Poll

Have you read Warbreaker online and do you plan to buy it in book form??

Yes I have read it online and Yes I plan to buy the book.
40 (66.7%)
Yes I have read it online but No I don't plan on buying the book.
3 (5%)
No I haven't read it online but I plan on buying the book.
15 (25%)
No I haven't read it online and I don't plan on buying the book.
0 (0%)
Other (explain)
2 (3.3%)

Total Members Voted: 60

Author Topic: Warbreaker  (Read 7658 times)

Hero of Ages

• Level 6
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Warbreaker
« on: April 29, 2009, 07:06:42 AM »
EUOL stated in his blog that he is worried about the sales of his forthcoming book Warbreaker and I was just curious to see who has read it and if you are going to buy it anyway.

I read it online and loved it so I plan on buying it and rereading the finished product.
I must not fear;
Fear is the mind killer;
I will face my fear;
I will let it pass through me;
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing;
Only I will remain.
-Paul Muad'dib Atreides-

Anticipation of death is worse than death itself.
-Me-

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
Re: Warbreaker
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 07:09:13 AM »
I half read it.  It got to the point where I just skimmed because I was reading like 5 books at once, that I can't stand reading books on a computer or on one side of paper.  (I know the latter is a bit weird.)

I enjoyed it and will buy it for sure.  I have read a couple of EUOL's books on my computer and DEFINITELY plan on buying them once they come out.  I'm a collector though. ha ha.  I currently have all of his books in hard back and signed (two of which are numbered)
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 07:19:55 AM »
What only two?  :D
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2009, 07:21:35 AM »
LOL

Yes, sadly I never was able to make it to a signing until the HoA release.  Although I did get a signed copy of  Elantris they had left over from a signing he did here. ha ha.  You should get on FB I haven't downloaded messenger since I last fixed my computer.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

MajSpike

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2009, 07:24:15 AM »
I printed myself a copy of the latest online version Brandon posted. Unfortunately, the printing didn't go over too well and I've many, many occasions where the printer skipped some pages or had other pages stuck together. It's a real mess. I haven't tried to re-print and I don't plan to.

I will be picking up the book in June, though.

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2009, 07:27:03 AM »
I think all of my hbs except Elantris are numbered.

And I am on fb.  Just barely, but hey, I also just finished a very Gabby episode so... *shrug*
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

Inkthinker

• Level 11
  • Animation and Illustration
    • View Profile
    • inkthinker.deviantart.com
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2009, 08:28:15 AM »
I read it, and I'll still be buying it. I expect there may be some minor changes, it's been almost a year since I read it anyhow.

I'm also fascinated to see how, if at all, it will affect his sales. I suspect that this might be a case where his rising visibility as Jordan's successor might play against him, as before I didn't think the number of fans who would have downloaded and read it would be as significant as the number of potential purchasers who would discover it for the the first time on the shelf, but I think a lot more people have been looking at him lately, and may have spotted the free book, and checked it out.

Now, how many of those people will also buy the book... well, that's the question, isn't it?

Has he said anything about the total number of people who downloaded the file? Surely this number is being tracked so that it can be compared to sales data post-publishing.

« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 09:01:19 PM by Inkthinker »

AGrey

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2009, 08:50:12 AM »
I read one of the earlier drafts when it was still being posted as a work in progress, but i stopped posting here before the final version was released (I think.  Not entirely sure which one was the latest I read), and haven't read it since.

so yea, i'll be buying the book when it arrives
My old account demented_yam is on the Warbreaker acknowledgments page.  Awesome.

achren99

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2009, 02:27:23 PM »
I read the whole thing multiple times online (different versions, etc.).   I don't love reading on a computer, but for some things it's worth it.  I loved Warbreaker--it was possibly my favorite so far--so of course I'm going to buy it!  (And everyone else should too...)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 02:50:49 PM by achren99 »

Rrikor

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2009, 02:33:14 PM »
I read it online and was very impressed.  I am sure I will purchase it at some point but I can not do that right now.  My budget is shot and I need to get it under control before I can buy anything.  That may mean that I do not end up with a hard cover of this book and I normally only buy hard covers.  Then again my book club does stock Brandon so I can order the hardcover through them for 15. 

apbadd

• Level 3
  • Rejected as a Mistborn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2009, 07:33:54 PM »
I read part of it, but am not a fan of reading from a computer.  I will buy the book although i shouldn't because I am poor and I probably won't be able to read it for some time b/c of my WOT re-re-read.

zas678

• Level 7
  • Job Title: Hoid Desciption: RAFO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2009, 01:03:54 AM »
I have also read it online and plan on buying the hardback, but one thing to keep in mind with this poll is that the people who are here are the dedicated fans.....
“It’s a fun tradition.”
“So was witch-burning,” Melody said.  “Unless you were the witch.”

Natalie Perkins

• Level 4
    • View Profile
    • NataliePerkins.cjb.net
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2009, 03:27:08 AM »
I've read the various drafts multiple times and had to tell myself in like december that I wasn't allowed to read it again until it came out for real so I'll enjoy it more then. (That's what happened when I read Mistborn for the second time about 6 months after I had originally read it. And I work as a cashier and have a lot of down time, so that's where I was reading and the patrons were giving me very odd looks once I started squealing and jumping up and down when I realized that my favorite part was coming up.)

Also, that cover is so pretty, I just want it on my bookshelf. Then again, even if it wasn't pretty I'd want it on my bookshelf... I'm rambling. But yeah, I'm totally getting it =]
‘Never trust a teenage boy in a room of teenage girls to be on time.’ (Wievorann Ch.6)

zas678

• Level 7
  • Job Title: Hoid Desciption: RAFO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2009, 07:37:16 AM »
The cover is pretty nice. I think it may be the best out of them all..... besides maybe HoA paperpack (for me at least)
“It’s a fun tradition.”
“So was witch-burning,” Melody said.  “Unless you were the witch.”

The Incredible Thorbear

• Level 2
  • I'm like the hammer of Thor, but actually a bear.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2009, 03:22:47 PM »
I will buy it and read it, and then after that I think I will work my way through all the drafts.

Look on my Works ye Mighty, and despair!