Author Topic: NaNoWriMo?  (Read 27035 times)

Jexral

• Level 4
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
    • My Blog!
Re: NaNoWriMo?
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2009, 07:09:33 PM »
I will go for it if I am able to finish the first draft of what I'm working on now, and won't if I don't.  That's what I decided.  I have fewer than 50k words left in this, and if I try writing something else, I don't think I'll be able to finish it.  <shrug>
Truth is treason in the empire of lies.

stridera

• Level 6
  • Fantasy Programmer
    • View Profile
    • Strider's Realm
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2009, 11:01:06 PM »
I have a story, but in spirit of NaNoWriMo I'm going to start a brand new one and see if I can make the deadline.  Lets hope!

Either way, I'm definitely participating.
Now we sit through Shakespeare in order to recognize the quotations.
  - Orson Welles

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2009, 11:12:04 PM »
I'm going to participate. I'll work on my current book and hopefully burn through 50k of it :)
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

sortitus

• Level 15
  • MVP of the WORLD
    • View Profile
    • I'll kick you in the face!
« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2009, 12:38:27 AM »
I have a story, but in spirit of NaNoWriMo I'm going to start a brand new one and see if I can make the deadline.
Uhh, you realize that you're allowed (encouraged) to worldbuild and outline before it starts, right? Or are you just looking for an even bigger challenge?

I did it cold last year and got about 12K done. It was pretty pathetic.
Hero of Ages: Impressive Regality Over Niceness, Y'all
좋아! This time with more ecstatic! 좋네!!! I'll say it again in french! Trois fois voiture!!! Ça va. C'est vrai. C'est bien.
High Knight of the Grand Pie of the Holy Order of Pie, The Left Hand of Pie

stridera

• Level 6
  • Fantasy Programmer
    • View Profile
    • Strider's Realm
« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2009, 12:46:08 AM »
I already have the world and story planned.  I've been planning it for a while... just waiting for next month to start.

I've just heard of people who take half finished stories, and basically enter the contest at 25k or so... which is cheating!
Now we sit through Shakespeare in order to recognize the quotations.
  - Orson Welles

RavenstarRHJF

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2009, 05:16:07 AM »
See now, that's something I won't do.  I got 50K of my NaNoNovel done last year, but it is by no means finished.  Probably has another 50K in there somewhere, and all I'm counting is the new stuff.  To keep myself honest, I'm going to start a new document instead of working from the old one.
A crown does not a King make, nor the lack of one a commoner.

Silk

• Level 31
  • ...no room for someone in second place...
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2009, 09:04:01 AM »
Yeah. I worked from a "nano" document last year, made the November word count much easier to keep track of.

Gollumite

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2009, 12:53:40 PM »
I'm considering doing NaNo this year too, but I'm feeling a little apprehensive about setting aside my current WIP (which is proceeding at a snail's pace--first attempt ever atwriting anything) to do something that will basically amount to a waste of time.

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • Fell Points: 1
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2009, 08:14:10 PM »
It may seem like a waste, but it does help.  I had a book that I had very little in last year, so I put all of my writing into a "nano qualifying text" document (anything I wrote in november on it) as a way to get further into the novel.  By the end I really could appricate writing 2k a day.

Now (and I really do think it's because of nano) I can start a short or something at work and have nearly 2k writing by the time I go home (six hours worth of work, typing in between calls.  They don't allow internet, which really helps.)  So even if the writing sucks, it will help you get into the habit of writing.
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2009, 12:24:01 AM »
I'm doing NaNo again this year. If all goes well, I should even be able to finish. Unlike the pathetic attempt of last year. Argh.
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Silk

• Level 31
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2009, 12:49:09 AM »
Finish your book or finish NaNo? Or both?

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #41 on: October 17, 2009, 01:11:39 AM »
Finish NaNo....possibly my book. I think it has a little more than 50k words left to write, but maybe not. Depends on how the writing for NaNo goes and what-not.

Also, I still have yet to pull anything close to what you did last year. I still want to. Kind of.
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Silk

• Level 31
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #42 on: October 17, 2009, 03:14:28 AM »
Haha. I have yet to pull off anything close to what I did last year. The closest I've come since is about 11k in a day. ::)

As for wanting to... yeah! You should totally try it!

Once.

I mean, I had an absolute blast. But I'm pretty sure it wouldn't be healthy to do it often. ::)

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • Fell Points: 1
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 17, 2009, 05:04:48 AM »
Silk, that was just plain epic.  I doubt that very few people can say they've done that.
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

Silk

• Level 31
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #44 on: October 17, 2009, 06:00:04 AM »
*wry grin* Epic's probably a pretty good word for it, yes. Especially since I'm a horridly slow writer at the best of times. (No, really!)

I could go all melodramatic and wring my hands and moan about how I hardly wrote anything in December (I think I wrote one scene, and it was a rewrite) but I think that had a lot more to do with end-of-semester burnout than anything.