Author Topic: What do you think of Joseph Smith?  (Read 7557 times)

Pink Bunkadoo

• Level 7
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Ookla's sister
    • View Profile
    • Helena's webpage
Re: What do you think of Joseph Smith?
« Reply #45 on: April 24, 2009, 10:20:50 PM »

Though admittedly I don't know if any of the people in the breakaway groups want to still be called Mormons.

Not that I've actually spoken to any of these people in person (as far as I know) but I've been told that they do refer to themselves as Mormon.  At least the Utah Polygamist ones do.  I imagine there are other groups that don't.
~금강산도 식후경~

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #46 on: April 25, 2009, 06:00:11 AM »
Ookla:  Yes, he is called al-Masīḥ, but he is not the Messiah in any meaningful sense (to Christians) in Islam.  He was not divine, he was not ressurrected from the dead, and he was certainly not as great as Muhammad.
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 25, 2009, 07:34:19 AM »
Yes, but the literal meaning of the Hebrew/Greek-origin words "messiah/christ" is anointed one, so it's technically correct, though not meaningfully so as you say. I agree that muslims don't think he's christ the way we believe he's Christ, but what Renoard said was not "absolutely incorrect." But it was misleading (even if unintentionally so).
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

The Jade Knight

• Level 39
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Lord of the Absent-Minded
    • View Profile
    • Don't go here
« Reply #48 on: April 25, 2009, 07:55:25 AM »
Ah, you have me there.

But as far as his using it to show that "Muslims accept Jesus as the Christ", he was incorrect.  Even if, yes, Muslims do call Jesus "the anointed".
"Never argue with a fool; they'll bring you down to their level, and then beat you with experience."