Author Topic: The Way of Kings : pre-release  (Read 37325 times)

FantasyAngel

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: The Way of Kings : pre-release
« Reply #90 on: May 12, 2009, 10:00:20 PM »
I agree Robin Hobbs Farseer, Liveship and Fools trilogy's were all good, they keep wanting more and I regularly go back for a re-read.  Her Soldier Son trilogy was to be honest dire. The first book left me feeling meh and i wasn't sure whether to read the second.  In the end I did and I regret it.  I never bother wasting my money on the third, it's made me reluctant to buy any more of her books.

That's what I love about Brandon's book, time and again his books grab you and keep you begging for more.   I know TWoKs will do the same and even though I glad he's working hard on the WoT I'm glad he's still working on his own stuff because I can't get enough of it.
In a world gone mad escape into fantasy.

Silk

• Level 31
  • ...no room for someone in second place...
    • View Profile
    • Beyond Impossibility
« Reply #91 on: May 13, 2009, 04:51:01 AM »
Hobb's Farseer (assassin) trilogy definitely had depressing parts, especially in the second book, and the third book had some retconning problems. I was very happy with the end of the Fool trilogy, though, which follows it (and also follows the Liveship trilogy). I thought the end was very good—the characters deserved to be happy for once, doggone it. So if you liked the Assassin books but weren't thrilled with the ending, keep reading the Liveship and Fool trilogies and you won't regret it in the end.

Good to know, Ook. Honestly, I found the Farseer trilogy more depressing than Abercrombie's books, at times.

I'd have been quite surprised if Sanderson hadn't continued to work on his own stuff. I'm sure working on the Wheel of Time is wonderful, but I can't see why anyone would want to work on someone else's stuff exclusively for such a long period of time.

Ehran

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 13, 2009, 09:12:59 PM »
I've started The Blade Itself three times and just can't get into it.  People I know say I'm nuts (well, more than normal) but I just keep saying "meh" as I read it.   The book just doesn't grab my attention.  Anyone else have that problem with that book?

I'm looking forward to tWoK because Sanderson has never had any problems getting my attention early in any of his books.

PW

« Reply #93 on: June 04, 2009, 01:02:35 AM »
He's going to post a blog entry about it soon, so RAFO.

RAFO.  LOL.

Vatdoro

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 07, 2009, 05:15:26 PM »
B. Sanderson's latest Tweet:

And...done! 381,097 words. Whoo, boy. That's about 1/3 longer than it was supposed to be. But it's DONE. And it rocks.

1/3 longer than it was supposed to be? That got me wondering what other books are about that size. One of Sanderson's old blog posts has a good list of books and word counts:
http://www.brandonsanderson.com/blog/743/Happy-Holidays-and-Merry-Christmas!

There are (currently) only two WoT books longer than Way of Kings! Wow.  :o That's going to be quite the first installment of an epic series. I can't wait!  ;D

Pygmalion

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 07, 2009, 06:22:34 PM »
I just saw that update myself!! Now if only we didn't have to wait so long to read it.... *sigh*
"Vision is the art of seeing the invisible" - Jonathan Swift

Ehran

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 07, 2009, 07:45:43 PM »
We could start an online petition to delay the release of WoT so that the WoK could come out first?

Ya think that would be successful?

:)

Pygmalion

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 07, 2009, 09:49:58 PM »
Something tells me that wouldn't go over very well with a lot of people. Much as I want to read WoT, I think I could wait... I've waited this long already, what's a little longer?  ;D Way of Kings for the win!

douglas

• Level 8
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 07, 2009, 09:59:47 PM »
We could start an online petition to delay the release of WoT so that the WoK could come out first?

Ya think that would be successful?

:)
Just how many death threats are you trying to get, here?  I'd almost expect an angry mob to spontaneously form outside your house if you did that.

Wolfstar

• Level 6
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 07, 2009, 10:10:50 PM »
Maybe we'd be better off with an online petition to have him release this draft of WoK on his site.
You can think without acting and you can act without thinking... but which is worse?

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 07, 2009, 11:33:03 PM »
I dont think he should (or will) release WoK online first. It was a great experiment with a stand-alone (kinda) novel, but i dont think it would be a good marketing decision for the first in a huge series. Given what this series means to Tor and to Brandon, I think waiting a year in anticipation will be a good thing.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Valkynphyre

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 07, 2009, 11:47:16 PM »
It's done? Hehehehee hahahahaha MUAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH!  ooo, I can't wait. so how long do you guys think before we'll get to read it?
Bow before The Worldbringer, Squirrel King![/color]

Publius

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 08, 2009, 01:53:02 AM »
It's done? Hehehehee hahahahaha MUAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAH!  ooo, I can't wait. so how long do you guys think before we'll get to read it?

I would guess that it would be released next June/July.  I doubt Tor would want to release this book too close to the next Wheel of Time book. 
Man is not free unless government is limited ~ Ronald Reagan

Pygmalion

• Level 5
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 08, 2009, 05:07:11 AM »
Next summer would be great... I wish more books I want to read would be released in the summer. Way more time to read, fewer consequences for staying up until 4:00am.

I LOVE the series title, the Stormlight Archive. It's intriguing and it just makes me happy.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 08, 2009, 05:15:20 AM »
By the way, I volunteered to find someone to post a Way of Kings review on Amazon for someone. (You have to have bought any product ever from Amazon US in order to review something there.) It's a pretty humorous review. Someone, step up to the plate! I will pay you by revealing the 4th word of the 9th line of page 587.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!