Author Topic: Progress and Submission Reports  (Read 59056 times)

Miang

• Level 2
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Progress and Submission Reports
« Reply #105 on: August 13, 2009, 08:18:10 AM »
Well....I had an unbelievable technical problem tonight. I  finished my plot summary for Thread of Oblivion and saved it to my jump drive. Something came up where I needed some files off of the jump drive moved onto my laptop. I saved my file and took the drive out. I went to put it into the other machine and the back end came off of it. The chipset slipped out. When I got it back together I stuck it in my laptop the only file that was damaged was my pre-writing file. The whole document was erased. So, basically unless my friend can pull of a miracle and recover the document I will be getting up tomorrow morning and starting all over again. :(  I had a lot of material written too -- over 17000 words. Now I have the bare threads of a six chapter outline left. *sigh* Sorry for the complaints -- I'm just a bit down about it.

Flo_the_G

• Level 6
  • Wait, what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 13, 2009, 09:09:05 AM »
Whatever you do, don't read anything by this "Eric Lake" guy. He's a hack.
So I've heard... his blog would have fooled me, though, that looks professional enough.

Well....I had an unbelievable technical problem tonight.
That sucks... makes me want to save my stuff to a fourth drive, to be honest.

But if you had the file on your computer at any point, maybe you can restore it from there. There's software that can do that, maybe even for free.

Miang

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 13, 2009, 09:50:40 AM »
I have a friend who works in that industry who spent some time on it tonight and he couldn't do it with private software. I'd have to find a place and pay. No; I'm afraid not. I'm going to skip some 'fun' plans I had for tomorrow, put off a couple of errands and buckle down to work on it again.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #108 on: August 13, 2009, 05:23:36 PM »
Well....I had an unbelievable technical problem tonight. I  finished my plot summary for Thread of Oblivion and saved it to my jump drive. Something came up where I needed some files off of the jump drive moved onto my laptop. I saved my file and took the drive out. I went to put it into the other machine and the back end came off of it. The chipset slipped out. When I got it back together I stuck it in my laptop the only file that was damaged was my pre-writing file. The whole document was erased. So, basically unless my friend can pull of a miracle and recover the document I will be getting up tomorrow morning and starting all over again. :(  I had a lot of material written too -- over 17000 words. Now I have the bare threads of a six chapter outline left. *sigh* Sorry for the complaints -- I'm just a bit down about it.

That is terrible, terrible news! I'm so sorry!
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Silk

• Staff
  • Level 31
  • ...no room for someone in second place...
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #109 on: August 13, 2009, 06:52:44 PM »
Ugh. That's awful. Good luck getting all your material rewritten.

sortitus

• Level 15
  • MVP of the WORLD
    • View Profile
    • I'll kick you in the face!
« Reply #110 on: August 15, 2009, 04:35:38 AM »
My friend who moved away told me that if I'm not published when he sees me next (probably January of '11), he will never talk to me again. As such, I have decided to dedicate the hours of 0:00 to 2:00 to novel work, rain or shine. Shine being the less likely of the two, seeing as how that is the middle of the night.
Hero of Ages: Impressive Regality Over Niceness, Y'all
좋아! This time with more ecstatic! 좋네!!! I'll say it again in french! Trois fois voiture!!! Ça va. C'est vrai. C'est bien.
High Knight of the Grand Pie of the Holy Order of Pie, The Left Hand of Pie

Silk

• Staff
  • Level 31
  • ...no room for someone in second place...
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #111 on: August 15, 2009, 04:39:06 AM »
You've told him that the "being published" thing is not really something you can control, right? :P

sortitus

• Level 15
  • MVP of the WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 15, 2009, 04:46:39 AM »
Well, I can always avoid him while submitting to a self-publisher, but that smells of cheating. He was my brainstorm buddy, so it's sad to lose him, but I guess now I have a goal to work toward, even if it was (I hope) made in jest.

Speaking of publishing, I haven't even submitted once on here. Expect some of that soon. I'm getting close to actual writing on my current project which is kinda my old project revamped to unrecognizability. I finally dumped my old magic system last week, which I think was holding me back. I like it (the old one), but it's a bit conventional in some parts, and it doesn't work well with the tone of the story  want to tell. The new one is fresh and new to me, and I hope it hasn't been done too much already by other authors.
좋아! This time with more ecstatic! 좋네!!! I'll say it again in french! Trois fois voiture!!! Ça va. C'est vrai. C'est bien.

Karl

• Level 5
  • Rolling. Speed. Scene one, take one. ACTION!
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 19, 2009, 05:26:22 PM »
Don't know if this qualifies as 'progress' or not. Doesn't involve any writing whatsoever.

I made it to GenCon and got to meet Howard. Bought my XDM book that is Thrice Signed and includes a custom illustration of a perplexed dwarf.

Oh, and anybody on Facebook should note that Howard's current profile photo was cropped from the photo of him and me. You can follow his tagged photos and find the uncropped one of Howard and some half-asleep duffus in a Blue Sun T-shirt.

So no writing per se, but some fanboy action.
"When I came to this town five years ago I didn't have a nickle in my pocket. Now I have a nickle in my pocket."

RavenstarRHJF

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 19, 2009, 10:47:36 PM »
Cool!  Keep it for posterity. ;D
A crown does not a King make, nor the lack of one a commoner.

Karl

• Level 5
  • Rolling. Speed. Scene one, take one. ACTION!
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 20, 2009, 04:47:06 AM »
Cool!  Keep it for posterity. ;D

Oddly enough it is a really good read. And the game design theories that the Hickmans espouse actually would work well for designing a good action-pacted novel. I'm not saying every writer needs to run out and buy it (though I'm sure the Tayler Corp wouldn't mind). But it does give a good breakdown of common player motivations which the game master would want to appeal to -- this can also be seen as reader motivations that a writer would want to appeal to.

I'm just sayin'...
"When I came to this town five years ago I didn't have a nickle in my pocket. Now I have a nickle in my pocket."

RavenstarRHJF

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 20, 2009, 09:21:08 PM »
Heh.  I was actually talking about the picture (and the autograph)... but sure!  Mine the book for ideas- that's what it's there for, right? 8) ;)  One of these days I will again have money to spend on things not pertaining to food, shelter, and transportation.
A crown does not a King make, nor the lack of one a commoner.

sortitus

• Level 15
  • MVP of the WORLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 20, 2009, 10:05:29 PM »
One of these days I will again have money to spend on things not pertaining to food, shelter, and transportation.
Ditto, but add education to my list.  >:(

Recovering_Cynic

• Level 13
  • Except vampires. Vampires suck.
    • View Profile
    • my livejournal
« Reply #118 on: August 24, 2009, 08:06:08 PM »
So I just put a polished copy of Survivor in the mail today.  It is now well on its way to the Writers of the Future contest.  Anyone have any idea how many authors submit to that?  Just kinda wondering what my odds are.  'Course I know some of you all have entered as well, so it won't be easy.  Best of luck to all who entered!
this is the way the world ends,
not with a bang, but a whimper
~T.S. Eliot

Frog

• Level 13
  • "Have a popover, Froggie!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 24, 2009, 08:43:39 PM »
I don't believe in writing short stories, so I can't be much help, but I'm glad you were able to turn your story in. Good luck, let us know how it goes. :D
I've already conquered the world. This is exactly the way I want it.