Poll

Have you read Warbreaker online and do you plan to buy it in book form??

Yes I have read it online and Yes I plan to buy the book.
40 (66.7%)
Yes I have read it online but No I don't plan on buying the book.
3 (5%)
No I haven't read it online but I plan on buying the book.
15 (25%)
No I haven't read it online and I don't plan on buying the book.
0 (0%)
Other (explain)
2 (3.3%)

Total Members Voted: 60

Author Topic: Warbreaker  (Read 7252 times)

GreedyAlgorithm

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Warbreaker
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2009, 05:30:28 PM »
Around 1/20 of the books I buy are hardcover. I bought Mistborn 3 in hardcover. I will not be buying Warbreaker in hardcover, since I've read it online, but I will be buying it in paperback. Data!

Renoard

• Level 20
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2009, 10:35:29 PM »
Explanation: I have read it online and will likely check it out at the library to compare 6.1 with the release.
You can always get what you want if you never count the cost.

Bastille

• Level 10
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2009, 11:14:36 PM »
I've tried reading it on the computer but I learned I don't like to so I'm going to wait until I can buy it.

Some of you are lucky to have number copies. I can't get on because I live almost half way across the country. i know I can get them on line but I just haven't gotton to it yet.
Nature's first green is gold
Her hardest hue to hold. Her early leaf's a flower;
But only so an hour. Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief, So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2009, 02:19:58 AM »
Im in the same boat with you.... :'(
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Renoard

• Level 20
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2009, 02:22:56 AM »
umm 6.1 is the version number that BS applied to the last .doc version he put on his site.

ryos

• Level 17
  • The Decemberween Thnikkaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2009, 01:03:06 AM »
I'll probably get the paperback. I buy very few hardcovers because I simply can't afford to pay $28 for a book.
Eerongal made off with my Fluffy Puff confections.

Fantomboo

• Level 1
  • I like PIE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2009, 04:32:43 AM »
I have read some of it on the computer. I prefer to have a book in my hands to read or my Kindel. But I have pre ordered the book so I am good..
Don't use words too big for the subject. Don't say "infinitely" when you mean "very"; otherwise you'll have no word left when you want to talk about something really infinite.
C.S. Lewis

readerMom

• Level 8
    • View Profile
    • Books, mostly
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2009, 05:58:55 PM »
When I lived in a city with a large library system I bought paperback because I could get almost everything through the library first.  My hardback collection is  expanding since I moved to a small town.
 I hate reading on my computer, I haven't even tried Warbreaker because I don't want to even start until I can read it in a comfy place.
And it comes out next month! It's nice to be able to say that now.

clockworkspider

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2009, 03:48:33 AM »
I plan to buy Warbreaker, although I don't know when...I may wait for the paperback.
Bridge Four:  At least Guardsmen get T-shirts.

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2009, 11:30:16 PM »
I plan to buy it for two reasons:
1) It was awesome.
2) I want Brandon to survive long enough to write more books. This is me doing my part in supporting him.

And seriously, I'm a sixteen year old kid with no job, trying to figure out how to pay for college, etc. I'll be buying this book, and I'll be doing so out of my own pocket. I understand that there are some people who can't afford it at all right now, but the rest of you who can ought to at least buy the paperback to support Brandon's work.
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

FantasyAngel

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2009, 01:09:03 AM »
I have read the 4.2 version on-line  and I plan to buy the hardback as soon as it's out even if I have to order it specifically from America.   I really hate reading books on-line yet I just had to read it and it was well worth it.   I thought it was a great book and definitely want to own it.
In a world gone mad escape into fantasy.

Renoard

• Level 20
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2009, 09:51:47 AM »
Books online are harder to read and it's tedious.  You can't roll over on your side and much pretzels that way.  (pretzel crumbs in the keyboard are not fun.)  It's also a pain in the but to search for something if you can't remember at least partial keywords.  With a paper book you can have a vague impression of where it was and what the passage looked like, then scan.

There were good points and some not so good points in Warbreaker.  The biggest issue is that I felt Warbreaker and Vivenna were guests in the great little book about Susebron and his bride.  The natural extension seemed to be to explore how Suse and Siri reform the nation and begin to set the people and the "gods" free.  It was quite a lurch to find that no Vivenna and Warbringer were the stars.  Go figure.  :) But we've only seen beta versions so far, so maybe some of that got fixed in the copy editorial.

FantasyAngel

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2009, 11:24:23 AM »
There were good points and some not so good points in Warbreaker. The biggest issue is that I felt Warbreaker and Vivenna were guests in the great little book about Susebron and his bride. The natural extension seemed to be to explore how Suse and Siri reform the nation and begin to set the people and the "gods" free. It was quite a lurch to find that no Vivenna and Warbringer were the stars. Go figure. :) But we've only seen beta versions so far, so maybe some of that got fixed in the copy editorial.

Yeah I know what you mean but that was part of what I liked about this book and Brandon's other books, you never know what will happen next.  I love a book that has good twists and keeps you guessing.  I think the ending could of involved a bit of the battle between the Lifeless and the Statues  but then that's just me I love a good battle scene.
In a world gone mad escape into fantasy.

Wolfstar

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2009, 09:00:11 PM »
My major thing is if I'm reading a series, I want to try and get the whole thing in one format (paperback or hardcover).  I started with Mistborn in paperback, so I wanted the whole trilogy in paperback, haha.  With Warbreaker, I'm around for the hardcover version to come out and it's a oneshot (I think?) so I'll be getting it just about as soon as I can physically make it to the bookstore after the hardcover comes out.
You can think without acting and you can act without thinking... but which is worse?

Liam

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2009, 12:02:46 AM »
My major thing is if I'm reading a series, I want to try and get the whole thing in one format (paperback or hardcover).  I started with Mistborn in paperback, so I wanted the whole trilogy in paperback, haha.  With Warbreaker, I'm around for the hardcover version to come out and it's a oneshot (I think?) so I'll be getting it just about as soon as I can physically make it to the bookstore after the hardcover comes out.
Same here.  I bought Hero of Ages when it came out in hardback and I had to recently buy it in paperback so it would match the rest of the series.  Elantris is in paperback as well.