Author Topic: The Way of Kings : pre-release  (Read 37517 times)

necronos

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: The Way of Kings : pre-release
« Reply #105 on: July 08, 2009, 05:23:13 AM »
Will that be page 587 of the hard back copy or the paper back?

There is already 33 reviews on amazon for Way of Kings already
jeremy208: #FakeKings Wow, the world's first fantasy novel written in 3-D!. The words literally jump off the page. The fight scenes gave me bruises. Ow!

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 08, 2009, 05:50:46 AM »
The manuscript.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

douglas

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 08, 2009, 06:06:17 AM »
Ooo, a spoiler!  No, no, don't tell me, let me guess.  Is it "the"?  Or maybe "a"?

firstRainbowRose

• Level 18
  • Fell Points: 1
  • So pretty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 08, 2009, 06:16:51 AM »
Ook, if you still need someone to post a review I'll do it.  And I don't even really care about the reveals either.
"The custom of royalty in referring to oneself is to naturally employ the royal 'we'.  We are very happy, we are very sad, we are bored and suffer from ennui.  For a royal prince there's no such word as 'me', It's always 'we'.  So rightfully I should be two or three, don't you agree?"

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 08, 2009, 06:32:32 AM »
Ooo, a spoiler!  No, no, don't tell me, let me guess.  Is it "the"?  Or maybe "a"?
Well...you're very close. ;)

FRR, I'm private-messaging you.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

necronos

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 08, 2009, 06:50:56 AM »
how many reviews do you want? I've too have the magical ability to post reviews to amazon
jeremy208: #FakeKings Wow, the world's first fantasy novel written in 3-D!. The words literally jump off the page. The fight scenes gave me bruises. Ow!

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #111 on: July 08, 2009, 06:53:04 AM »
Oh my gosh. That new review is hilarious! I love it! If only an author would REALLY do that.... :D
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 08, 2009, 07:23:22 AM »
It's not the quantity that matters. It's the creativity. Don't just write the same kind of review someone else has already written. We need more unexpected gems. :)

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #113 on: July 08, 2009, 08:18:34 AM »
In an unrelated note, I am very excited for the Way of Kings and the Stormlight Archive :D
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 08, 2009, 03:26:33 PM »
seems like Brandon told me at one point that his books would be released between the end of Aug. and Oct. Then when WoT is done in a couple of years, his books will take over the traditional WoT late Oct./November release slot.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 08, 2009, 04:36:53 PM »
Assuming the first two sell well. ;)

Ehran

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 08, 2009, 04:44:06 PM »
Dang, I wish I had logged in last night to get in on this.

Can someone link the review here?

Pygmalion

• Level 5
    • View Profile
"Vision is the art of seeing the invisible" - Jonathan Swift

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 08, 2009, 06:25:45 PM »
Assuming the first two sell well. ;)

exactly. i dont see that being much of an issue though.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #119 on: July 09, 2009, 12:17:49 AM »
Oh, my gosh. Brandon just posted a more in-depth description of Kings on the Barnes and Noble forum (he's now doing a Q&A there). It sounds even MORE amazing. AH!

I've told Tor that I want to release KINGS on a schedule of two books, followed by one book in another setting, then two more KINGS.  The series of KINGS has been named The Stormlight Archive.  (The Way of Kings is the name of the first volume.)

So I should be doing plenty of shorter series in between.  We'll see how busy this all keeps me.  I think I'd go crazy if I weren't allowed to do new worlds every now and again.

But, then, KINGS turned out very, very well.  (The first book is complete as of yesterday.)  What is it about?  Well...I'm struggling to find words to explain it.  I could easily give a one or two line pitch on my previous books, but the scope of what I'm trying with this novel is such that it defies my attempts to pin it down.

It happens in a world where hurricane-like storms crash over the land every few days.  All of plant life and animal life has had to evolve to deal with this.  Plants, for instance, have shells they can withdraw into before a storm.  Even trees pull in their leaves and branches.  There is no soil, just endless fields of rock. 

According to the mythology of the world, mankind used to live in The Tranquiline Halls.  Heaven.  Well, a group of evil spirits known as the Voidbringers assaulted and captured heaven, casting out God and men.  Men took root on Roshar, the world of storms, but the Voidbringers chased them there, trying to push them off of Roshar and into Damnation. 

The voidbringers came against man a hundred by a hundred times, trying to destroy them or push them away.  To help them cope, the Almighty gave men powerful suits of armor and mystical weapons, known as Shardblades.  Led by ten angelic Heralds and ten orders of knights known as Radiants, men resisted the Voidbringers ten thousand times, finally winning and finding peace.

Or so the legends say.  Today, the only remnants of those supposed battles are the Shardblades, the possession of which makes a man nearly invincible on the battlefield.  The entire world, essentially, is at war with itself--and has been for centuries since the Radiants turned against mankind.  Kings strive to win more Shardblades, each secretly wishing to be the one who will finally unite all of mankind under a single throne.

That's the backstory.  Probably too much of it.  (Sorry.)  The book follows a young spearman forced into the army of a Shardbearer, led to war against an enemy he doesn't understand and doesn't really want to fight.  It will deal with the truth of what happened deep in mankind's past.  Why did the Radiants turn against mankind, and what happened to the magic they used to wield?

I've been working on this book for ten years now.  Rather than making it easier to describe and explain, that has made it more daunting.  I'm sure I'll get better at it as I revise and as people ask me more often.  ;)
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."