Author Topic: NaNoWriMo?  (Read 33619 times)

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
Re: NaNoWriMo?
« Reply #135 on: November 20, 2009, 12:37:28 PM »
Managed to close my deficit to within 10,000 words today, finally! I'm pretty much psyched. If I get in some good writing over the weekend, I might manage to gain another 3 or 4 thousand on it, too, which would be amazing. 

I'm more behind, so don't feel bad :P I'm right around 14k.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 0
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 22, 2009, 07:23:04 AM »
Well I didn't write much yesterday, so I'm now holding steady at 10k behind. I could probably catch up, except I have relatives coming for Thanksgiving on Tuesday, and I will be killed if I attempt to ignore them and write. So i essentially have to catch up 10k, then write another 10k or so to make up for the writing I'll miss during the week. All of this within the next two days. Sounds fun.

So yeah, My NaNoWriMo prospects are looking a little bleak. Though I do have this entire week off school, so that might help. I'll still be attempting to finish, but since i just hit 25k today, it should be interesting to see if I can pull it off.
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #137 on: November 22, 2009, 07:39:01 AM »
I'm 20,000 behind. Looks bleak, yeah? Not so fast.

I'm staying at MSU for Thanksgiving break, and I'm working the front desk. There's no class on Wednesday, so I'm virtually done at 4pm Tuesday. From that time until Monday at 8am, I work a mind-numbing fifty five hours. Wow. So let's see, with the amount that I have done now, to finish, I must write 600 words an hour. A quick calculation supposedly reveals that's 10 words per minute. Not... impossible.

Writing tomorrow and Monday, if I write 6000 words in that time, then I'll have to write 500 words per hour. Even better.

So I can do it, supposing I sacrifice my Thanksgiving, which I planned on. I can do this.

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 22, 2009, 08:20:35 AM »

I'm way too far behind.  It'll take EVERY EVERY EVERY waking moment to write to get it.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Silk

• Level 31
  • ...no room for someone in second place...
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #139 on: November 22, 2009, 08:41:14 PM »

I'm way too far behind.  It'll take EVERY EVERY EVERY waking moment to write to get it.

What miyabi said. I can still do it, though. Totally.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #140 on: November 23, 2009, 01:23:34 AM »

If you write at 20,000 words a day, you're golden.

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 23, 2009, 02:01:12 AM »
I don't know, even 10,000 is pretty reasonable. You could still finish in 5 days. So that would be about 4 - 5 hours of writing for me (since I'd slow down a ton towards the end). More for some, less for some, but it's doable, assuming you have no life over Thanksgiving.
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #142 on: November 23, 2009, 02:02:41 AM »
I don't know, I think it's physically impossible for me to write 10,000 words a day.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 23, 2009, 05:11:21 AM »

On my last project I went like 5 days in a row writing about 7k a day.  It's not that hard.  It's just like taking a notebook everywhere to write when you have a free minute.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 30, 2009, 07:10:10 AM »
Basically what he said. Though, I wrote 8k today, and it took me 7 hours, so maybe my estimate of 4-5 hours a day is a little optimistic.

Anyway, came back to report that I just won, with a wordcount of 50,127. I can now go back and fix the multitudes of issues that have sprung up within my novel.

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 30, 2009, 08:38:16 AM »

I didn't win. 

Hopefully next year I will start on the 1st and not the 16th ha ha.  But I let myself get distracted too.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #146 on: November 30, 2009, 07:43:11 PM »
Hopefully next year I'll actually be able to do it and not get bogged down with school...Wait. That's my last semester before I graduate. Getting bogged down is pretty much a given (at least when it's 16 credits of 3-400 level classes). Blast....Make that in two years...
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Silk

• Level 31
  • ...no room for someone in second place...
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #147 on: December 01, 2009, 08:59:26 AM »
Not for me this time. Took me too long to get around to it, I guess.

Still, got about 35,500 words, evne though most of it's useless in terms of actual prose (a lot of outline-y stuff, and some stuff that's just plain bad). Not bad considering that I started writing, uhh, Sunday. >>;

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: December 01, 2009, 11:51:40 AM »
I did win, but have been too lazy to post... mostly becauses I decided to tackle a 10k day on saturday.  But, at 50,007 at last count I did win.
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: December 02, 2009, 12:12:45 AM »
Silk, you got in 35,000 words in two days? That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard in my life, even if it isn't particularly great.