Author Topic: Progress and Submission Reports  (Read 70192 times)

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
Re: Progress and Submission Reports
« Reply #225 on: February 02, 2010, 02:14:49 AM »
Progress report, hmmm... Well, I finished Mass Effect 2! That doesn't really count, but that does mean I can get back to writing. I've sort of had the "screw everything else, it can wait" plan with this game.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

LongTimeUnderdog

• Level 9
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: February 02, 2010, 03:16:15 AM »
That good huh?

Shivertongue

• Level 9
  • Enjoy your right to be intentionally ridiculous!
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: February 02, 2010, 03:27:32 AM »
Let's see... I wrote out five paragraphs on the backstory of Squirrel-Man, for one of my classes (which arguably turned out better than a vast majority of the backstories in the class). In regards to more personal projects, I've finally finished the prologue to the book I'm working on now (as of now untitled, as I suck at titles. Anyone who might have some ability in this area, I welcome advice!) and may - may have it ready for submission by Monday.

I say 'may' above, because I've been given an assignment for this same class to do a sculpture by Wednesday morning. As my hands will be covered with clay for much of now until then, I'm not sure if I'll find the time to write...  :'(

Update: That took much, much less time than I thought it would. Apparently - and stay with me on this, as it's a little complicated - getting your homework done right away leaves you with time afterwards to do stuff, without worrying about finishing it in time. This is huge... we have to spread the word! XD
« Last Edit: February 02, 2010, 06:48:38 AM by Shivertongue »
This propaganda has been brought to you by High Priest and Occasional Pope Archbishop Shivertongue Von Slamdance VI, of the Vibrating Purple cabal of POEE (Paratheoanametamystikhood Of Eris Esoteric). All rights ignored. Salvation not available in Idaho. Hail Eris. All Hail Discordia. Fnord?

Silk

• Staff
  • Level 31
  • ...no room for someone in second place...
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #228 on: February 02, 2010, 07:48:53 AM »
Holy crap. That discovery could make you rich! You'd better patent it right away.

Wait, no, don't do that. I need to try it and I couldn't afford the liscence fees otherwise.

Progress: I did two graduate applications and one performer's application. This involved writing stuff. Heck, it was even fiction! (These things require one to go on about how awesome one is. See? Fiction.)

Also, I did limited line edits for a novella that I did not end up submitting as a portfolio! And totally missed the Malahat Review's novella contest deadline! Hooray!

Shivertongue

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: February 04, 2010, 09:28:46 AM »
Prologue's finished, along with being almost entirely rewritten from the halfway point. Chapter one is outlined and actually started, believe it or not. I've been more productive today than I have in months...

May be ready for submission come Monday, if I can just decide on a bloody title...
This propaganda has been brought to you by High Priest and Occasional Pope Archbishop Shivertongue Von Slamdance VI, of the Vibrating Purple cabal of POEE (Paratheoanametamystikhood Of Eris Esoteric). All rights ignored. Salvation not available in Idaho. Hail Eris. All Hail Discordia. Fnord?

Recovering_Cynic

• Level 13
  • Except vampires. Vampires suck.
    • View Profile
    • my livejournal
« Reply #230 on: February 04, 2010, 05:21:35 PM »
I just finished my second draft of Discharge.  I think I did much better on the ending this time.
this is the way the world ends,
not with a bang, but a whimper
~T.S. Eliot

Silk

• Staff
  • Level 31
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #231 on: February 05, 2010, 07:04:41 AM »
Cynic: You gonna submit the second draft to us? You don't have to, I'm just wondering if I should hold off on critting the current draft you have.

Recovering_Cynic

• Level 13
  • Except vampires. Vampires suck.
    • View Profile
    • my livejournal
« Reply #232 on: February 05, 2010, 04:04:12 PM »
Yeah, I will, so hold off on critting the current draft.  I want a fresh set of eyes.  This goes for anyone who hasn't read the old version. 

I may not submit it this Monday though.  I want to let it sit for a bit then revise.
this is the way the world ends,
not with a bang, but a whimper
~T.S. Eliot

Shivertongue

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: February 06, 2010, 09:13:42 PM »
Finished another chapter last night. About 4,700 words. Now I just need to figure out what happens next. This is always the hardest part of the story for me - figuring out how to bridge the beginning with the middle. Middles and ends are easy for me, but this part never has been...

Speaking of, can I submit both the prologue and the chapter i just finished, or am I only allowed to submit one per submission day?

Silk

• Staff
  • Level 31
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #234 on: February 07, 2010, 12:06:11 AM »
As long as it's not too much over 4000 words, go ahead and submit both. In fact, we've never really been crazy about enforcing word limits--we have had people submit really long stuff several times and it hasn't ended in tears yet. Just know that you might not get as many critiques if you submit something really long.

Shivertongue

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: February 07, 2010, 09:09:08 AM »
I was planning on two separate files, actually, and two threads, one for each. If that's too much, or disagreeable, I have no problem just submitting the prologue.

The single chapter itself is over 4,000, though, and the prologue a little over 3,000.

vegetathalas

• Level 4
    • View Profile
    • Jenn's World
« Reply #236 on: February 10, 2010, 06:33:55 PM »
I'm back from winter break. I'm working on a new novel, but I'm not all that crazy about it. I may submit chapters, I may not.

I suspect critiquing everything that's passed while I've been gone would give me an aneurysm, so I'll start fresh with this week's stuff. But if there's a past submission you really want my input on, just let me know and I'll do my best to find time for it.

LongTimeUnderdog

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: February 10, 2010, 07:56:09 PM »
I was wondering where you went.  I missed you.

vegetathalas

• Level 4
    • View Profile
    • Jenn's World
« Reply #238 on: February 10, 2010, 08:18:29 PM »
My brother comes back from law school once a year, so I try to maximize my time with him. Everything else gets set aside when I'm with my family.

LongTimeUnderdog

• Level 9
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: February 10, 2010, 08:25:04 PM »
Ahhh good for you.