Author Topic: Teaching racism  (Read 8871 times)

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
Re: Teaching racism
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2009, 02:27:30 PM »
That is absolutely amazing, I'm not going to lie.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2009, 03:39:27 PM »
I know in my head it's sad but im laughing so hard im trying to keep my ass from falling off...
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2009, 05:02:26 PM »
That Klingon thing—any sources for that? I found this:
http://www.kake.com/blogs/jaredcerullo/40490362.html
but it's not corroborated anywhere.
Here's some other stuff I found...
http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/display.php?id=10873
http://www.snopes.com/humor/iftrue/klingon.asp

Part of my heritage involves people who migrated to and built a new world on a new continent some 10-15 thousand years ago.  They've been the target of genocide, cultural warfare and a religious teachings intended to dehumanized us. :P  No biggy, but I've been all over my body looking for my mark and haven't found one yet.
Um, if you're referring to some kind of LDS religious teaching, I'm afraid you're quite mistaken about what the church teaches. But if you're not talking about anything LDS, then never mind.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2009, 05:18:09 PM »
I really liked the article about the guy that was teaching his son Klingon as an experiment. 

Speaking of constructed languages I used to have a bunch of friends that spoke Tolkein's Elvish.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2009, 05:42:37 PM »
Just, please, nobody try to teach their kids Spook's dialect.
He ate my horse.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2009, 05:56:18 PM »
There's not enough of it to teach from anyway.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2009, 05:59:26 PM »
I think there is, if you focus on just a speech pattern.  I agree that there isn't enough vernacularity though.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

mtlhddoc2

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2009, 08:17:31 PM »
Part of my heritage involves people who migrated to and built a new world on a new continent some 10-15 thousand years ago.  They've been the target of genocide, cultural warfare and a religious teachings intended to dehumanized us. :P  No biggy, but I've been all over my body looking for my mark and haven't found one yet.

Um, if you're referring to some kind of LDS religious teaching, I'm afraid you're quite mistaken about what the church teaches. But if you're not talking about anything LDS, then never mind.

i dont think the Mormons came to North America, or anywhere, 15 thousand years ago. I do believe Mormonism is only about a 200 year old religion. He is saying that he has Native American ancestors. No culture in teh history of the world has faced the brutality and genocide that the American Indian has faced. And before your say it, no, not even the Jewish peoples. Not like that, but they would be second.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2009, 08:42:53 PM »
mtlhddoc2, I know he's talking about Native Americans. My question was about the "religious teachings intended to dehumanize us" and the "mark" he hasn't found. The Book of Mormon talks about a people it claims are among the ancestors of the Native Americans. Some of what it says could be misconstrued in the way Renoard mentions. Unless I am misinterpreting what he was saying (he would have to answer that), I think that is what he was referring to. (But this question was already covered in this thread back in March).

I do not dispute the genocide of the Native Americans, though more of them died because of pandemic rather than conscious action on the part of the Europeans.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 08:50:33 PM by Ookla The Mok »

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2009, 08:51:23 PM »
Hell everyone that has been in the south several generations has native american blood...i have two tribes making up 3/32 so not enough to get me benefits...
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Shaggy

• Level 32
  • I advise you not to argue. We have chipmunks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2009, 10:28:00 PM »
What's 'FUD?'
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

Bringer of Flames, Leader of Destruction, Head Chipmunk.

High Chipolata of C.F.N (Chipmunks For Nuts)

"You sound like a commercial."

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2009, 11:12:36 PM »

mtlhddoc2

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2009, 12:07:12 AM »
Ookla, yes, pandemic, but they would not have died in the numbers that they did if they had not been driven into "reservations" and stripped of any semblance of humanity beforehand...   anyway...  I guess I missed the whole point because obviously there is something I am unaware of concerning Mormons and Natives.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2009, 01:00:07 AM »
No, the pandemics happened long before the reservations did. There's a lot of debate on the numbers but here's a link. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Population_history_of_American_indigenous_peoples#Population_overview

Some scholars estimate the Native American population in 1650 of 8 million was only 5% the number that existed in 1492, and that the vast majority of the decline was due to pandemics.

Renoard

• Level 20
  • spurius non lucrorum
    • View Profile
    • Albion
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2009, 02:50:47 AM »
How much you want to bet there are people trying to teach their kids the WoT old tongue?
You can always get what you want if you never count the cost.