Poll

If it were legal to marry 2 wives, would you?

yes
1 (5.3%)
no
16 (84.2%)
maybe
2 (10.5%)

Total Members Voted: 19

Author Topic: Would you have a second wife?  (Read 21871 times)

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Re: Would you have a second wife?
« Reply #120 on: May 11, 2009, 07:14:38 PM »
Well, that's fairly easily proven false through genealogy. But I did read a quote just now that says "It is almost certain that we are all at least 27th cousins."
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 11, 2009, 07:55:22 PM »
The chances of mutation are no higher in incest than in normal offspring... the only danger is bad recessives

Edit: actualy i take that back the psychological damage is possible because if you break up divorce ect. it's still your family
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Eerongal

• Level 23
  • That jaunty jackanapes with moxie and pizzazz
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #122 on: May 11, 2009, 08:00:26 PM »
Well, that's fairly easily proven false through genealogy. But I did read a quote just now that says "It is almost certain that we are all at least 27th cousins."

That may be what I'm thinking of. may have just got the number wrong (i was shooting from memory)

Interesting read I came across while trying to verify/disprove my earlier statement:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitochondrial_Eve

Edit:

The chances of mutation are no higher in incest than in normal offspring... the only danger is bad recessives

Edit: actualy i take that back the psychological damage is possible because if you break up divorce ect. it's still your family

Most "mutations" are the result of dominant recessive genes all ready existing within a germline. In fact, technically, every variation between all people is technically a "mutation", but we don't refer to the normal dominant traits as such, just the bad, undesirable ones.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 08:17:19 PM by Eerongal »
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Pie is clearly the most trustworthy. Pie for president. - Me.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 11, 2009, 10:24:17 PM »
A mutation as i understand it is when a cell reproduces incorrectly differing from the genetic code, and there are harmless mutations out there
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Eerongal

• Level 23
  • That jaunty jackanapes with moxie and pizzazz
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #124 on: May 11, 2009, 10:50:19 PM »
A mutation as i understand it is when a cell reproduces incorrectly differing from the genetic code, and there are harmless mutations out there

actually, any differing of DNA from one generation to the next is a mutation. Evolution is a series of beneficial mutations. Everything that causes someone to turn out (genetically) different from someone else is a mutation, be it favorable, unfavorable, or purely cosmetic

Usually people think of mutation as the incorrect sequencing of DNA from reproduction, but this is only one *TYPE*.

All geneticly passed diseases are mutations, and if they don't always show up, are recessive.

Mental retardation can be a genetic mutation (though there are certainly other types).

However, your assessment is correct in and of less variation in the gene pool will cause recessive genes to be more common, as the dominant genes slowly get culled.

Basically, all variations in DNA were "Mutations" at some point, but many now are so commonplace we don't question it
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Pie is clearly the most trustworthy. Pie for president. - Me.

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #125 on: May 12, 2009, 06:42:17 AM »
I don't think most geneticists would accept your definition, Eerongal.  Yes, all genetic variation was once mutations, but what was once a mutation is no longer a mutation once it has become an allele passed through one's genes.
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

Writerainge

• Level 2
  • Women who behave rarely make history. ~ Unknown
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 08, 2009, 11:08:34 PM »
Uh... I have a husband... but I think I want a wife too.  Only one though, the bed would get crowded after that.   ;D
There is no need for temples, no need for complicated philosophies. My brain and my heart are my temples; my philosophy is kindness. ~Dali Lama