Author Topic: review: Star Trek (some thread comments contain spoilers)  (Read 15119 times)

Renoard

• Level 20
  • Fell Points: 0
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
Re: review: Star Trek (some thread comments contain spoilers)
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2009, 06:22:06 PM »
Fell,

I love Scifi (Sci Fi as in the overcommercialized and under critical network), but TV has never produced very much in the way of Sci Fi.  Hollywood thinks that Sci Fantasy, like Trek with the mythical particle for every occasion.  Again I like Sci Fantasy, but you can only take so much of the same thing.  Now, Galatica was grittier than some, and the acting was superb.  But they made their share of errors.  They did fall prey to many of the same mistakes I cited.

The big question, What is Kara Thrace, was never answered.  The whole issue of biological or machine on the android Cylons, they contradicted themselves from one episode to the next.

Somehow, while ships need to make short extra-spacial "jumps" to get from one sector to the next, the core dump of a Cylon can get to the resurrection ship without a jump engine.  Noone can get things perfect, I wouldn't expect them to.  But they really did a submachine gun to fire the magic bullets, much like Bab5 and Star Trek did.

It was a good series, however.
You can always get what you want if you never count the cost.

Fellfrosch

• Administrator
  • Level 68
  • Fell Points: 42
  • Walkin' with a dead man over my shoulder.
    • View Profile
    • Fearful Symmetry
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2009, 07:14:10 PM »
I was referring more to the public reception than to the science, but I'm pretty sure we're talking about different things by now. Don't worry about it.
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger. Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die." --Mel Brooks

My author website: http://www.fearfulsymmetry.net

Renoard

• Level 20
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2009, 07:36:26 PM »
Ah, yeah I did misinterpret where you were going.  Public reception of Galatica was good, indeed.  Course counting Syndication, Trek is the series everyone loves to scorn, but noone is unaware of.

ErikHolmes

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2009, 08:46:03 PM »
Personally, I don't see how changing the timeline is going to screw things up really. There aren't ever going to be any other Next Gen movies, Voyager Movies, or DS9 Movies, so  for me, the old history doesn't matter.

The history was screwed up, wrong and bad anyway. They were forced to redo the history all of the time, I mean, didn't Kahn take over in like 1990?

We'll probably end up getting another 2 or 3 Star Trek movies with these actors, then they'll trying something else.
Who the hell is interrupting my Kung Fu!

Liathiana

• Level 3
  • For Pony!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 20, 2009, 11:19:38 PM »
I suppose I'm just too simplistic as to see the implications but I see no problem with the alternate reality. It doesn't negate the other timeline, it exists alongside it as I'm sure millions upon millions of other realities do. I'm really excited to see what new adventures take place! I watched Star Trek 3 times and it jumped to my second favorite movie after I saw it the first time ;D
"Behold! I have discovered the FORK OF TRUTH! Who would dare oppose me now?! Now that I am armed with my anger...and my fork!" Richard (LFG)

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2009, 05:33:20 PM »
My biggest problem with this movie was Uhura kissing Spock.  Ick, ick, ew.  And she did it in the creepiest way possible.  "Oh, Spock, now that you're emotionally vulnerable from having your mother die right before your eyes, let me steal a smooch."
If I had any clue, would I be here?

ryos

• Level 17
  • The Decemberween Thnikkaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 22, 2009, 06:38:53 PM »
My biggest problem with this movie was Uhura kissing Spock.  Ick, ick, ew.  And she did it in the creepiest way possible.  "Oh, Spock, now that you're emotionally vulnerable from having your mother die right before your eyes, let me steal a smooch."

I'm pretty sure they were already dating, and she was trying to comfort him. At least, that's how I took it.
Eerongal made off with my Fluffy Puff confections.

Liathiana

• Level 3
  • For Pony!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 22, 2009, 11:13:46 PM »
That's how I took it as well, especially after one of the scenes before it when he mentions he didn't want to assign her to Enterprise because it might be mistaken for favoritism.
"Behold! I have discovered the FORK OF TRUTH! Who would dare oppose me now?! Now that I am armed with my anger...and my fork!" Richard (LFG)

Renoard

• Level 20
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2009, 01:26:53 AM »
 Sygy's take that it was predatory, "this is my man," and yours that it had president seem both to be true.  They were dating, and she took that moment to further undermine his emotional state by introducing sexuality into a battle, and his grief."

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2009, 06:42:43 PM »
I'm with ryos. I don't think there was anything manipulative in her intent.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Liathiana

• Level 3
  • For Pony!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2009, 04:09:32 AM »
I'm going to run a Star Trek themed Mafia game now! I love this movie ;D

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2009, 06:38:23 AM »
I love it too! It's in the cheap theatre's now in Rexburg, so it only costs 2 or 3 dollars depending on what night you go. I really wanted to go last night, but none of roommates wanted to see it....It was very sad, and it was the same thing tonight....They're apparently not Trek fans, which I wasn't either until this movie. It won me over. I love it SO much...
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Jurisprude

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2009, 07:50:38 PM »
The whole Uhura/Spock thing did take some getting used to ...

I thought Zachary Quinto did a great job though.  The acting all around was good; especially liked Simon Pegg as Scotty.  Prompted me to go out and rent "Run Fat Boy, Run", a fun little British indie (?) flick staring him, Hank Azaria, and Thandie Newton.

Recovering_Cynic

• Level 13
  • Except vampires. Vampires suck.
    • View Profile
    • my livejournal
« Reply #43 on: December 27, 2009, 08:38:21 PM »
So I am going to necro this thread because I finally saw the movie last night.  It was good, and I loved every minute of it, except for that one pesky logic flaw...  I'm surprised nobody has pointed it out yet.  Right before the crew launches the assault on the romulans near the end, they are planning on the bridge, and then Spock says, "I will go aboard and attempt to steal back the red matter . . ."

How did Spock know the red matter was stolen?  He knew nothing about the technology, didn't know it was federation, didn't know it was brought back in time, especially didn't know it was stolen; he didn't know anything about it (as evidenced by his comments when he boarded the vessel with Kirk later).  I'm okay with hokey technology and suspended disbelief, but logic flaws in movies bug me.
this is the way the world ends,
not with a bang, but a whimper
~T.S. Eliot

mtlhddoc2

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 27, 2009, 09:14:26 PM »
cynic, I noticed that too. there were a few other small, but egregious, logic flaws in it as well. But all in all, I appreciated the movie alot more than I expected to. Frankly, as a long long long time Star Trek fan, I thought the movie would out and out stink. And I am now looking forward to the sequel.