Author Topic: The Way of Kings : pre-release  (Read 37176 times)

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • Fell Points: 1
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
Re: The Way of Kings : pre-release
« Reply #135 on: August 01, 2009, 12:37:12 AM »
Ooo, that sounds promising.  Now I'm all excited.  Any news on WHEN he'll start releasing things?
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

Ehran

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 01, 2009, 03:23:58 AM »
2010 is looking like it'll turn out to be a great year for fantasy,  hopefully G.R.R.M. will also be releasing "A Dance with Dragons".

Wow, eternal optimist are you?    ;D

Plasman

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 01, 2009, 04:19:47 AM »
i am turning 19 and plan on leaving on my mission before Kings comes out
Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 01, 2009, 06:39:34 AM »
Ah! Well then, you'll hopefully have a couple books waiting for you when you get home, plus another one coming out very soon!

Nothing that I knew was coming before my mission bothered me very much, and I enjoyed catching up once I got back. I was seriously annoyed at not getting to see The Postman though, since I loved the book and the first time I knew it was being made into a movie was when I saw a poster at a bus stop. But that turned out all right too because the movie wasn't that great. (Well, there was a good movie in there, but there was also an extra hour of film.)
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Plasman

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 02, 2009, 04:08:10 AM »
yeah it'll be ok. it was just kind of a bummer when i first realized it. but i  guess this way i won't have to stop for two years in between books.
Duct tape is like the force, it has a light side and a dark side and it holds the universe together.

Ari54

• Level 8
    • View Profile
    • M.J. Whitehead.com
« Reply #140 on: August 03, 2009, 09:52:42 AM »
Come back safely! :) That way you can tell us what you thought of Way of Kings ;)

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: August 03, 2009, 11:03:07 PM »
Now that I think about it, I turn 19 in 2 years, so there's a good chance that I could just barely miss the last wheel of time book. That would be thoroughly dissappointing, though I have been waiting so long already it really wouldn't make much of a difference. And I'll have a Way of Kings "gap," but oh well. I'll live.
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

zas678

• Level 7
  • Job Title: Hoid Desciption: RAFO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: December 16, 2009, 05:32:05 AM »
Hey lookee what I found! Anyways, I think that Way of Kings will have a guy who just 'happens' to stumble onto a shard sword (mystical shard-powered things) and he will struggle what to do with it. Does he try to take power with it , because he's a good person and would rule better? Or does he give it to someone else who he feels is more 'worthy' to have it? Or does he not take power because he feels it would corrupt him?

Any who, I think that we will also have a fairly scholarly figure, since Brandon seems to like them (Sazed, Elend, Raoden, Vasher?). I also think he will have a fairly strong female leader, but not another Vin.  I think that part of the magic, as some people seem to already know (curse you Dragonsteel!), Will be the ability to change from the Physical to the Cognitive, and maybe even to the Spiritual? I doubt that last one, or it will be such a rare (or impossible) occurance that it is a huge deal when a character gets it.
“It’s a fun tradition.”
“So was witch-burning,” Melody said.  “Unless you were the witch.”

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: December 16, 2009, 05:34:52 AM »
I'm almost postivie you're right about the female lead and scolar, who if the snipit I listened do is any idication, will be the same character.

Another cool aspect of the magic that I've gotten from talking to DS readers is that if you can do one magic, you can do them all, which would be really cool.  It will definatly be an intresting change from MB where that was something they tried to keep secret until the end-ish.
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: December 16, 2009, 05:58:29 AM »

The magic system in DS if you used one you didn't have it was REALLY hard to do.
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

Troubadour

• Level 4
  • Fantabulous
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: December 16, 2009, 08:26:46 AM »
Will be the ability to change from the Physical to the Cognitive, and maybe even to the Spiritual?
Hopefully this is true. It fits right in with the whole duality of Roshar vs. Shadesmar, and my multi-planar planet theory.

Inkthinker

• Level 11
  • Animation and Illustration
    • View Profile
    • inkthinker.deviantart.com
« Reply #146 on: December 16, 2009, 09:52:39 AM »
hahaha... I see what Brandon means when he says it's equal parts fun and frustration to watch people speculate.  ;D

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: December 16, 2009, 09:57:47 AM »

Ink!  Your art is truly missed!
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: December 16, 2009, 11:53:40 AM »
I second that your art is missed, although I must add that from what I've been allowed to see of your concept art, I can't wait to see what all you've done.  And I must tell you that the stuff I have seen is amazing!

Vatdoro

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: December 16, 2009, 05:49:07 PM »

Ink!  Your art is truly missed!

When I heard the signing in Salt Lake last week had some concept art for TWoK I was ecstatic because I assumed it would be Ink's artwork. I have to admit I was a little disappointed when I learned it was Isaac's maps and symbols. (Nothing against Isaac's work. I think he's done an outstanding job on Brandon's books.)

Anyway, I'm just saying I've REALLY been looking forward to seeing the artwork Ink has done for TWoK for a long time. Too bad it's so top secret you can't share it on here.  :(