23:14 PM »
Agree that the cover art for this is just awful.  I haven't paid all that much attention to the other covers, the only one that stands out is Path of Daggers, the rest I would categorize as either mediocre or not good.  I remember thinking that on the Crown of Swords cover Rand looked different than on the other covers ... kind of like a skinny version of Stephen Baldwin (ugh).  In general the other covers seem very passive (i.e., Fires of Heaven, Lord of Chaos).

Thinking back to the cover art of the fantasy series I read as a kid, I remember really enjoying the original Shannara cover art from the first couple books.  I was not a fan of the original Belgariad artwork.  The Dragonlance artwork was pretty good, even if the books were just okay.  I think that the Xanth artwork was more hit than miss.

Valkynphyre

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 26, 2009, 10:12:17 PM »
Absolutely Terrible. Just like all the other WoT books. This makes the series look bad- Worse even than previous covers.

Terrible. T-R-B-L Terrible.

I'm pretty sure that cover deserves an Attack of the Show Style EPIC FAIL!
Bow before The Worldbringer, Squirrel King![/color]

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 27, 2009, 12:02:04 AM »
what do you mean all the cover are bad EotW has a good cover and so does SR and PoD
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Danimari

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 27, 2009, 08:08:20 AM »
Commented elsewhere about the art, but meh, well... it's the same style as the others, I guess.

Except with mystery tavern wench behind him.
Wotmaniac lurker.

Renoard

• Level 20
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
« Reply #65 on: June 28, 2009, 04:19:16 AM »
Maybe Mystery Tavern Wench is Elminedra (as opposed to Min).
You can always get what you want if you never count the cost.

Kestrel

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 23, 2009, 08:26:49 PM »
Not a fan, though I've never been a huge WoT follower in the first place. The art for the books has always looked to be generic high fantasy, so I guess it fits in with the ho-hum theme of the rest of the series. =\

Would have liked to see a better cover for what are surely to be the best books in the run, though. xD

Fezzer

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 23, 2009, 09:00:48 PM »
It's just plain awful.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 25, 2009, 04:18:47 AM »
Not a fan, though I've never been a huge WoT follower in the first place. The art for the books has always looked to be generic high fantasy, so I guess it fits in with the ho-hum theme of the rest of the series. =\

Would have liked to see a better cover for what are surely to be the best books in the run, though. xD
Comments like that deserve a back hand... and for multiiple reasons first off the author nor the content of a work should be judged by the marketing tool used to sell i,t and secondly though i think that over all Brandon is probably the better writer no-one can take up a masterpeice and complete it in the likliness envisioned by the original artisan...it always come out for the worst no matter how skilled the predecessor... WoT deserves to be finished by Mr. Rigney and it's a darn shame that is no longer possible
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

AllWrong

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 31, 2009, 08:17:33 AM »
If they had just hired Michael Whelan to do the cover art, we would all be suitably impressed.