Poll

What is your favorite kind of food?

American (including Western, Southern, Mormon)
Mexican
Chinese (including Tibetan)
Japanese
Southeast Asian (Thai, Vietnamese, etc.)
Korean
African
Middle Eastern (including Jewish)
French
Indian
German/Scandinavian
British/Irish
Italian
Eastern European
Other Asian
Other European
Other Latin American
Something else?

Author Topic: Favorite food?  (Read 10328 times)

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
Re: Favorite food?
« Reply #45 on: June 28, 2009, 08:14:40 AM »
What!? Hamburgers aren't German? But...what about Hamburg?

(and yes...I am joking...)
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Renoard

• Level 20
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
« Reply #46 on: June 28, 2009, 09:33:13 AM »
Chow mein is transliterated yes.  But chowing is stir-frying in Cantonese and Mein is noodle.  Lo-mein is another type of Chinese noodle dish.  Unless the girl I dated from Shanghai AND my wife and the girl from Maylasia. . .no I think I have to right about this on or decide that girls who speak Chinese lie about noodles. :P
You can always get what you want if you never count the cost.

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2009, 12:58:15 PM »
"Chow Mein" is not even proper Cantonese.  It's the Anglicization of a Taishanese word, and the dish as we eat it in the US today does not resemble Southeastern Chinese food.  Given that I generally eat (authentic, home-made) Cantonese food around a few days a week, I'm guessing I have a pretty good idea as to what it tastes like (though, I will admit, they'll sometimes make Hunanese or Szechuan food, too, to spice things up a bit).

"Chao Mian", on the other hand, is simply a Chinese word for ANY stir-fried dish containing noodles.

Moreover, there's actually an author who has claimed that this specific dish (in its current, well-known variety) was invented in the US.

(BTW, evidently, in the East [Coast], Chow Mein is usually served with crispy noodles.  In the West, it is served with soft noodles.)
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 30, 2009, 01:04:18 AM »
Well aren't french fries american...we call abunch of things names that aren't really accurate and have bissare beliefs on certain foods being authentic (i met someone who thought fortune cookies were from china like b.c. era) and people confuse tex mex with authentic mexican food all the time
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz