Author Topic: Ink needs to do his own research  (Read 18700 times)

Shard

• Level 8
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Ink needs to do his own research
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2009, 11:36:43 AM »
I saw him as having slightly paler than normal skin and Vin reaching him at about nipple level.  (Sorry, couldn't think of another way to describe that. ha ha.)

Chest level is usually the term.
We need the metaphor of Magic and Monsters to understand the Human condition ~Stephan Donaldson.

Vatdoro

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2009, 04:40:55 PM »
I would definitely NOT make Sazed 7 feet tall. 7 feet tall is freakishly tall. I'm 6'7" and a lot of people think of me as being "freakishly tall". I think I definitely fit into the category of "abnormally tall". I wouldn't make Sazed any taller than 6'6" or 6'7".

Min is supposed to be a little shorter than average and petite. Like Myabi, I always envisioned Sazed with a very pale complexion. Almost like an albino, but no pink eyes of course. If you draw Vin short and petite, and Sazed around 6'6" I think she would come up to his rib cage, which is what I always pictured.

Rrikor

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2009, 05:45:11 PM »
Im with Miyabi on the skin tone.  I always pictured him as an albino Gandhi in my head, except taller.  With the lack of direct sunlight I expect most people to have a lighter skin tone but with it emphasized on Saze.

Inkthinker

• Level 11
  • Animation and Illustration
    • View Profile
    • inkthinker.deviantart.com
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2009, 08:52:05 PM »
Hm. With such a range of impressions, I'll probably shelve this until something official can be learned.

How tall is Kelsier? Is that ever clearly defined?

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2009, 09:05:11 PM »
I saw him as having slightly paler than normal skin and Vin reaching him at about nipple level.  (Sorry, couldn't think of another way to describe that. ha ha.)

Chest level is usually the term.
Yeah, but that's not quite right, because that insinuates like the middle of the chest where as the nipple is closer to the bottom of the chest.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2009, 09:12:10 PM »
He just is reminding himself how much he likes twinking people nipples... :P
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2009, 09:23:03 PM »
A little bit taller than Vin.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Inkthinker

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2009, 12:20:24 AM »
Kelsier is a bit taller than Vin? Or Sazed?

I'm of the mind that Kelsier is around 6' tall, Vin around 5' or slightly taller as the series progresses (she's only 16 at the beginning, after all), and so I still think Sazed need to come in near to 7.

Like I said, I think I'll table this until more information is available. I always have other subjects to pick upon.

Here's a new question; what (if any) internal organs do the kandra have? They need a brain and a circulatory and nervous system (I presume), but past that what do they have aside from a collection of malleable muscle forms and a skin?

Miyabi

• Level 45
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2009, 12:25:50 AM »
When they are in their true from they are look like a mass of translucent muscles in a blue-ish sack.  When in a true-body (I think they called it that) they have translucent muscles still, but they have bones made out of whatever they choose.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Inkthinker

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2009, 02:25:03 AM »
Right, I remember that they can also change their skin color from translucent to opaque/normal at will, and presumably grow and shed hair as needed.

I presume they somehow replicate organs like the eyeball, somehow. A tongue is a muscle, but hair is not, and skin tone is a function of melanin. Was there no mention of a brain, or other internal organs.

Shaggy

• Level 32
  • I advise you not to argue. We have chipmunks.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2009, 02:58:00 AM »
Lol miyabi. You could've said 'pectoral level' or something like that. lol
The Shag Dog Has Spoken

SniperCatBeliever

Bringer of Flames, Leader of Destruction, Head Chipmunk.

High Chipolata of C.F.N (Chipmunks For Nuts)

"You sound like a commercial."

{Pie-Lover Poster Boy}

OOP Member.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2009, 03:22:35 AM »
I seem to remember that they can't replicate hair (and nails I assume)—they can only use the hair they get when they digest a body. But they can make eyeballs...I think. And they have to have some form of lungs in order to speak. They don't need digestive organs though—their flesh itself does the digesting.

All my books are packed up right now from the move, so I can't check, but the part at the beginning of MB3 when TenSoon cries out for judgment should be instructive. Also the part when he makes the body they give him for the trial.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

ryos

• Level 17
  • The Decemberween Thnikkaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2009, 03:27:12 AM »
I don't think they have any internal organs in their "true" form, and there is no mention of a brain. I think that their cognition is more distributed and robust. Also, I suspect that since sentience is conferred by hemalurgic spikes, their intelligence is more spiritually than physically based.

The Kandra learns to form organs, including the eyes, as part of the process of consuming the original body. They can't form hair and must use the original hair from the body. I assume, though this is not specifically stated (or even implied) in any book, that the bodies they form are capable of growing hair; otherwise their hair would start to look pretty shabby over time. However, if they can grow hair it grows at the normal rate, so if you want hair instantly you're stuck with the original stock.

From TenSoon we learn that a Kandra is capable of coming up with organs on its own, even if they are just handed fleshless bones. However, his speed and proficiency at forming bodies was an oddity among Kandra and a product of his ~700 years of experience doing it. Most Kandra would take several hours to form a body that he could form in minutes.

Kandra wearing True Bodies would have to invent their own musculature, and there are references to them using odd materials (like cloth strips) for hair. They would also need lungs and vocal chords to be able to speak. However, we see that a Kandra can absorb and digest food directly, so it needs no digestive organs.

A Kandra can form a body of any size, provided they consume enough food to increase their mass. If Kandra were real, they could bring dinosaurs to life.

If you couldn't tell, I thought the Kandra were one of the most fascinating creatures in the books, so a lot about them stuck with me. :)
Eerongal made off with my Fluffy Puff confections.

Reaves

• Level 23
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 29, 2009, 03:35:18 AM »
I'm not officially doing anything for anyone. I love Brandon's writing and I think he's a creator who's got a lot of potential. I'm not going to comment on any conversations I've had with him in private.

I have done some work for Crafty Games over the past couple years, and I enjoy working with them a lot. And they are slated to begin working on the Mistborn RPG this year.

Make of that what you will.

Right now I'm just having some fun practicing my skills at adapting text into visual design. I'm sure we're all familiar with adapted projects where you have to wonder if the people who did the designs even bothered to read the original author's work (I can tell you that often we don't, sometimes by necessity and sometimes out of pique or a desire to "make it our own"). I know it drives me nuts, and I think I'm not alone in that, but as an illustrator I'm in a position to actually walk the talk.

While I do work as a professional illustrator, what I'm posting around here lately is technically "fan art". I am a fan, I am drawing some art. I chose to adapt Mistborn material because I was struck by Brandon's powerful descriptions in the Mistborn novels. I probably burn through two novels a week on average (readin' some Lieber right now, got some Duncan on the slate next), and while I'm always "seeing" the book in my mind's eye, it's rare that I'm so powerfully inspired by the imagery of what I'm reading that I feel the need to actually get up off my lazy bum and put it out on the page.

Sanderson managed to pull that off multiple times in every novel. As an illustrator that's not a thing to pass upon. If I thought I could, I'd want to make a graphic novel series out of 'em. For now, I'll settle for fan art.

At any rate, this thread is a blatant attempt by me to get everyone else to help me get the details right as I doodle along. I figure there's no better place than this to find people who know what I know... that Mistborn looks awesome.

Ok. Thanks for clearing that up ;)

BTW, I would love to see a sketch of a mistborn burning atium. Awesome! (And now I am officially done changing the subject on your thread.)
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 29, 2009, 04:09:28 AM »
When Tensoon uses Kelsier's bones he is bald b/c they can't replicate hair, but yes they can replicate eyes and other organs...
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz