Author Topic: I am very annoyed with Paolini  (Read 8256 times)

Bastille

• Level 10
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: I am very annoyed with Paolini
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2009, 11:45:32 PM »
Ooh. Then you'll have angry fans screaming at your door to update your website!!! 
Nature's first green is gold
Her hardest hue to hold. Her early leaf's a flower;
But only so an hour. Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief, So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay.

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2009, 03:30:24 PM »
I don't know Brooks.  What did he take from Star Wars? o.O  I'm a pretty big Star Wars person and I didn't really see anything that was close enough to Star Wars to be considered "stolen".  Yes, I can see the Tolkien thing, but when you go into the world of Elves and Dwarves it's hard to not "steal" something from someone because it's been done sooooo many times over.

EDIT:  Now at the point that Murtag kills  . . . uhm, I forget his name . . . and takes control and gets his own "apprentice", that would be very Star Wars like.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2009, 03:31:58 PM by miyabi »
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Shard

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2009, 01:01:50 PM »
I can't think of anything Brooks stole from Star Wars and I HAVE read his books. Paloini on the other hand practically took the Star Wars script and just changed the names. Okay that's an exaggeration but really when Eragon's uncle started giving him a speech on Life Lessons I was like "Dude your going to die next chapter aren't you?". I mean you could literaly make a checklist here:

1) Got father's sword? Check
2) Father was Evil? Check
3) Raised by Uncle? Check
4) Uncle killed sending Hero on Quest? Check

and so on. The only refreshing thing was Eragon having a brother to do his own thing.
We need the metaphor of Magic and Monsters to understand the Human condition ~Stephan Donaldson.

Inquisitor

• Level 8
  • Lord of Cake
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2009, 12:26:24 AM »
That and the fact that his father wasn't really evil.
Captain Commander of the Holy Vanguard of Kaz

I have recently discovered that pie cannot be trusted. I am switching full time to cake.

Cake shall prevail!

Come join us over at the Mistborn Forum RPG!
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mistborn/index.php?

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2009, 08:24:45 PM »
He doesn't have his father's sword, his father wasn't evil.  He was raised by his uncle and his uncle did die though, but seriously, the parental figures die a LOT in fantasy.

Your proof fails to convince me he stole from Star Wars.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Shard

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2009, 11:09:28 PM »
That red sword wasn't his fathers? I thought it was.
We need the metaphor of Magic and Monsters to understand the Human condition ~Stephan Donaldson.

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2009, 01:41:44 AM »
Maybe Shard hasn't read the third book. But really, Eragon is just Star Wars plus dragons.

Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2009, 03:03:17 AM »
That red sword wasn't his fathers? I thought it was.
If you haven't read the third book just leave it at Morzan is not his father.

Reaves - OK, you have ONE parallelism to Star Wars . . . . how does that make it Star Wars plus dragons?
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Inquisitor

• Level 8
  • Lord of Cake
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2009, 03:19:30 AM »
Actually, there are a lot of parallels, but it's enjoyable nonetheless.
Captain Commander of the Holy Vanguard of Kaz

I have recently discovered that pie cannot be trusted. I am switching full time to cake.

Cake shall prevail!

Come join us over at the Mistborn Forum RPG!
http://z3.invisionfree.com/Mistborn/index.php?

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2009, 03:25:34 AM »
Alright, I'll lay it out for you.

There is a young farmboy dreaming of adventure, living with his uncle on the outskirts of the Empire. An aged, mysterious storyteller informs him that once, the land was protected by heroes, guardians who used magic to defend it. This young hero learns that his father was once one of these warriors, as was the mysterious storyteller; and he can become one as well.
But- oh, no! Our young hero returns to his farm to find it in ruins and his uncle killed, by no less than the forces of the evil Empire. He swears vengeance against this Empire and its dastardly Emperor, leaving his homeland to travel with the old storyteller. This storyteller gives his life for our young farm boy, protecting him from an attack. Along the way, he rescues a princess from the Empire and joins the Rebels, leading them against a last-minute attack on their hidden base.
In Volume Two, our hero discovers that his father was actually the Emperor's right-hand man, his most trusted servant: his apprentice, if you will. He also learns that he has a long-lost twin.
He discovers that the late storyteller's plan was to further his training with the last surviving magic user, a former teacher. This aged and crippled man lives the life of a hermit in the forest, but is still able to teach our young hero much. However, at the last minute our hero decides to complete his training later and save his friends, vowing to return.

I could go on, but there wouldn't be much point. Eragon is Star Wars. I read the first two books and really enjoyed them. It was only after I read the third one and was incredibly disappointed that I began to actually analyze the story and realized how familiar it really was.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2009, 03:36:10 AM »
OK, I guess when you point them all out it makes more sense. :\

I guess I just loved Star Wars and comparing it to this series seemed really dumb to me so I never did it because Star Wars was so amazing that Eragon couldn't compare.

オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

ErikHolmes

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2009, 06:19:33 AM »
Well, I wouldn't think too badly of Eragon because of how it follows the Star Wars storyline. Hell, I have a program called Dramatica Pro that basically walks you threw how to build your story along the same lines as Star Wars. My understanding is a lot of its based off of Joseph Cambell's book, The Hero with a Thousand Faces.

IMO, the fact that he can take something like Star Wars, change it up, put a different face on it, etc. And not have everyone realize that's what he did is the sign on a good storyteller, not a bad one.

Who the hell is interrupting my Kung Fu!

Shard

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 25, 2009, 01:32:14 PM »
I haven't read the third book and I thought Eragon's father's name started with a B or a G. Its been awhile.

Bastille

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 25, 2009, 03:39:25 PM »
The third books holds allot. You might want to pick it up.  ;)
Nature's first green is gold
Her hardest hue to hold. Her early leaf's a flower;
But only so an hour. Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief, So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay.

Shard

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 25, 2009, 06:50:59 PM »
It wasn't so much that the First book (I haven't read the second either actually) seemed like Star Wars but that it was incredibly predictable and there were no real suprises. Except that the brother has something interesting and different to do at least.