Author Topic: Progress and Submission Reports  (Read 59069 times)

LongTimeUnderdog

• Level 9
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Progress and Submission Reports
« Reply #300 on: July 22, 2010, 02:20:12 AM »
2nd draft of "The Name of God," renamed "The Canticle and the Forge."  1/8th done.

Comatose

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 1
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: July 23, 2010, 02:45:12 AM »
Silk, I'm still trying to get around to reading "Fall Stars Fall."  I've just been procrastinating.  I haven't forgotten about it though!
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

Shivertongue

• Level 9
  • Enjoy your right to be intentionally ridiculous!
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: July 23, 2010, 04:30:02 AM »
The good news: I've been getting a lot more hours at work, which means I should be able to get a new computer in about a month.

The bad news: I've barely written a word of Wavepainter in the last few weeks. Chapter two is currently paused at 522 words, and has been there for about two weeks now. The ideas are flowing fine, I'm just two exhausted to think them through when I sit down to write. Also, webcomics are a distraction..
This propaganda has been brought to you by High Priest and Occasional Pope Archbishop Shivertongue Von Slamdance VI, of the Vibrating Purple cabal of POEE (Paratheoanametamystikhood Of Eris Esoteric). All rights ignored. Salvation not available in Idaho. Hail Eris. All Hail Discordia. Fnord?

Silk

• Staff
  • Level 31
  • ...no room for someone in second place...
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #303 on: July 23, 2010, 04:48:50 AM »
Comatose: Thanks--there's no hurry. Whenever you can get around to it is good. :)

Did some more revisions on the Cobwebs and Silhouettes story and got most of what I wanted to done. That said, I suspect it isn't quite done yet.  (I sent a copy out to a writer friend of mine; guess I'll see what he has to say about it.) Also been working on some world/plot/character building for a novel in the same setting, which is a slow and painful part of the process for me. And I haven't gotten anything at all done in the last few days. -.- I blame my immune system for that one.

lethalfalcon

• Level 5
  • Why won't insomnia leave me alone?
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: July 23, 2010, 06:59:46 AM »
Well, I got chapter 2 of Heartglass done and posted, but I'm going to shelve that one until I get more critiques on it. I'm not quite sure how the tone is going.

Mortal Divinity is making very slow progress; I have a lot more I could write, but I want to make sure the person I'm co-authoring with is on the same page. He's a bit slower than even me.

So I wrote about half of the first chapter of Gods' Deceit. The one that has dragons. I figured out a lot more about how the plot arc is going to pan out, as well as the reason for The Way Things Are (tm). So I can actually write it now. I think I'll enjoy it the most.

But of course I waste my time modeling T'Garin, instead. See?

I don't have good days. I have great days, where I'm a magician ridding the world of all evil, or at least everything I don't like. And then I wake up, and it's back to work for me.

ryos

• Level 17
  • The Decemberween Thnikkaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: August 03, 2010, 07:45:14 PM »
I'm currently annoyed at Inception. See, I wrote (poorly) a short story based on similar concepts (creating through shared dreaming) some 10-odd years ago. I was planning on reworking it at some point. Now I'm not sure I will, because Inception was so incredibly awesome and deep and complex that I just don't know if I can do the idea justice after that without looking like a cheap hack.

Oh well. Some day I'll get around to critting all you guys. Sorry to fall so far behind!
Eerongal made off with my Fluffy Puff confections.

Recovering_Cynic

• Level 13
  • Except vampires. Vampires suck.
    • View Profile
    • my livejournal
« Reply #306 on: August 09, 2010, 03:25:11 PM »
So a few weeks ago I started perusing Native American mythology, and it stirred some ideas in my head.  They stuck, and over the past few weeks I have started outlining the first book in what I hope will be a trilogy.  I finished a rough sketch of the first book's outline last night.  I still have some worldbuilding to do before I can fully complete the outline, but I hope to start on the first few chapters  by the end of the week.

The highlights:
Urban Fantasy
Steampunkishness (only with modern technology)
The undermining of nearly everything in our current reality
 :)
this is the way the world ends,
not with a bang, but a whimper
~T.S. Eliot

Silk

• Staff
  • Level 31
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #307 on: August 09, 2010, 11:11:44 PM »
Whee! Good luck with it.

I've been working on worldbuilding/outlining for a new project too. Maybe I should set the same goal as you have, and try to start actually writing by the end of the week. =)

Valkynphyre

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: August 10, 2010, 02:40:54 AM »
I've been doing a bit of writing, but not on my story. It's for the mistborn forum rpg. I figure it all counts toward the million or so practice words I need, no?
Bow before The Worldbringer, Squirrel King![/color]

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #309 on: August 10, 2010, 09:44:17 AM »
I've been doing a bit of writing, but not on my story. It's for the mistborn forum rpg. I figure it all counts toward the million or so practice words I need, no?

That's kind of what I'm banking on.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Silk

• Staff
  • Level 31
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #310 on: August 10, 2010, 10:57:52 PM »
Heh. I did forum RP for years. In my experience... yes and no. :P

Flo_the_G

• Level 6
  • Wait, what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: August 12, 2010, 12:24:46 AM »
It lives! That is to say, I live!

[snip]

I may also actually read one of the many submissions in my inbox in the near future.  ;)

This. Only for real, this time. Did I say my first draft would be finished in April? I misspoke. I meant August. I mean October. Later this year, at any rate. I hope.

I'm definitely counting forum RP, by the way. Heck, I'll even count regular RP. Maybe not videogames, though.

RavenstarRHJF

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: August 12, 2010, 03:31:54 AM »
Hello from the depths of your memory!  Yes, I'm still around, no, I haven't been reading anyone's submissions, and yes, I will eventually get around to critiquing all of them.  They are still in my in-box (I sometimes go through, download them all and shunt them to their own separate folder).

Anyway, the past... however long it's been, I've been reworking my first nano novel.  Got that straightened out, so hopefully I will begin submitting chapters of it sometime in September. 

If you'll still have me, that is.  *makes bambi eyes*
A crown does not a King make, nor the lack of one a commoner.

Comatose

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 1
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: August 12, 2010, 06:17:56 AM »
You know you've been reading too much WOT when:

All your female characters suddenly start smoothing their dresses and arching their eyebrows before doing anything.  I saw the joke in Brandon's forum, but I still keep catching myself.  At least NO ONE is tugging their braid...
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

lethalfalcon

• Level 5
  • Why won't insomnia leave me alone?
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: August 12, 2010, 06:29:06 AM »
I don't think telling the game your character's name is going to add much word count to your repertoire. :)

And get out of the depths of my memories, Ravenstar. It's dangerous down there!

I'm writing, too. GMing  a campaign. That definitely counts. :D And I get instant critiques in the form of "Oh man!" and "You suck!" when I slaughter characters who didn't move fast enough. Ah, the joys.
I don't have good days. I have great days, where I'm a magician ridding the world of all evil, or at least everything I don't like. And then I wake up, and it's back to work for me.