Author Topic: ***SPOILERS Official Hero of Ages Spoilers Thread. Includes Q&A w/Brandon****  (Read 335734 times)

doode999

• Level 1
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: ***SPOILERS Official Hero of Ages Spoilers Thread. Includes Q&A w/Brandon*
« Reply #900 on: November 04, 2009, 08:19:31 AM »
     Ok, I've been reading through this forum off and on for probably a month now, so forgive me if my question has already been asked, but all these posts are sort of melting together lately.
     In any case, if Marsh were to stay alive forever, wouldn't he need a whole lot of atium? or at least a good amount to get himself started? Also, has Brandon shown up on this site at all recently? I could understand why not, but if anyone has heard from him, I really want to hear some of his awesome insights. No matter what topic they're on.
In other news, an earthquake wiped out Etchisketchistan today.

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
Re: ***SPOILERS Official Hero of Ages Spoilers Thread. Includes Q&A w/Brandon*
« Reply #901 on: November 04, 2009, 05:28:54 PM »
     Ok, I've been reading through this forum off and on for probably a month now, so forgive me if my question has already been asked, but all these posts are sort of melting together lately.
     In any case, if Marsh were to stay alive forever, wouldn't he need a whole lot of atium? or at least a good amount to get himself started? Also, has Brandon shown up on this site at all recently? I could understand why not, but if anyone has heard from him, I really want to hear some of his awesome insights. No matter what topic they're on.

Marsh has been asked and answered a couple of times now.  Basically, Marsh was incredibly lucky, and at the end of HoA had all the Atium the Kandra tried to sell.  Because he doesn't actually need that much to get the trick to work, he will technically not be immortal, but easily has enough to pull another 1000 years, at least.
Nature hates being reified.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Re: ***SPOILERS Official Hero of Ages Spoilers Thread. Includes Q&A w/Brandon****
« Reply #902 on: November 04, 2009, 06:41:28 PM »
Brandon may stop by after Way of Kings is released, but he'd have to RAFO a ton since that's just the first book in a long series. He did answer a lot of questions at the beginning of this thread, but he hasn't been back in a while because the forum can be very distracting. The most interaction you can get online with Brandon right now is on Facebook, but people don't post spoiler theories there.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

doode999

• Level 1
    • View Profile
Re: ***SPOILERS Official Hero of Ages Spoilers Thread. Includes Q&A w/Brandon****
« Reply #903 on: November 13, 2009, 06:13:51 PM »
Cool, thanks guys.  Sorry to ask that question again. It had been on my mind since the beginning, and by the time I got to the end I could hardly remember anything about it for some reason.
          Also, is Way of Kings closer than I expected? I thought he wasn't doing that for years or something.
In other news, an earthquake wiped out Etchisketchistan today.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: November 13, 2009, 07:40:43 PM »
1st book comes out in like the late fall/ early winter of 2011 or something like that
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #905 on: November 14, 2009, 02:36:01 AM »
I suppose that Ruin could've if he wanted to. After all, he showed (ahh! Brain blank!) Vin's brother to Vin, and Kelsier to Spook.
But wait, they only saw him because of their spikes! Maybe it's because the mist is a gaseous physical form of Preservation's power, so while there isn't something really there, his attention? conciousness? attracts the mists so you can vaguely see him.

Then again, how was Vin able to show herself to Elend when she was a Shard? Is it because of their connection? Or were other people able to see?

Anywho, answer/comment on the HoA thread.

Preservation could talk into minds if it wanted to. Vin, as such, could show herself to Elend. It just requires Preservation to expend its power.

Ruin, on the other hand, was quite busy. In the prison, his influence was very small, so his Hemalurgic spikes were the most effective means to communicate. At the end of the world, he was busy doing a lot of other things, so Hemalurgy still was the most effective.

I would assume that it would ostensibly be possible for Ruin to communicate to people without spikes, like Preservation. In fact, we know that it's possible Ruin can do so. He was able to convince Zane and Vin's mom to spike themselves.

To gods, it's all a matter of energy. Ruin knew how to utilize his power most efficiently, as he was accustomed to the power. Vin, however, did not, so she brandished far more wildly.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: November 14, 2009, 05:10:52 AM »
Humans, or whatever the race is called, have part of preservation in them which probably makes it easier for Vin to commune with them than it would be for Ati.
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #907 on: November 16, 2009, 01:32:01 AM »
Humans, or whatever the race is called, have part of preservation in them which probably makes it easier for Vin to commune with them than it would be for Ati.

That too.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: November 17, 2009, 12:31:50 AM »
1st book comes out in like the late fall/ early winter of 2011 or something like that
Actually it should come out in 2010, a month or two before Towers of Midnight. Then the 2nd book won't come out until Oct/Nov 2012.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: November 17, 2009, 12:35:12 AM »
Sweet!!!!

