Author Topic: Chuck  (Read 9678 times)

mtlhddoc2

• Level 9
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: Chuck
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2010, 05:45:56 PM »
Lol, I guess that would be an issue, but not for those of us that havent been to Florida or San Bernadino ;)

But there was no warning, just...  poof...  and it was gone....

ryos

• Level 17
  • The Decemberween Thnikkaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2010, 06:25:38 AM »
My hope is that "New Media" solves this. I mean, just look what it's done for comics. For decades, newspapers shrunk the size of the funny pages, placing ever-more-restrictive stipulations on the formatting of the content. Innovative new strips rarely got a foothold. Old strips that died off weren't replaced with new; old strips that stagnated weren't replaced with new; and now the newspaper funny pages are a wasteland.

Now, the Internet is the place to go for comics. There is no restriction on format, content, schedule, or even on who gets published. My RSS reader gives me a daily "funny page" far better than I ever got from any newspaper. I can only imagine what Calvin and Hobbes would have looked like as a webcomic...

Of course, video takes a lot more resources than comics. One man can't very well create an entire production, as is the case with most comics. The closest I can think of are the Chapman brothers' Homestar Runner, but voice actors that can voice a dozen characters are fairly rare.

That said, the pattern of new media has been for budgets to shrink and teams to become leaner. The fat gets cut, middlemen disappear, and the content...actually gets better. I can see nothing that suggests it can't happen for television.
Eerongal made off with my Fluffy Puff confections.

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
  • Fell Points: 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2010, 12:19:50 AM »
I like this show, but I am becoming increasingly bothered by what Peter mentioned earlier:

1) not enough "flashes" on informational stuff.
2) "flashes" on physical stuff don't (thus far) have any sort of retention on Chuck's body.  Just the muscle memory alone from missions and the extensive training he went through should have had an effect.

I still think they should have scrapped the Buy More and had Chuck own his own business as a front.  Right now, other than Casey being awesome, Buy More is pointless.

And Brandon Roth is a terrible actor.

That is all.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2010, 07:17:39 AM »
I really liked this week's episode in an emotional way. It was gutwrenching.

Karen says she just hopes they don't play the same emotional beat over and over and over again this season like they have in times past.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2010, 06:44:27 AM »
At the end of this week's episode, Karen said (in a fake gravelly electronically distorted voice), "So now we have a mysterious Ring Tribunal, and the fact that they're not showing us their faces means that it's probably someone we know, possibly even Big Mike."

At which point we burst out into uncontrollable giggles that lasted at least five minutes.

Right now, I really hope Big Mike is on the Ring Tribunal.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Pink Bunkadoo

• Level 7
  • Ookla's sister
    • View Profile
    • Helena's webpage
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2010, 06:16:18 AM »
Ha.
~금강산도 식후경~

ryos

• Level 17
  • The Decemberween Thnikkaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2010, 12:21:18 AM »
I had two eye-rolling moments in this latest episode ("Chuck vs. the Beard"), both involving unnecessarily stupid bad guys.

The first error:

Bad guy boss: Kill Colonel Casey.

Two goons: OK! *walk up behind Casey, point guns at him, do not fire. Instead, wait for him to close a distance of 5 to 10 feet and beat the snot out of you.*

The second, more grievous error:

Bad guy boss: Kill the prisoners.

Ring goons: OK! *do not take out guns and shoot the helpless prisoners handcuffed on the floor. Instead, stand them up and unlock their handcuffs so Chuck can demonstrate his Intersect powers to Morgan in a flashy kung-fu fight.*

I know that Chuck isn't really about the action, but shoot. That's just sloppy, lazy writing.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2010, 02:05:31 AM by ryos »
Eerongal made off with my Fluffy Puff confections.

Bookstore Guy

• Level 21
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2010, 05:43:13 PM »
They made up for it by playing Duck Hunt.  Seriously.  It seems like they are hinting that some of the intersect IS being retained.  I hope.

And really, the bad guy boss used to be on the Drew Carey Show.  You can't expect him to actually be intelligent.
Check out our blog, Elitist Book Reviews at:
http://elitistbookreviews.blogspot.com/

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2010, 06:19:40 PM »
The whole thing was apparently an elaborate setup to get a ring phone into Castle so they could contact Casey, so I'm not surprised they sent morons. :)