Author Topic: Quantum theory in Sandersonia and Shardism... *Spoilers*  (Read 3539 times)

GrayWesterner

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Quantum theory in Sandersonia and Shardism... *Spoilers*
« on: May 11, 2009, 11:06:02 PM »
Hi All,
I have developed a theory from reading the HoA thread that I wanted to pose.  Many have discussed the idea of the shards and how the literary worlds of Mr. Sanderson are in the same universe.  I pose that they are not in the same universe at all and in actuality, by utilizing quantum theory, occur in multiple/alternate universes/realities.
Quantum theory posits that any time a decision is made (turn left instead of right) that a new reality is formed and there are infinite realities.  I believe that this is the case in Sandersonia (a bad name I know that ecompasses Mr. Sanderson's literary works, at least the ones connected by the Shards of Adonalsium). 

Examples that may support my theory are the uses of Atium, in how it makes a user aware of many/all possible actions from someone and Malatium and how it makes the user aware of alternate reality versions of someone else, one could say glimpsing alternate realities. These God metals seem to breach the realities.  I pose that some of the characters may even just possibly be different versions of the same people on different worlds, but that may be a stretch.  What do you think?

I also wonder if the same Shard may be present on different worlds at the same time?  Are the shards we have seen only present on one world/one reality at a time?

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
Re: Quantum theory in Sandersonia and Shardism... *Spoilers*
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2009, 11:12:05 PM »
I suppose it's possible. However, because all of Brandon's alpha readers and  friends on the forums seem to think the novels are all in the same universe, I'm more inclined to go with that.
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

GrayWesterner

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2009, 11:15:56 PM »
The shards though seem to be a relatively new revelation to many of them though as well, even to Ookla.  I don't think that by any means has Mr. Sanderson revealed too much to even his close friends on this idea as he wants to surprise all of them when the time comes or as the larger story unfolds.

This reflects on HOID as well and his ability to 'jump' around.  He wouldn't need to jump so much as 'slide' between possibilities.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 11:21:42 PM by GrayWesterner »

GrayWesterner

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2009, 11:25:05 PM »
I also think that as he has mentioned he wants to take the Mistborn universe into space that it hints at more science fiction in his fantasy.  I don't believe that he limits himself to the one genre at this point.  His sci-fi works may even tie into the whole when all is said and done.

As I think on this I am reminded of Stephen King and his literary tie-ins.  What is Mr. Sandersons Dark Tower?

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2009, 11:58:34 PM »
EUOL has said they're all in the same universe and that's why we won't see one in Alcatraz, because it's in a different Universe.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

GrayWesterner

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2009, 12:11:25 AM »
I don't remember seeing that statement in particular, was it on these forums or elsewhere?  Just hate to eliminate it entirely if unsure.

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2009, 12:25:55 AM »
I don't remember exactly where it was said, but he did say it.

EDI: I will look for it.

EDIT EDIT: I couldn't find anything, but I know it was said. ha ha.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2009, 12:32:59 AM by miyabi »
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

GrayWesterner

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2009, 01:18:17 AM »
It has been talked about that way for so long that I wasn't sure if we don't just assume that is the case.  Although if you find it that will prove your case as well.  I will continue to ponder alternate realities in the meantime until you dash my hopes. ;-)

zas678

• Level 7
  • Job Title: Hoid Desciption: RAFO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2009, 06:28:25 AM »
Well what do you know...
(this is Brandon Sanderson from the HoA thread)

Quote from: Qarlin on October 17, 2008, 09:37:26 PM
So are all these epic novels in the same universe? Elantris, Mistborn, Dragonsteel, all that?
I'm afraid that question is best left to the rest of you, for now, to discuss.

He may have told other people things at signings, but this is all he says on the forum.

Edit: spelling

“It’s a fun tradition.”
“So was witch-burning,” Melody said.  “Unless you were the witch.”

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2009, 08:43:51 AM »
I don't remember exactly where it was said, but he did say it.

EDI: I will look for it.

EDIT EDIT: I couldn't find anything, but I know it was said. ha ha.

Miyabi check the Al thread.  I said it there.  I was chatting with him after class one day and I asked if Al and Scribbler were shard worlds (or a similar question) and he said that they were alt histories or plays off our own world so they weren't shard worlds.
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

Rrikor

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2009, 03:36:26 PM »
I hope that this isn't the case.  It would mean the the Gods are making different decisions at different times too with the different types of magic systems.   

We already have the alternate worlds in WoT as well with the portal stones.  Granted they don't get used much but the theory is laid out.

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2009, 05:05:15 PM »
Space is big and the shards seem pretty mobile.  Why postulate universes when we've barely explored the elbow room available in the universe that we already know and which Brandon's cosmology seems to be largely based on?
Nature hates being reified.

GrayWesterner

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2009, 06:05:57 PM »
Well, I went there since it is easier to understand rather than a bunch of planets in one universe quite honestly and it ties in nicely with the way the god metals work, Atium and Malatium.  Those metals show possibilities, alternate choices, alternate realities.  It is easier for HOID to be someone who can slice a hole between realities and step through or quite possibly be someone who exists in all realities at the same time. To me at least, only time will tell I guess unless someone can disprove my theory.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2009, 09:08:33 PM »
Why is it easier to understand than a bunch of planets in one universe?
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Tage

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 2
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2009, 11:17:45 PM »
Readers are, of course, welcome to form all the opinions they'd like. However, having heard it straight from the horse's mouth, so to speak, I can say that last time I talked to him about it, they were all different worlds in the same universe.

Also, personally I prefer the term "Brandonverse," but that's strictly unofficial. :)
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."