PoBabylon

• Level 1
    • View Profile
Hey all, I'm new here, I've been reading through the last 15 or so pages of this topic(sorry, i don't have time to read all 61 pages unfortunately)...

maybe there's a good explanation for this but I've not noticed it. now I have read and know that atium is of Ruin's body, and lerasium is of Preservation's body.. is it just me, or is there a feeling of inconsistency in that Preservation's body grants allomancy(the use of all 16 allomantic metals) where as ruin's body is one of those metals? it seems almost to imply a sense that Preservation has on an elemental level a mastery/control over Ruin??  was there ever an explanation for why their body's when ingested interact with humans in this manner?

side thought: kandra and koloss clearly have metabolisms, if one of them were to somehow get ahold of a bead of lerasium, would they become allomancers aswell if they ate it?

i saw someone ask in one of the later pages why preservation would want vin to kill the lord ruler, i viewed it as, preservation set this huge scheme into motion thousands(millions?) of years ago when he first created humans. he always intended for humans to be the eventual destroyers of Ruin, and when preservation chose Vin as a new vessel, it was all part of the plan to achieve that goal.

in other posts i saw debate over why the lord ruler would stockpile atium and not just burn it right away... from what i had gathered, the lord ruler, while always hoping he'd be able to regain preservation's power through the well, never really expected to and that everything he did was planning so as humanity post-lord ruler could combat Ruin. and this extends to having the kandra stockpile it. having kept the majority of it together and unburnt, it then won't over hundreds of years regen in the pits, this way if he dies, who ever follows him can find it and deal with it as soon as they find it, as opposed to finding out they have to wait hundreds of years for it to return(which would give ruin ample time to dispose of them, or just wait them out till they die and he can go get his body unopposed).

I think Ruin wanted the aitum to destroy Preservation, what could be more important to a god-being modeled after the concept of Ruin than the destroy another god-like being of essentially equal power. but until he had his body back, he was still stalemated. and the lord ruler having the kandra put the aitum inside the huge metal lined vault and then all killing themselves(losing sentience, same dif. in this situation) would leave the aitum virtually unfindable, so Ruin would have destroyed the planet and his own body with it?

and one other question i saw that i don't think was expressly answered, someone asked about how the lord ruler didn't know that the creatures he made were of ruin... but he did, as some stated, keep them from their full potential knowing that ruin might someday take control of them so he kept them all with fail safes(and in the inquisitors, even a death pin)... but even beyond this, the lord ruler not only knew that they were of ruin, but he used that to his advantage. The person that asked about it seemed to completely forget/disregard the point made in the book that he made the Kandra as his spies, but not just spies against his humanly enemies, but as double agents that Ruin would always think were his to control when he needed. Ruin claimed that he told Rashek about Hemalurgy knowing he'd make weapons for him... and this is just speculation, but when if Preservation also whispered in his ear letting him know how he could make the Kandra more than just future tools for Ruin.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
Leras gave up it's "mind" to imprison Ati... so Leras could not have whispered anything into Rashek's ear. We really don't understand Atium... which i'm sure is on purpose. Ruin is stronger than Preservation b/c the creation of man stole part of Leras's power. Being "atuned" to preservation gives man the ability to use allomancy so i doubt kandra and koloos can become allomancers.

PoBabylon

• Level 1
    • View Profile
Leras gave up it's "mind" to imprison Ati... so Leras could not have whispered anything into Rashek's ear. We really don't understand Atium... which i'm sure is on purpose. Ruin is stronger than Preservation b/c the creation of man stole part of Leras's power. Being "atuned" to preservation gives man the ability to use allomancy so i doubt kandra and koloos can become allomancers.

that didn't stop Leras from communicating with Elend.. clearly he didn't give up himself entirely, some small fraction remained, and that fraction finally died when it exposed itself to Elend and answered afew of his questions. at that point it could no longer even speak, but when we turn back the clock a thousand years, maybe Leras could have given the lord ruler the slightest hint. I'm not trying to say this is what had to happen, I'm just saying maybe it could be another subtle little thing that Leras did to ensure his plan worked.

the piece of preservation inside all humans was put there to make them (if i'm remembering it right, which i may very well be entirely wrong) able to be sentient and feel emotions right? both kandra and koloss share those same traits.. but only through the spikes... wait wait, are the power of the spikes Ruin's warped version/opposite to the power of Preservation inside all humans?

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
I believe the explanation for kandra/ koloss souls's is that they are stolen humans souls that have been thoughly twisted and that corruption prevents them from using allomancy (Peter will correct me if i'm wrong). Also it is my understanding that Leras was in the same state we saw him in as the "mist ghost" ever since forming Ati's prison, & when you use the word whisper it makes me think of speach not communication via gestures/ hints.

zas678

• Level 7
  • Job Title: Hoid Desciption: RAFO!
    • View Profile
The way I see it is the Spikes steal the part of Preservation that makes people sentient and sticks it into Kandra. Ruins taint here is balanced with Preservation's sentient gift

Koloss Spikes, however, 'steel' (hehe) human physical strength, and stick it in humans.
Inquisitor Spikes take the Allomancy from humans and stick it in humans.

Now writing it down, I see another correlation.
Kandra spikes- Sentience- Cognitive Realm
Inquisitor spikes- Allomancy/Feurchemy- Spiritual Realm?
Koloss Spikes- Strength- Physical Realm

“It’s a fun tradition.”
“So was witch-burning,” Melody said.  “Unless you were the witch.”