Author Topic: Web Design  (Read 3550 times)

Silk

• Level 31
  • Fell Points: 0
  • ...no room for someone in second place...
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
Web Design
« on: May 15, 2010, 03:44:18 AM »
Is a pain in the bottom. That's all.

*wanders off muttering about tables and which version of the logo looks better*

ryos

• Level 17
  • The Decemberween Thnikkaman
    • View Profile
Re: Web Design
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 03:46:45 AM »
If you're using tables for layout, you deserve what you get. :P
Eerongal made off with my Fluffy Puff confections.

Silk

• Level 31
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2010, 04:12:02 AM »
Why, what do YOU use? :P

Edit: I might just redo it in divs (I've barely started, it wouldn't take much)... but it's still a pain. XP
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 04:43:53 AM by Silk »

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2010, 08:54:23 AM »

Use DIVs.  They fit in W3C standards whereas tables don't.  Tables should ONLY be used for tabular data.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Silk

• Level 31
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2010, 09:41:12 PM »
I have friends who swear by tables despite that, but I ended up using divs anyway. Among other things, I find them easier to style.

ryos

• Level 17
  • The Decemberween Thnikkaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2010, 10:26:38 PM »
Certain layouts that tables excel at are difficult to achieve with divs and CSS. The biggest challenges involve vertical bars; if you want any columns to be equal in height you'll have a rough time of it with divs. This is why some people still use them.

However, in my experience, using tables for layout always gets you in the end. The layouts they create are not amenable to modification, and they produce cluttered markup files that are difficult to read and maintain. Simple, clean, semantic markup really is the best way to go. Don't let the religious zealots who decry tables as sin deter you; it's a pragmatic principle that you really should follow. You know, for your health.

And, once you let go of the layouts that CSS sucks at, you'll discover the layouts that tables suck at but divs and CSS are fantastic for.
Eerongal made off with my Fluffy Puff confections.

Silk

• Level 31
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2010, 11:29:04 PM »
Yeah, and I tend to keep my layouts pretty simple. I'm really not doing anything that needs tables.

Man, now I need to decide on colours. I hate deciding things. :P

You'd think in a band of 22 people, there would be someone who was better at this than me, but nooo...

Eerongal

• Level 23
  • That jaunty jackanapes with moxie and pizzazz
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2010, 02:08:59 PM »
i've always heard good things about squarespace. They have like automated web building tools for sites that are supposedly really easy to use, and quite powerful when it comes to designing a page. I've never actually TRIED it so I can't say for sure, i've just heard good things, but maybe it's something you might wanna look into if you're having trouble?
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Pie is clearly the most trustworthy. Pie for president. - Me.

Silk

• Level 31
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2010, 09:17:07 PM »
Hmm, thanks for the link. I've always been kind of sceptical of WYSIWYG type editors, but the demonstration of that one looks interesting. I've actually finished the design for the band's site now and just need to finish the content and decide on a colour scheme, but I'll keep it in mind for next time.

I have more trouble just deciding on a look and feel than I do actually coding what I come up with, usually. There's a correct way to do the latter, but I can waffle incessantly on the former. ;)

Eerongal

• Level 23
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2010, 10:01:18 PM »
Hmm, thanks for the link. I've always been kind of sceptical of WYSIWYG type editors, but the demonstration of that one looks interesting. I've actually finished the design for the band's site now and just need to finish the content and decide on a colour scheme, but I'll keep it in mind for next time.

I have more trouble just deciding on a look and feel than I do actually coding what I come up with, usually. There's a correct way to do the latter, but I can waffle incessantly on the former. ;)

Well, supposedly with them (again, from what i hear) is that if you know any coding, you can essentially get down into it and customize it further real easily.

I know leo laporte uses their service for his twit broadcasting site, and as a result they are sponsors of his, and i dont think he uses a preset template (or if he does, it's customized to heck and back)

Like i said, ive just heard good things about 'em, and if you're doing the site FOR someone else, it may be a good idea if they're as good as i hear, that way you can "turn the keys" over to the site's new owner when you're done, and let 'em do what they want with it. May be worth it to check out the free trial they have if this is something you do often.

Ya know, Just a thought.

Actually, after mentioning it earlier, i decided to do just that. I signed up for a free trial account to give it a whirl to see if it's as good as i hear. After I get off work tonight i plan on dinking around with it to check it out.
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Silk

• Level 31
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2010, 10:10:19 PM »
I won't be turning the site over to anyone as such, since I'm  a part of the band that I'm designing it for, and everyone else has shown a staggering lack of interest in having anything to do with it. XP

You've got me curious though, I'll have to check it out. Thanks :)

Eerongal

• Level 23
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2010, 10:20:09 PM »
I won't be turning the site over to anyone as such, since I'm  a part of the band that I'm designing it for, and everyone else has shown a staggering lack of interest in having anything to do with it. XP

You've got me curious though, I'll have to check it out. Thanks :)

Ah, i see :P

I got the idea it was something like "I'm doing a site for this group of friends" and not "i'm making a site for my group i'm involved in" :P
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

-R. Howard

Silk

• Level 31
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2010, 11:16:10 PM »
Haha, nah. If it was "for a group of friends" I probably wouldn't be doing it. At least,  I'm sure I wouldn't be doing it for free :P

Eerongal

• Level 23
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2010, 02:59:49 AM »
So i've been playing around with it for a bit, and it's certainly interesting, to say the least. I can see the advantages with quickly creating a site, and it's quite different from the usual "we have templates" web hosting thing.
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

-R. Howard