Author Topic: Progress and Submission Reports  (Read 71776 times)

RavenstarRHJF

• Level 9
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Progress and Submission Reports
« Reply #75 on: July 22, 2009, 04:13:56 AM »
Ditto!

Also, had an unexpected resurgence of interest in last years NaNo novel (my own- as in, willingness to actually work on it), so I'm taking advantage of that while it lasts, which means any progress on the Junction will have to wait.  I find it difficult to work on more than one story at a time.  Still...
A crown does not a King make, nor the lack of one a commoner.

Miang

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 05, 2009, 05:14:29 AM »
I'm working on a lot of projects, several of them collaborations but I have been wanting to submit something since I joined. I have an old short I wrote about two years ago that I'd like some feedback on. It's kind of modern fantasy. It's a little over 1600 words. I called it the Golem in the Town of Glass  but I may change it...I'm not sure yet. Particularity I'm concerned with PoV issues and tense issues on this piece but any advice would be welcomed. I'd like to send it around Monday.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 05:17:33 AM by Miang »

Silk

• Staff
  • Level 31
  • ...no room for someone in second place...
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #77 on: August 05, 2009, 09:34:49 PM »
I'll add you to the list for Monday, Miang. In the future, post on the "Email List/Submissions" thread to make sure we won't miss you. :)

Congrats on finishing, Renoard, and everyone else who has actually been getting things done. =D Scrupulously avoiding talking about what I've accomplished in the last - too long ...

sortitus

• Level 15
  • MVP of the WORLD
    • View Profile
    • I'll kick you in the face!
« Reply #78 on: August 05, 2009, 10:53:04 PM »
Congrats on finishing, Renoard, and everyone else who has actually been getting things done. =D Scrupulously avoiding talking about what I've accomplished in the last - too long ...
Took the words right out of my mouth, sister.
Hero of Ages: Impressive Regality Over Niceness, Y'all
좋아! This time with more ecstatic! 좋네!!! I'll say it again in french! Trois fois voiture!!! Ça va. C'est vrai. C'est bien.
High Knight of the Grand Pie of the Holy Order of Pie, The Left Hand of Pie

Miang

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 05, 2009, 11:37:31 PM »
Ack!!! Sorry about that.  :o That's what I get for replying to topics when I'm zoned out and exhausted. Thanks, Silk.

Miang

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 08, 2009, 06:08:33 AM »
Yesterday I started work on a new project I am really loving working on. I'm calling it Thread of Oblivion, although that's a working title and like everything I do it will probably change a zillion times before I'm satisfied its decent. I'm in the earliest pre-writing stages but a lot of the ideas are coming together smoothly in my mind and I'm hoping to be able to start outlining next week. :) It's definitely a project I'm going to work towards submitting. It's a kind of modern epic fantasy hybrid and should be really fun.

Frog

• Level 13
  • "Have a popover, Froggie!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 09, 2009, 05:57:25 AM »
I have DR fully outlined now and got to the 20,000 word mark and it still doesn't have a name I like. But I suppose if it were published that would be the first thing the evil editors would change, right? And I am pretty happy with how it is coming (which is why I send it to you, must stop all happiness in it's tracks). So much to write more to write though.  :o
I've already conquered the world. This is exactly the way I want it.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #82 on: August 09, 2009, 06:59:11 AM »
I have DR fully outlined now and got to the 20,000 word mark and it still doesn't have a name I like. But I suppose if it were published that would be the first thing the evil editors would change, right? And I am pretty happy with how it is coming (which is why I send it to you, must stop all happiness in it's tracks). So much to write more to write though.  :o

20,000 words, yay! Good job :)

I'm currently outlining my book, Rebirth. The good news: there's plenty of material to work with.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Frog

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 09, 2009, 07:08:00 AM »
Thanks.  ;D

Is Rebirth a completely new project or is it similar to something we've seen before?

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #84 on: August 09, 2009, 08:50:32 AM »
Completely new! Things are going very well with it. I hope to have the outline totally done by next Saturday--the day I go back to MSU--so I will have motivation to actually write during the semester.

Now, you'll be really lucky when you pass that 30k mark. That's the part I could never get past on my first book...

Frog

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 09, 2009, 04:35:33 PM »
Wow, you’re good. I always have such a hard time coming up with more ideas. I’ll be lucky if I write more than 2 or 3 books out of my main series. I’ll look forward to seeing your stuff though.

My problem was never getting past a certain mark. My first ‘real’ book went on forever (some 170,000 words and some 5, 6 years to write it). I didn’t know where I was going but I just kept writing until something interesting finally happened. Lots of unrelated, unresolved tangents ensued. I am determined to someday go back and fix that thing once and for all, if only for my own satisfaction, but for now my goal is to just focus on this one book. I’m trying to keep it around 80,000 words (it’s a YA… maybe), write 1,000 word everyday (even if it’s all junk I delete the next day) and have it done by Christmas, hopefully beating Little Wilson in the process who also has a book in production (You are SO going down :P).

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #86 on: August 10, 2009, 02:48:05 AM »
Wow, you’re good. I always have such a hard time coming up with more ideas. I’ll be lucky if I write more than 2 or 3 books out of my main series. I’ll look forward to seeing your stuff though.

My problem was never getting past a certain mark. My first ‘real’ book went on forever (some 170,000 words and some 5, 6 years to write it). I didn’t know where I was going but I just kept writing until something interesting finally happened. Lots of unrelated, unresolved tangents ensued. I am determined to someday go back and fix that thing once and for all, if only for my own satisfaction, but for now my goal is to just focus on this one book. I’m trying to keep it around 80,000 words (it’s a YA… maybe), write 1,000 word everyday (even if it’s all junk I delete the next day) and have it done by Christmas, hopefully beating Little Wilson in the process who also has a book in production (You are SO going down :P).

This is my first new story idea since I scrapped my first book (well, besides Fateless, I suppose. That's technically newer than Rebirth). I'm very excited. Like you, I'm setting plenty of deadlines so I get stuff done ;)

Silk

• Staff
  • Level 31
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #87 on: August 10, 2009, 03:27:17 AM »
You might be surprised once you start writing those books from your main series; after a while you start finding story ideas everywhere. Me, I suspect I'll end up with more story ideas than I'll ever have time to write.

Frog

• Level 13
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 10, 2009, 03:40:56 AM »
Chaos: Oh, I thought you had a few more stories on here, but I guess it could have just been the ones you scrapped. Poor stories :(. If you or anyone else wants to join Lil Wilson's and my race to the finish, just let us know and the trash talking encouragement will commence. Though we really haven't picked a prize beyond bragging rights....

Silk: You could be right. Ever since I started my whole 1000 words a day thing (rather than just writing when I felt like it) it seems like my ideas come a bit more often. I could still be writing junk, but at least it is getting done and that makes me happy. Either way, I have more than enough to keep me busy for the time being.

Whatever happened to the book you were submitting?

Silk

• Staff
  • Level 31
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #89 on: August 10, 2009, 03:53:42 AM »
I decided that putting it in its 160,000 word entirety through a writing group with a 4000-word-a-week cap wouldn't be particularly expedient. I think I may just use RE for short stories and the like, and rely on a couple of beta readers for novels.

Now. What's this about a race to the finish?

(Though I suppose I have to decide which novel I'm working on, first...)