Author Topic: Think green, save gas?  (Read 5275 times)

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
Re: Think green, save gas?
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2009, 05:31:04 AM »
When you posted the prices, did you consider the cost of exporting these vehicles to the US? Or did you just convert them from the prices posted on the site. It seems like if they had to be exported, the price would be much higher unless they manufactured them here. Right?
If I remember right he early mentioned them opening a site in the U.S. soon.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2009, 12:22:55 PM »
they currently *AREN'T* in production, but the company predicts to have a factory starting in New York near the end of 2010/start of 2011. These vehicles are run off of compressed air, some of them hybrid air/gas vehicles, some full air.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Eerongal

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 0
  • That jaunty jackanapes with moxie and pizzazz
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2009, 12:53:37 PM »
When you posted the prices, did you consider the cost of exporting these vehicles to the US? Or did you just convert them from the prices posted on the site. It seems like if they had to be exported, the price would be much higher unless they manufactured them here. Right?

Yeah, they're gonna be manufactured in new york supposedly

Now, how this will affect price, if at all, i have no clue, but yes, i just took the euro value and converted it to US dollars, assuming they plan on selling them for around the same here.
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Pie is clearly the most trustworthy. Pie for president. - Me.

ryos

• Level 17
  • The Decemberween Thnikkaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2009, 12:20:39 AM »
It's a nice idea, I'll give them that. Inasmuch as the future of automobiles is technological diversity, I think there will be a place for their cars in the market. However, I don't know how it compares, energy efficiency-wise, with Battery Electric, which I consider the holy grail of green car technologies. Certainly a BEV is going to perform better and be a lot more pleasant to drive.

From a purely economic standpoint this technology makes a ton of sense. If they can really get them out the door for that little money, they have a huge advantage over your average BEV, whose battery pack probably costs as much or more as one of these vehicles. I'd seriously consider one based simply on price.

However, color me skeptical of those range numbers. I'd have to do some math to be sure (don't have the time or references with me here to do it right now), but I think you'd either need a huge air tank or massive pressures to get that kind of energy storage out of compressed air.

I'm also a little concerned about what happens if that air tank gets punctured in an accident. They'll have to do some serious crash testing to make it safe.

One final concern - what powers the auxiliary systems? (HVAC, stereo, wipers, headlights, etc.)
Eerongal made off with my Fluffy Puff confections.

Eerongal

• Level 23
  • That jaunty jackanapes with moxie and pizzazz
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2009, 04:33:37 PM »
*practices a little thread necromancy*

So, apparently GM is releasing a Hybrid Hummer
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Pie is clearly the most trustworthy. Pie for president. - Me.