Author Topic: Progress and Submission Reports  (Read 59060 times)

Frog

• Level 13
  • Fell Points: 0
  • "Have a popover, Froggie!"
    • View Profile
Re: Progress and Submission Reports
« Reply #90 on: August 10, 2009, 04:22:30 AM »
Oh, well let me know if you need another reader. I like reading full stories and would like to try and pay you back since you've critiqued for me a few times. :)

Wilson and I just figured out that we had books at similar stages of completion (she was at 21k last I heard, though that was a week ago and I'm not sure if she knows how long she wants it to be yet). So we decided we'd race/smack talk a bit and see who finished first. We've been doing progress reports through email to tell each other where we're at (similar to this thread, but a bit more often than we thought all of you would be interested) but could just as easily do it with PM or w/e if you have a story.
I've already conquered the world. This is exactly the way I want it.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #91 on: August 10, 2009, 06:32:55 AM »
I keep telling Silk I want to be a beta reader. She doesn't budge :P

I don't know if I can join in a competition. It sure as heck won't be done by Christmas, even if I get two chapters done a week (my goal). From the way my outline is looking, it feels it could be like 200k. So it's not exactly a fair comparison, really.

My outline isn't even finished yet, haha.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Silk

• Staff
  • Level 31
  • ...no room for someone in second place...
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #92 on: August 10, 2009, 07:41:04 AM »
Thanks, guys. I've got someone reading it already, but I will probably be looking for others once I'm done a round of revisions. Though Frog, I think there'd be a little more work involved than what I've done for you so far. :P

I might join you guys once I've decided which novel-length project to pick up next. I've got one that's a little shy of the 18k mark right now, but I'm seriously debating putting it aside for a while and working on something else.

All that after I've got a few non-novel projects wrapped up, of course... but I may end up joining you, because I really need to be working on another one...

Frog

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 10, 2009, 03:27:44 PM »
Chaos: So basically, you're just afraid because I'd win. :P
No, that does sound a bit daunting. Good luck!

Silk: Well it's never going to be exactly even trade, but at the end of the day, I just like reading stories.... And then ripping them apart. Don't deny me that simple pleasure. :P

Just let us know if you find one! :)

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #94 on: August 10, 2009, 04:49:43 PM »
Chaos: So basically, you're just afraid because I'd win. :P
No, that does sound a bit daunting. Good luck!

Really? I'm not daunted at all, I'm excited! :) Hehehe...

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #95 on: August 10, 2009, 05:32:22 PM »
All right...Progress. Crashers is officially put on hold. It's a brilliant idea, and I love it so much, but...it's a brilliant idea. And I haven't yet finished a writing a book, and I really want Crashers to be as good in the written stage as it is in my head. I'm going to give myself time to get better at this whole writing thing before I tackle it. But it WILL be tackled. As soon as I'm able to manage it.

So now. I have picked up a different project--the one I was working on before Crashers came along. It has a full outline with about 23k words written already. It's kind of science-fiction/fantasy (I'm not sure which one. Before it was science fiction, although now I'm getting some ideas that put it more in the fantasy realm than it was, but it still has a fairly science fiction vibe...). Anyway. It's about 1/4 the way complete, if my outline is accurate (which it is). So it should be somewhere between 80k and 90k words when I finish it. Before Christmas.

Yes, Frog. That's what I said. Before Christmas. I may be in Arizona right now, not getting any writing done since I'm on vacation, but oh. When I get back....You're going DOWN. :P
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Silk

• Staff
  • Level 31
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #96 on: August 11, 2009, 02:50:54 AM »
Frog: Well no, but that's rather far from an even trade. :P

Anyway, I'll let you guys know once I've picked up another novel project. Competition is always fun.

Progress... Rewrote the end of a flash fiction story and (hopefully) eliminated the bad writing in it. Whee.

Frog

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 11, 2009, 06:39:44 AM »
Sure, you're on 'vacation.' It's too bad excuses don't write novels or Wilson would beat me every time. :P

Silk

• Staff
  • Level 31
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #98 on: August 11, 2009, 06:59:50 AM »
Oooh. Ouch!

Looks like the gloves are off, folks!

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #99 on: August 12, 2009, 06:43:44 PM »
Hey, don't bash my vacationing. I'm in your hometown, hoss. And can you really blame me for not writing this week? I mean, it's not like I really have a whole lot of downtime to write. I've been hiking and looking at ruins and seeing the Grand Canyon (and hiking down into it) the last three days (And I'll be in Flagstaff all day today, without my laptop). If it makes it any better, I HAVE been thinking about my book, even if I haven't been writing it....

Regardless, I've got a 13-hour drive coming at the end of this week, and I don't intend on spending much of that time reading. My dad brought an inverter with us and it will keep my laptop charged the whole way. Super-duper.

And I guess I have a new name to add to my list. Queen of Excuses...All righty. I can deal.
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #100 on: August 12, 2009, 07:41:33 PM »
And I guess I have a new name to add to my list. Queen of Excuses...All righty. I can deal.

And your title is Good Politician, hmmm ;)

Frog

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 12, 2009, 08:19:12 PM »
On second thought, I don't think I want Wilson as the 'Queen of Excuses' when I am currently in a group called 'Reading Excuses.' Is this an elected position or do we have to revolt?  ???

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #102 on: August 12, 2009, 08:30:58 PM »
No, Silk and I rule with iron fists. We are your true overlords, not this Wilson pretender ;)

Flo_the_G

• Level 6
  • Wait, what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 12, 2009, 09:47:43 PM »
Is this an elected position or do we have to revolt?  ???
I have some, lets call them 'connections', to the middle east, I'm sure I could get a hold of a bunch of AKs, maybe even a mercenary or two...

In other news, I've nearly got this here term paper off my plate, and I'll be dedicating this weekend to catching up on the submissions of these last few weeks. Be afraid, be very afraid.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #104 on: August 12, 2009, 10:42:36 PM »
Whatever you do, don't read anything by this "Eric Lake" guy. He's a hack.