Author Topic: Ink needs to do his own research  (Read 18698 times)

SirZelig

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I'm not crazy! It's you who is normal
    • View Profile
Re: Ink needs to do his own research
« Reply #60 on: April 24, 2011, 06:32:19 AM »
I also think of Spock.
"All because of you
I believe in angels.
Not the kind with wings,
no, not the kind with halos;
the kind that bring you home
when home becomes a strange place.
I'll follow your voice;
all you have to do is
shout it out!"
Rise Against- The Good Left Undone

Inkthinker

• Level 11
  • Animation and Illustration
    • View Profile
    • inkthinker.deviantart.com
« Reply #61 on: April 24, 2011, 08:15:27 AM »
Nimoy, sure. I can see that. I think of him a bit more in terms of Sazed though, the long features and the slender hands.

I actually have good ref from Brandon on Sazed, but here's a question... is there any example of him in the text wearing spectacles? I have some idea of him in glasses, but I  think that's might something I've just made up in my head with an impression of him as being scholarly. 

SirZelig

• Level 3
  • I'm not crazy! It's you who is normal
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 24, 2011, 01:52:56 PM »
He does wear glasses when he is storing sight. But I not think he does when he isn't storing it.
"All because of you
I believe in angels.
Not the kind with wings,
no, not the kind with halos;
the kind that bring you home
when home becomes a strange place.
I'll follow your voice;
all you have to do is
shout it out!"
Rise Against- The Good Left Undone

douglas

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 24, 2011, 03:50:37 PM »
I remember Vin specifically noting at one point that Sazed was wearing glasses, and that this was odd because he never had before.  This was right after the time he'd burned through some stored reserves to rescue Vin from Inquisitors at Kredick Shaw, including using improved eyesight to find her, and he was clearly trying to restore the spent resources.  So, Sazed does have spectacles but he only needs them when he's deliberately downgrading and storing his sight with Feruchemy.

CabbyHat

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 25, 2011, 03:32:32 AM »
More than anything I tend to associate being hawk-faced with a really intense stare and lowered eyebrows, which seems to fit Kelsier.
Just an idle comment. My comments are often idle. I can never get them to do any solid work.

Freelancer216

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 09, 2011, 06:54:16 PM »
In the well of ascension. As he starts to fight the colous (sorry about the spelling I have the audio books) sazed is noted to cause a coluous to pause because it wasn't expecting to see something nearly it's own size.

Inkthinker

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 10, 2011, 12:49:59 AM »
"koloss"

Sazed gets koloss-sized when he taps his metalmind, but normally he's at the high end of 6-7 feet. Not freakishly tall, but he stands out in a crowd.

Sorry if I haven't been back to ask for more help guys, but things are proceeding along quite nicely. There's going to be a good bit of Mistborn artwork coming from my corner towards the end of this year.

Shiael

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 10, 2011, 03:21:09 AM »
once again off topic here, but i think you would be good with cover art, ink.

and i too pictured him as tall and black. the earring thing throws me off a bit though.
Nothing is ever easy...

Thor

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 10, 2011, 05:24:17 AM »
I've always thought of Sazed being 6' 7"ish (with Vin being 5' even (easiest, since she tells you it multiple times), Kelsier 6'3-4", Elend 6', etc), with an Asian skin-tone and facial structure (maybe Amazonian tribesmen, that seems to fit; I'm trying to think where I got my idea of him from...), combined with the elongation of limbs due to his castration and his thin build, would make him seem much taller than he really is. This is especially evident when you conisder that the average adult skaa male is probably 5'8" (or shorter), with nobleman maybe hitting 6'. We are thinking of our age, where the average human male is around 6' tall (plus or minus a few inches), when being 6'7" is an impressive height, but not freakishly so. This also puts Kelsier into perspective (if we base his height near my guesses), since he is close to a foot taller than the average skaa, taller even than nobleman, making him seem greater than a normal person. The spread of a few inches also fits Sazed's slight unease at standing near someone almost as tall as he is (can't remember what page it's on, but it is in FE somewhere...)

When he is fighting the koloss in WoA, the koloss is surprised because Sazed is even more muscular than the koloss itself, not because Saze is as tall as it (no Feruchemical metal that has been revealed will let you do that, I believe.) ;)

Also, first post! :o Prepare for much flinging of random/not-so-random ideas; I'm chock full of them!

Inkthinker

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 10, 2011, 12:30:45 PM »
once again off topic here, but i think you would be good with cover art, ink.

and i too pictured him as tall and black. the earring thing throws me off a bit though.

Terrismen do have a darker skin-tone than skaa. But the range of tones across the entire human race is more homogenous than ours thanks to the Lord Ruler's eugenics.

Aside from Isaac Stewart, who's contributing work on the maps and symbols, I'm the only artist on the Mistborn RPG. Cover and interiors, this part of the book is mine to carry. They made a blog post about it some time ago, but I hadn't really said much about it myself because I'm still in the middle of the work.

I really hope that's good news to most of you...  :-\
« Last Edit: May 10, 2011, 12:40:06 PM by Inkthinker »

Argent

• Level 5
  • Lord
    • View Profile
    • Wowhead
« Reply #70 on: May 10, 2011, 07:16:14 PM »
You've been doing good work, Ink. Note nearly as much as if I had you imprisoned in my basement with Brandon to write and give you advice, but good work nonetheless.
Power doesn't always have to corrupt. In many ways, it can change a man for the better.

CabbyHat

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 11, 2011, 04:58:10 AM »
I've always thought of Sazed being 6' 7"ish (with Vin being 5' even (easiest, since she tells you it multiple times), Kelsier 6'3-4", Elend 6', etc), with an Asian skin-tone and facial structure (maybe Amazonian tribesmen, that seems to fit; I'm trying to think where I got my idea of him from...), combined with the elongation of limbs due to his castration and his thin build, would make him seem much taller than he really is. This is especially evident when you conisder that the average adult skaa male is probably 5'8" (or shorter), with nobleman maybe hitting 6'. We are thinking of our age, where the average human male is around 6' tall (plus or minus a few inches), when being 6'7" is an impressive height, but not freakishly so. This also puts Kelsier into perspective (if we base his height near my guesses), since he is close to a foot taller than the average skaa, taller even than nobleman, making him seem greater than a normal person. The spread of a few inches also fits Sazed's slight unease at standing near someone almost as tall as he is (can't remember what page it's on, but it is in FE somewhere...)

When he is fighting the koloss in WoA, the koloss is surprised because Sazed is even more muscular than the koloss itself, not because Saze is as tall as it (no Feruchemical metal that has been revealed will let you do that, I believe.) ;)

Also, first post! :o Prepare for much flinging of random/not-so-random ideas; I'm chock full of them!

Where does it say that Kelsier is a foot taller than the skaa?
Just an idle comment. My comments are often idle. I can never get them to do any solid work.

Inkthinker

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 11, 2011, 09:27:53 AM »
Kelsier is described as "tall", but I don't think it ever says exactly how tall or compares him to anyone in particular.

nutiketaiel

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 03, 2011, 01:23:48 PM »
Not to belabor the point on Sazed's height, but is it not true that when eunuchs are castrated, they become enormous?  I think I remember seeing that in a historical documentary about the Roman Empire once...
-Jim

Squallor

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 04, 2011, 08:43:35 PM »
quick google search didnt provide much info other than historical context, but I seem to remember eunuchs are tall, have long extremities, and sometimes grow sunken chests with pot bellies. However, this is all from memory, so may not be entirely reliable. The physical effects of castration are vastly different depending on when the person was castrated.