Author Topic: Ink needs to do his own research  (Read 18687 times)

Inkthinker

• Level 11
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Animation and Illustration
    • View Profile
    • inkthinker.deviantart.com
Ink needs to do his own research
« on: April 24, 2009, 10:10:22 PM »
Hey all, I'm here to pick your brains again rather than pick through the books for reference. Help a brother out:

In what ways do Terrismen differ physically from humans? I know they're taller, and I seem to recall Sazed being described as skinny, but what else was noted in the text?

And in terms of humans and the class structure of the Final Empire; there's peasant skaa, city skaa, merchant skaa, nobles  and the Canton (inquisitors). What else am I not thinking of? Are we to assume that the classes are largely the same across the Empire?

What other non-humans are mentioned outside of koloss and the kandra (and the mistwraiths, which are immature kandra)?

Were there other mentions of wildlife outside of dogs and horses (and if I recall correctly, rats)? I know much of the wildlife in the world is gone due to environmental changes, but what other domestic wildlife has survived? Cows? Cats? Pigs? Chickens?

I'm sure I'll come up with other questions as time goes on. I've got the novels for refs (and lately I've been highlighting or underlining passages that are particularly descriptive, so eventually I'll have a "visually annotated" copy of the trilogy), but sometimes it's just easier to ask.

ryos

• Level 17
  • The Decemberween Thnikkaman
    • View Profile
Re: Ink needs to do his own research
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2009, 10:52:29 PM »
In what ways do Terrismen differ physically from humans? I know they're taller, and I seem to recall Sazed being described as skinny, but what else was noted in the text?

Besides the fact that they are human themselves, there's the whole Feruchemy thing.

And in terms of humans and the class structure of the Final Empire; there's peasant skaa, city skaa, merchant skaa, nobles  and the Canton (inquisitors). What else am I not thinking of? Are we to assume that the classes are largely the same across the Empire?

Are you including Obligators in the Canton? Also, Obligators are of noble birth.

Were there other mentions of wildlife outside of dogs and horses (and if I recall correctly, rats)? I know much of the wildlife in the world is gone due to environmental changes, but what other domestic wildlife has survived? Cows? Cats? Pigs? Chickens?

Goats for sure. I don't remember anything else.
Eerongal made off with my Fluffy Puff confections.

Inkthinker

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2009, 12:15:04 AM »
I'm mostly referring only to physical appearance differences. Different ears, noses, etc.

Feruchemy does make physical changes, (pewtermind channeling, for instance), but I'm looking for a basic, "average" reference.

I've found the passage that descibes Sazed (which is also, I think, the first time we meet a Terrisman at all). He is taller than Kelsier, enough to be considered abnormally tall, but not so much that Sanderson needed to lay out a height as he does later with the koloss. I'm thinking that means about 7 feet or so. He has stretched earlobes with studs that run all around the outside (which we know to be metalminds, now), and his arms are longer than normal. He has a "long, flat face" and a "willowy" build.

From that I can makes some extrapolations, but anything I'm missing would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 09:15:04 AM by Inkthinker »

ryos

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2009, 04:26:53 AM »
You didn't mention it, so I thought I'd throw out that Sazed shaves his head.

I've also always thought of him as not being white, but the description of Tindwyl kinda puts the kibosh on that.

Inkthinker

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2009, 04:59:46 AM »
I actually did miss that. For some reason I had him pictured as having a sort of colonial haircut, shoulder-length pulled back into a short tail.

That's why I check in with the crowd here, someone usually catches me before I wander off too far.

Rough sketch posted in the Fan Art thread. Feel free to check it out and let me know what else I'm missing.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2009, 09:14:31 AM by Inkthinker »

Hero of Ages

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2009, 08:26:08 AM »
I've also always thought of him as not being white, but the description of Tindwyl kinda puts the kibosh on that.

I must have missed that description.  I always though of the Terrismen as having darker skin.  Kinda the color of Jada Pinkett Smith's skin.
I must not fear;
Fear is the mind killer;
I will face my fear;
I will let it pass through me;
When the fear is gone, there will be nothing;
Only I will remain.
-Paul Muad'dib Atreides-

Anticipation of death is worse than death itself.
-Me-

Inkthinker

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2009, 09:15:16 AM »
I'm not sure of any passage that described his skin color. Can anyone find the page in particular?

Shard

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2009, 01:09:24 PM »
I always thought of him as black as well, I thought that part was kept vague for our own imagination. *shrug*
We need the metaphor of Magic and Monsters to understand the Human condition ~Stephan Donaldson.

ryos

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2009, 08:33:45 PM »
I don't think Tindwyl's skin color was ever described, but I thought she had blonde hair and blue eyes. *shrug* I could be remembering wrong, though. In fact, I'd really like to keep my mental image of Sazed as a black man - nothing else really feels right, so I do hope I'm misremembering.

Inkthinker

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2009, 09:43:00 PM »
Blonde hair and blue eyes would not necessarily preclude darker skin tones.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2009, 09:44:34 PM by Inkthinker »

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2009, 02:15:54 AM »
Ink, I seem to vaguely remember hearing somewhere you had some kind of business relationship with Brandon. Is that true or am I completely off?

PS I realize I am off topic here but I couldn't think of anywhere else to post :P
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Inkthinker

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2009, 03:18:44 AM »
I'm not officially doing anything for anyone. I love Brandon's writing and I think he's a creator who's got a lot of potential. I'm not going to comment on any conversations I've had with him in private.

I have done some work for Crafty Games over the past couple years, and I enjoy working with them a lot. And they are slated to begin working on the Mistborn RPG this year.

Make of that what you will.

Right now I'm just having some fun practicing my skills at adapting text into visual design. I'm sure we're all familiar with adapted projects where you have to wonder if the people who did the designs even bothered to read the original author's work (I can tell you that often we don't, sometimes by necessity and sometimes out of pique or a desire to "make it our own"). I know it drives me nuts, and I think I'm not alone in that, but as an illustrator I'm in a position to actually walk the talk.

While I do work as a professional illustrator, what I'm posting around here lately is technically "fan art". I am a fan, I am drawing some art. I chose to adapt Mistborn material because I was struck by Brandon's powerful descriptions in the Mistborn novels. I probably burn through two novels a week on average (readin' some Lieber right now, got some Duncan on the slate next), and while I'm always "seeing" the book in my mind's eye, it's rare that I'm so powerfully inspired by the imagery of what I'm reading that I feel the need to actually get up off my lazy bum and put it out on the page.

Sanderson managed to pull that off multiple times in every novel. As an illustrator that's not a thing to pass upon. If I thought I could, I'd want to make a graphic novel series out of 'em. For now, I'll settle for fan art.

At any rate, this thread is a blatant attempt by me to get everyone else to help me get the details right as I doodle along. I figure there's no better place than this to find people who know what I know... that Mistborn looks awesome.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2009, 03:22:37 AM by Inkthinker »

Rane

• Level 3
    • View Profile
    • Livejournal
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2009, 05:57:14 AM »
I've always pictured Sazed as having a bronze-like skin color, and about 6'4"-6'5", somewhere around that height.

Inkthinker

• Level 11
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2009, 08:58:17 AM »
I think you're right with the skin tone, but I'm still thinking he needs to hit the 7-foot mark to fit the description of "abnormally tall". Possibly 7'6". He needs to be NBA tall.

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2009, 09:10:59 AM »
I saw him as having slightly paler than normal skin and Vin reaching him at about nipple level.  (Sorry, couldn't think of another way to describe that. ha ha.)
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。