Author Topic: Alpha readers, please  (Read 2715 times)

maxonennis

• Level 8
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Alpha readers, please
« on: April 30, 2009, 04:56:30 PM »
I need alpha readers for an incomplete fantasy crossover. (I hesitate to call it incomplete because I consider the "novel" to be a series of novellas, and this arch to be the first of the series. By that distinction, it is complete.) It is currently about 17,000 words (my word processor says 18,000, so it’s probably about a thousand words less than that). I just completing the first major character arch and I’m on the brink of expanding the story into another, more complicated arch. BUT I need to know which way to go with the voice of the main character.

It’s written in first person, has romantic themes, reads like a fictional memoir, is neither epic nor urban, and is set in a fantasy world but is character driven and very centralized. The setting is a world without humans: all the characters are non-humans. The magic is subtle, but plays a big part in the story. I don’t use any traditional fantasy species. It isn’t a quest, but a survival story (this arch anyway). Not much about the world is given in this chunk, but it is action packed and fast paced. I’ve been told by a reliable source that there are some disturbing themes in this, so spots are awkward reading.

Thanks!
"Don't argue with ignorance. And when you argue with me, that's all you get!" Mike

Maxonennis’ soliloquy on Frog relations: “How can I bake the hall in the candle of her brain?”

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Re: Alpha readers, please
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 04:58:54 PM »
What do you mean by crossover?
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

maxonennis

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 05:03:25 PM »
What do you mean by crossover?

Not quite YA, not quite adult.
"Don't argue with ignorance. And when you argue with me, that's all you get!" Mike

Maxonennis’ soliloquy on Frog relations: “How can I bake the hall in the candle of her brain?”

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 08:48:10 PM »
I would suggest that you look first for people that you know in Real Life and can meet in person.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

maxonennis

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 09:02:44 PM »
I would suggest that you look first for people that you know in Real Life and can meet in person.

I have one person I know that will. That's not enought for a honest opinion.

Renoard

• Level 20
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2009, 12:40:15 AM »
Have you considered the Reading Excuses group?
You can always get what you want if you never count the cost.

PW

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2009, 09:22:35 PM »
I would be interested in Alpha reading, if you are still looking.