Author Topic: Progress and Submission Reports  (Read 59085 times)

LongTimeUnderdog

• Level 9
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Progress and Submission Reports
« Reply #255 on: March 05, 2010, 11:51:37 PM »
Waking up at 5 am and writing, playing with my daughter/going to work, then coming home at night to put her to bed, and writing from 8 until midnight.  Every day.

Shivertongue

• Level 9
  • Enjoy your right to be intentionally ridiculous!
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: March 05, 2010, 11:54:34 PM »
Yeah, that looks like it would do it. Would also help me if I closed the internet for a while... but, without fail, the moment I do, I'll come across something I need to research...
This propaganda has been brought to you by High Priest and Occasional Pope Archbishop Shivertongue Von Slamdance VI, of the Vibrating Purple cabal of POEE (Paratheoanametamystikhood Of Eris Esoteric). All rights ignored. Salvation not available in Idaho. Hail Eris. All Hail Discordia. Fnord?

LongTimeUnderdog

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: March 05, 2010, 11:57:42 PM »
Research is important too.  Just because you're not making word to page progress doesn't mean you're not advancing your work.  I've been lucky to know most of what I needed already or have already finished the research I needed.

Shivertongue

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: March 06, 2010, 12:09:08 AM »
I thought I had to, but I'm slowly making the realization that I'm more of a discovery than I initially thought I was. This is leading to ideas that I find better than those in my outlines, but involving stuff I hadn't yet researched.

Plus I think my brain is still convinced I'm an outline writer...
This propaganda has been brought to you by High Priest and Occasional Pope Archbishop Shivertongue Von Slamdance VI, of the Vibrating Purple cabal of POEE (Paratheoanametamystikhood Of Eris Esoteric). All rights ignored. Salvation not available in Idaho. Hail Eris. All Hail Discordia. Fnord?

LongTimeUnderdog

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: March 06, 2010, 12:11:21 AM »
Hahahahahaha.

Shivertongue

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: March 17, 2010, 07:18:13 AM »
Okay, I need some help. I'm stuck on an aspect of the story, which admittedly doesn't happen for a chapter or two but is bogging me down now. Anyone willing to be a sounding board for me?

LongTimeUnderdog

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: March 17, 2010, 11:44:59 AM »
Sure.

Recovering_Cynic

• Level 13
  • Except vampires. Vampires suck.
    • View Profile
    • my livejournal
« Reply #262 on: March 22, 2010, 03:43:45 PM »
FYI: First Round of Writer's of the Future First Quarter Honorable Mentions are up for anyone who submitted.  Here's the link: http://wotfblog.blogspot.com/
this is the way the world ends,
not with a bang, but a whimper
~T.S. Eliot

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #263 on: March 22, 2010, 10:05:01 PM »
Sorry I've been blatantly inactive around here. There's a crapload of submissions of stuff that I regularly read, and a true to goodness metric crapload of the other stuff. Like LTU. I may just have to be like Silk and push through and critique a huge chunk all at one time.

But as for progress, Rebirth is slowing to a crawl, so I think that means I better just randomly switch into writing Act 3 to build up some momentum. This however means that none of you get to see it ;)

Perhaps more pertinent to actual submissions from me, I have an idea for a short story. They appear to be jelling together in a very weird, but interesting way. I should probably do some research on Islam, as well as Europa for this. It's going to be science fiction, and will most assuredly be one of the strangest things I've written.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Shivertongue

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: March 24, 2010, 06:11:55 PM »
Looks like I'm going to have some bulk reading and responding to do as well. This project for Concept Development has been taking every moment of time I've had for the last two weeks. It's finally done, though, and I have Spring Break next week (actually starting today) in which I can write and respond to submissions.

...unfortunately, I can't remember all of them.

Flo_the_G

• Level 6
  • Wait, what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: March 25, 2010, 11:21:50 AM »
It lives! That is to say, I live!

I had an epiphany of sorts (multiple ones, actually): I realised that the first draft of Concord was rubbish, would always be rubbish, and that any attempt at de-rubbish-ifying parts of it (say, in order to submit them to an entirely hypothetical writing group on the intertubes) would only cost time. Time I could also employ to make wild changes from scene to scene (or within paragraphs, even), without having to go back and edit stuff for you guys.

This, it would appear, is what first drafts are for. Seeing as my first draft is nearing completion now (~97k words, I guesstimate that I should be done before the end of April) and I intend to start submitting again once I've started the second one, I thought I'd let you know that I haven't dropped off the face of the earth entirely. Yet.

Don't get your hopes up, though, I'll have a ton of research and revising and whatnot to do before I can start writing draft numero dos. On the upside, I now know not only how to salvage my horrible prologue (which hopefully nobody here remembers), but also how to fix the middle, the beginning, and the ending of the story. Well, maybe not the ending, but I haven't written that yet anyhow.

Also, Chekov's gun will actually be fired in the second draft, instead of merely hanging decoratively on the wall.

I may also actually read one of the many submissions in my inbox in the near future.  ;)

lethalfalcon

• Level 5
  • Why won't insomnia leave me alone?
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: March 25, 2010, 07:20:28 PM »
Progress on Mortal Divinity has pretty much stopped, not for a lack of content (I have about 10 chapters ready to write), but for lack of my co-author's time to contribute the other half of the story (he has the other viewpoints).

So I started on another of my dream ideas, Heartglass, which I pushed out the prologue for the group to be too busy to read already. :)

And then I stopped. Apparently, I now need to build three races' civilizations (at least one for chapter 1) because I got stuck on a word. Yes, a word. The name of the building that the main character is looking at. It's a government building, but without knowing the government, it's kinda hard to name the building. So... I get to stew for awhile. Yes, I could skip it and just insert a random building name to get chapter 1 done, but that'll just come back to bite me later when I need to know even more about the government.

And then there's my mouth, which looks like a train wreck after they pulled my abscessing tooth in preparation for an implant. Doesn't hurt, thankfully, but it's swollen like crazy, and I can't eat much because it's my front tooth they pulled. I eat donuts with a knife and fork. :(

And work just won't leave me alone. Rather, the bills won't leave me alone, and my money tree is apparently not getting enough nutrients to flourish.

So, you might get chapter 1 of Heartglass in a month. Hopefully I have more reviews of the prologue by then to help shape it. *nudge nudge*
I don't have good days. I have great days, where I'm a magician ridding the world of all evil, or at least everything I don't like. And then I wake up, and it's back to work for me.

Recovering_Cynic

• Level 13
  • Except vampires. Vampires suck.
    • View Profile
    • my livejournal
« Reply #267 on: March 26, 2010, 09:30:07 PM »
I sent off Discharge to Writers of the Future yesterday.  *crosses fingers*
this is the way the world ends,
not with a bang, but a whimper
~T.S. Eliot

Shivertongue

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: March 27, 2010, 03:46:43 AM »
I sent off Discharge to Writers of the Future yesterday.  *crosses fingers*

Best of luck, Cynic! ^_^

Argas

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: March 30, 2010, 01:17:41 AM »
Been busy the last few weeks between school work and life. Once April is done with, I'll probably get a good chance to go through the submissions.