Author Topic: Someone has a virus  (Read 2015 times)

fuzzyoctopus

• Level 57
  • Fell Points: 0
  • fearsome and furry
    • View Profile
Someone has a virus
« on: November 16, 2004, 02:11:25 PM »
Can anyone tell me why I'm getting spammed with viruses from pardol at saintehlers.com?

« Last Edit: November 16, 2004, 02:11:56 PM by fuzzyoctopus »
"Hr hr! dwn wth vwls!" - Spriggan

I reject your reality, and substitute my own. - Adam Savage, Mythbusters

French is a language meant to be butchered, especially by drunk Scotts. - Spriggan

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
Re: Someone has a virus
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2004, 02:17:51 PM »
****!!!!
I was going to type something more graphic.
I'll have my computer shut down immediately. That's messed up.

I suspect that it's someone spoofing my address -- it's the one I used to use online, and I think it's still the current one on the forums at SE.com. I keep my AV very up to date and don't open any spam at all, but better safe than sorry.

so, I don't believe it's REALLY coming from me. I get those at work, and they're not really from the address they say,  but I'm taking precautions just in case.

The Holy Saint, Grand High Poobah, Master of Monkeys, Ehlers

• Administrator
  • Level 96
  • Fell Points: 17
  • monkeys? yes.
    • View Profile
    • herb's world
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2004, 02:44:41 PM »
k, been thinking on it. This is definitely NOT from my computer.

1) "pardol" is not an actual user name. So if it's mailing itself, and it's using the account, it would not appear to be from "pardol"

2) "pardol" is an alias, but it's not a specific alias. You can mail something to [email protected], where XXXX represents any number and combination of valid username characters, and it will come to me, so I often use context relevant aliases when giving out my email address. Like D&D games where participants were in EUOL's famous first D&D 3.0 game.  None of my account settings in outlook list "pardol" as an account name or a reply to address currently, ergo, it has no where to pull that info from in my address book or in my email client settings. There has been a complete format since I last listed "pardol" as a reply to address in my computer.

So it's not coming from me.

My theory? some spider got both fuzzy's and my address off the old AORP board and it sending her mail claiming it was from one of the other addresses it found.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2004, 05:09:57 PM »
no, but fuzzy, can you check your private messages? >_>;;
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!