Poll

What is your favorite kind of food?

American (including Western, Southern, Mormon)
Mexican
Chinese (including Tibetan)
Japanese
Southeast Asian (Thai, Vietnamese, etc.)
Korean
African
Middle Eastern (including Jewish)
French
Indian
German/Scandinavian
British/Irish
Italian
Eastern European
Other Asian
Other European
Other Latin American
Something else?

Author Topic: Favorite food?  (Read 9104 times)

Pink Bunkadoo

• Level 7
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Ookla's sister
    • View Profile
    • Helena's webpage
Re: Favorite food?
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2009, 06:50:57 AM »
We recently went to a non-Mormon funeral where food was served.  I would imagine it's pretty common.  (Though my brother-in-law's girlfriend commented, in kind of a stage-whisper, that the Mormons put on a better spread.   ;) )
~금강산도 식후경~

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2009, 09:23:48 PM »
Mormons certainly do not have a monopoly on funeral food; most church funerals I've attended also include a meal at least for the family members, if not all attendees.  I wouldn't be surprised if the LDS funeral food is better, though - usually the Lutheran and Presbyterian funeral lunches consist of ham loaf or chicken casserole, with jello and cake.
He ate my horse.

benvolio3

• Level 3
  • Satan's got nothing over me
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2009, 01:26:07 AM »
I went to my friends house and his mother cooked some really delicious food. It was a bit spicy but I really enjoyed it (even though I'm not a big fan of spicy stuff). I asked him what kind of food it was and he said it was some Indonesian type of chicken. It was awesome! so... yeah Indonesian foods == awesome. And of course American foods, Italian foods and Japanese foods, etc.
I'm in a band man!
www.myspace.com/thoughtsinframe

I'm actually only temporarily in the band...

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2009, 02:57:37 AM »
An Ahlstrom favorite is Indonesian Bami. Yummy stuff.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2009, 06:11:22 PM »
We always have a collation after funerals here, and it always involves a ton of food.  I picked American, though I really don't have a distinct favorite. 
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

Tage

• Level 29
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2009, 10:05:16 PM »
Oy, how has this thread not been moved off to Rants already? Off with you!
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2009, 11:27:02 PM »
I believe that it was in the [EDIT: Suggestions Box] forum so the poll would show up on the TWG main page, and now the main page poll is the holiday name poll (again?)...
« Last Edit: May 09, 2009, 04:24:34 AM by Ookla The Mok »
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2009, 01:58:26 AM »
That's exactly why, and for that reason I'm moving it back until we have a new poll up.  (Sorry, Tage.)
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

Tage

• Level 29
  • That thing exing the machina? That's Deus.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2009, 07:37:26 PM »
Oh, well shows what I know. I didn't realize the poll was connected like that. Apologies!
"The Maintenance Shed will sometimes spontaneously explode after being built."

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2009, 10:46:03 AM »
No big deal.  Nice to see you around on the forums again, Tage, BTW.
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2009, 06:01:38 AM »
So, we have 14 total votes, but 17 for Italian?  Something doesn't seem right here...

Liathiana

• Level 3
  • For Pony!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2009, 09:54:02 PM »
Thai
Italian
Chinese/American

My absolute favorite food is Thai, especially the curries!  In fact the only curries I've liked have been Thai. And all the food I've tried has been fabulous. My favorite restaurant is Indochine, found in Tacoma, Washington though recently I found a fantastic (if not as good) Thai restaurant in Reno. I can't wait to go again!

Italian was my favorite until I encountered Thai food. I love pasta's and bread and Olive Garden is still one of my favorite restaurants.

Chinese food is just a classic. Nothing like going to a Chinese restaurant, drinking the cups of tea, figuring out your Chinese sign yet once again and all those yummy noodle dishes and sticky rice, mmm. American is on the list because I love BBQ's and Burgers and Steak!

I think Religions/Denonimations can definitely have a distinctive food culture. Growing up as a Seventh Day Adventist, my family was one of the more liberal Adventists. The health message is almost as important to the Church as is the Prophetic side of things (not trying to get into religious debate here, just saying what was important in my Church). I would say that at least 50-60 % (if not more, maybe I'm guesstimating too low) of Adventists are Vegetarians. And about 40 % of those are Vegans. Most of the churches I went to had purely Vegetarian potlucks (I'm assuming most of you know what those are) with a smattering of Vegan dishes thrown in. These were the mostly "white", mid-conservative churches that my parents preferred. Some of the more cultural churches (predominantly black or spanish or Samoan/Tongan) served mostly meat dishes. Anyways, that is probably only interesting to me.

My family ate both meat and vegetarian dishes regularly. However, we did so according to the Clean foods in Leviticus, avoiding any of the Unclean meats. I find that prejudice (I don't really consider it a belief on my part anymore) still affects me to this day. I find shrimp and ham completely unappealing (to name some). The only weakness I really have is for pepperoni and that is strictly on pizza.

Anyways I'll stop rambling other than to say that Haystacks is a pretty common, widespread Adventist food that you can find in our churches everywhere.
"Behold! I have discovered the FORK OF TRUTH! Who would dare oppose me now?! Now that I am armed with my anger...and my fork!" Richard (LFG)

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2009, 06:40:55 AM »
Reno has an excellent Thai scene, Liathiana.  I particularly recommend the Thai Chili, though Bangkok Cuisine is pretty good, too (especially their curry puffs).  If you want a more upscale experience, the Basil in Carson City is quite good, but it's priced accordingly (closer to Olive Garden prices, which is high for Thai).  Of course, where Reno really shines is Sushi...

Thai happens to be my favorite cuisine, too, and the one I have most experience cooking.  If you like authentic Chinese, I can recommend Shanghai Restaurant (also called "Da Shanghai" in Chinese).  It's out in Sparks (by Reed H.S.), but it's pretty dang good, and rather affordable.  If you call a day in advance, they can even make a lovely Peking Duck.

Haystacks, as in Hawaiian Haystacks?

Liathiana

• Level 3
  • For Pony!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2009, 11:49:16 PM »
I've never tried Sushi, I'm not sure I"ll like it. I'm not a big seafood person. I'm pretty sure the Thai restaurant I tried was Bangkok Cuisine though I can't remember off of the top of my head, it's just down the street from the Peppermill. I live in Carson and I was a little leery about trying Basil Thai but I'll have to check it out now! The money would end up being about the same once you account for gas prices!

I've actually never heard of Hawaiian Haystacks but I looked it up and it doesn't sound similar. Basically haystacks is chips (usually Frito's) and then you can add whatever toppings you like on top. Refried beans, lettuce, olives, tomatoes, onions, sour cream, ranch, ketchup, beef, etc etc etc. It's really easy to make for a big group of people and they can pick and choose what they like.
"Behold! I have discovered the FORK OF TRUTH! Who would dare oppose me now?! Now that I am armed with my anger...and my fork!" Richard (LFG)

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2009, 11:52:32 PM »
I need like three votes atleast...unless i can put other and say red meat b/c if thats done right ill eat it any which way and be very very happy! i like steak tar tar even
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz