Author Topic: Ink needs to do his own research  (Read 20382 times)

Inkthinker

• Level 11
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Animation and Illustration
    • View Profile
    • inkthinker.deviantart.com
Re: Ink needs to do his own research
« Reply #30 on: April 29, 2009, 05:36:55 AM »
Thanks, everyone! This is useful stuff, and much faster than re-reading the books (though I'll still have to do that anyhow).

Thanks especially for catching me on the issue of kandra hair. I'm counting on you guys who remember specific aspects like that. Impressions are helpful, but ultimately the final arbiter (unless an authoritative voice steps in, at least) is the text.

If you think of anything more or have a comment on something in particular, please post it! I'm sure I'll be asking more questions in this thread soon enough.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 08:19:55 AM by Inkthinker »

zas678

• Level 7
  • Job Title: Hoid Desciption: RAFO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2009, 01:16:02 AM »
One thing about kandra..... or I suppose MistWraiths...
Where do the new Mistwraiths come from? I remember Sazed wondering about it, but we never found out.
“It’s a fun tradition.”
“So was witch-burning,” Melody said.  “Unless you were the witch.”

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2009, 02:46:41 AM »
They breed somehow. It could be binary fission—if a mistwraith gets too big it just splits. That's my guess personally.

[Note: This is not inside information. Just my guess.]
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 04:23:50 AM by Ookla The Mok »
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

zas678

• Level 7
  • Job Title: Hoid Desciption: RAFO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2009, 04:08:28 AM »
That makes a lot of sense. Thanks Ookla!
“It’s a fun tradition.”
“So was witch-burning,” Melody said.  “Unless you were the witch.”

Inkthinker

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 10, 2009, 08:34:39 AM »
Kelsier questions now. Anyone know which passages describe his appearance, aside from the arm scars? How do you see his hair, his height, etc, and what's your basis?

ryos

• Level 17
  • The Decemberween Thnikkaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2009, 09:55:16 AM »
He's the Clooney to Dockson's Pitt, right?  8)

Actually, I don't picture him looking much like Clooney. I figure he's about 5'9", with shortcropped brown hair. This mental picture has about as much basis in the books as my idea that Sazed is black.  :-\
Eerongal made off with my Fluffy Puff confections.

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2009, 09:40:32 PM »
The book describes him as having blonde hair. I forget what length, but I always saw it as rather long ie to his eyes. I don't know what his height is like, but I always thought he was pretty tall, around six feet I guess. Slender, but muscular. And of course he has to be smiling :)
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Inkthinker

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 30, 2010, 09:18:37 AM »
Hey, everyone! I revived this from the graveyard with new questions, this time about Kings.

I'm looking at the Parshendi, and trying to lock down a physical description. So far as I can tell, they look like humans, but with red/black marbled skin (is it predominantly red with black marbling, or predominantly black with red marbling? Or either?) and they're thicker and shorter. The warriors are even more muscular, and also have their organic armor which grows from the skin.

What other physical aspects of the parshmen are described within the text? I've browsed the keywords "parshendi" and "parshmen" through my text version of the book, but it's pre-final (closer to the ARC text) and may not have all the references.

Fireborn

• Level 9
  • Geniusness Explosion!
    • View Profile
    • Rampant And Rhetoric
« Reply #38 on: September 30, 2010, 09:39:36 AM »
The marbling of red and black is unique to each one, so what the balance is between the two colors is depends on the specimen. (look at me trying to sound scientific :P )

The males have the beards with bits of gem in them, infused with Stormlight, except for what might be the female of each pair.
When to live is to die, and to die is to live, does either really matter?

Morsker

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2010, 04:45:19 PM »
All parshmen have the red marbling, but some are described as white or pale instead of black. Page 62:

That meant many of the people she saw were exotic. Those single-sheet wraps would mark a man or woman frm Tashikk, far to the west. The long coats, enveloping down to the ankles, but open in the front like cloaks... where were those from? She'd rarely seen so many parshmen as she noted working the dots, carrying cargo on their backs. Like the parshmen her father had owned, these were stout and thick of limb, with their odd marbled skin -- some parts pale or black, others a deep crimson. The mottled pattern was unique to each individual.

I'm reasonably sure I saw elsewhere that the parshmen slaves in Alethkar are mostly white and red, but I can't find the reference. And I visualized the marbling like the alien head patterns in the old Alien Nation TV show, about 50%, but I never noticed anything explicit in the book saying just how much red they have.

Erunion

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 30, 2010, 09:05:04 PM »
Patterns and amounts would be unique to each individual. The colours of the patterning are red, black and white. Eyes are solidly black. Parshendi/men seem to have thicker, bulkier bodies than humans, more muscle, more bone, greater mass. Features should be wider and blockier than most humans.

Parshmen are described as short (average height of 5'4-5'8 maybe?), thick and a little bit overweight. Skin is predominately red and white with some black.
Parshendi are described as being taller and fitter than their worker cousins (the Parshendi shardbearer was 7 feet tall in plate, so probably 6'7-6'8 without plate). They have predominately red and black skin with some white marbling. Armour is coloured a deep, rusty-red/orange, covering the head body and back.

Inkthinker

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 30, 2010, 10:29:42 PM »
Thanks guys, this is just the sort of info I need. I'll probably have to pass stuff through Brandon before I can bring it back here, but this helps save us both time by keeping me on the right track to start with.

Any other details that you can think of, let me know. I'm always most interested in making sure things stay faithful to the book as much as I can.

Inkthinker

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2011, 05:08:13 AM »
Hey guys, guess who's drawing a bunch of Mistborn content again?

Work for the RPG is in-progress, and as always I'm obsessed with getting designs as close to "canon" as I can, by following the text first before getting creative with it. Brandon usually leaves a lot of room to wriggle, so it's easy to start with his descriptions and extrapolate from there. While I'm scanning the books, I figured I'd throw out some questions as they come around, and if you guys can help me with descriptors and your own impressions, that'll help keep me on keel.

As always, it's possible that there's aren't specific descriptors to be found, in which case I'll just do my best. Whatever I do goes past Brandon eventually, but it's always helpful to get it right the first time.

Off the bat, I'm looking for descriptors on Zane. I know he's of medium height, wiry build and dark hair, and he looks (of course) a bit like Elend. He wears no mistcloak, and consistently dresses in black, but I haven't found much that actually describes his clothing in any detail... he wears a sash, at least when Vin chases him. He's armed with glass knives. Past that, I'm still browsing. Suggestions?

PS -  Please don't ask me about the game itself. I don't know the answers, and even if I did I couldn't tell you. But I'm getting paid to draw, so that's as encouraging as you like.

;D

Inkthinker

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2011, 07:17:12 AM »
Another one: What shape are copper clips (the coins most commonly used by Allomancers)? I got the impression somewhere that they were square, and the name "clip" actually implies that they're pieces of a larger coin, sort of the way silver coins were cut into pieces to make change, with the pieces being called "bits".

Unfortunately, square bits of yellow tend to look a lot like Cheez-Its™, so I might have to cheat 'em round just to get them read visually as "coins".

dhalagirl

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2011, 08:34:13 AM »
Firstly, copper isn't yellow so they'd look like Cheez-its with a Snookie tan.

Secondly, I'd imagined the clips looking like very thin, small round coins.  So.......baby Better Chedders with a Snookie tan?

As for Zane, I'd always imagined him in generic pants and shirt in the classic fantasy world style with thigh sheaths for the knives.  I  also figured his clothes would have pockets for extra vials and coins to push.  I don't remember him having a belt pouch, but it's been a while since I've read them.