Author Topic: Favorite author  (Read 14873 times)

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
Favorite author
« on: April 29, 2009, 11:18:06 PM »
This isn't a "best" author as in most skilled...but who's works do you enjoy reading the most... I have a tie between Robert Heinlein and Rodger Zelazny
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite author
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2009, 07:36:35 AM »
If we say just fantasy mine is Brandon, but if you say all of writing ever it's most likely Agamben.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

ErikHolmes

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 08:21:54 AM »
Roger Zelazny is on a pedestal to me. So he's number one. After reading The Hero of Ages though I started really wondering if Brandon was my new favorite. Man, that scene at Kredik Shaw was really cool (sniff--why couldn't Matrix Revolutions have ended cool like that).

Right below them though would be Steven Brust and E. E. Knight. Brandon, Brust and Knight are about the only three authors that I keep track of when their new stuff is coming out.
Who the hell is interrupting my Kung Fu!

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 09:18:42 AM »
I'm going to go against your will, Kaz, and say Tolkien, who is not the person whose writing I prefer the most.

The problem is, when it comes to quality of read, I'm just not that attatched to authors—some are better than others, certainly, but I find more relevance in discussing books and series than talking about the author.

For example:  I considered Elantris to be middling Fantasy (on the better side of middling).  But I think Mistborn is excellent.
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

Renoard

• Level 20
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 10:59:49 AM »
Can't say that I can settle on just one favorite.

I'd say that the top few are Watson, Jordan, Hogan, and Chalker.

No scratch that. Dumas kills em all. :D
You can always get what you want if you never count the cost.

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2009, 11:36:26 AM »
Three Musketeers was excellent.  He's a hard read in French, though.  Man's vocabulary was huge.

(Nothing quite so exasperating as looking up a word to discover you've never heard of its translation!)
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

Eerongal

• Level 23
  • That jaunty jackanapes with moxie and pizzazz
    • View Profile
    • Rockin' with the Erock
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2009, 03:09:07 PM »
Douglas adams is by far my favorite. Every book of his is a complete joy to read, and I find no parts of any of his work boring or mundane.
[shameless plug]
My site
[/shameless plug]

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
-R. Howard

Pie is clearly the most trustworthy. Pie for president. - Me.

Comfortable Madness

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2009, 04:30:25 PM »
Like most I can't decide on just one. A few of my favorites would be Martin, Sanderson, and Jordan.
“I will never serve you, Father of Lies. In a thousand lives, I never have. I know that. I’m sure of it. Come. It is time to die.” Rand al'Thor

"Mourn if you must. But mourn on the march to Tarmon Gai'don." Logain Ablar

Sigyn

• Level 15
  • Nonononono
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2009, 05:56:19 PM »
I love Diana Wynne Jones. She was the first fantasy author I read, and I've loved her ever since. I also love Terry Pratchett, Patricia C. Wrede, Patricia McKillip, and Robin McKinley.
If I had any clue, would I be here?

Renoard

• Level 20
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2009, 10:05:12 PM »
Now Lynn Abbey is particularly good.  But I prefer the work she did in the Sanctuary anthologies.  Haven't been able to get into her novels.  If she hit on a topic and plot as good as Shadowspawn in her novels I'd move her into the list above. ;P
You can always get what you want if you never count the cost.

readerMom

• Level 8
    • View Profile
    • Books, mostly
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2009, 01:34:21 AM »
For me it depends on my mood.  If I am feeling lazy I know I can always read a Pratchett novel and they are all on my bookshelf so i don't need to go to the library.
I've loved Heinlein since I was a kid but I don't reread him so much anymore. 
New authors, Sanderson (of course), I just read Old Man's War and I think I'm going to have to check out the rest of Scalzi (ducks :P), and Dianna Wynne Jones.
I have found a lot of authors that I love one or two things enough to buy and re read but can't stand some of their other stuff, Connie Willis for example.

maxonennis

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2009, 08:14:29 PM »
Hemingway.
"Don't argue with ignorance. And when you argue with me, that's all you get!" Mike

Maxonennis’ soliloquy on Frog relations: “How can I bake the hall in the candle of her brain?”

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2009, 10:09:30 AM »
The Old Man and the Sea was enough to put me off Hemingway forever...

Granted, I read it when I was so young that I should probably give him another chance...

maxonennis

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2009, 05:19:26 AM »
The Old Man and the Sea was enough to put me off Hemingway forever...

Granted, I read it when I was so young that I should probably give him another chance...

That's my favorite novel (despite the fact it is in truth a novella), and I too read it at a young age.
"Don't argue with ignorance. And when you argue with me, that's all you get!" Mike

Maxonennis’ soliloquy on Frog relations: “How can I bake the hall in the candle of her brain?”

Bastille

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2009, 03:08:24 PM »
I can't settle for one author. If I HAD to pick it would be Brandon or Rowling (I feel like I spelled that wrong).
Nature's first green is gold
Her hardest hue to hold. Her early leaf's a flower;
But only so an hour. Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief, So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay.