Author Topic: ***SPOILERS Official Hero of Ages Spoilers Thread. Includes Q&A w/Brandon****  (Read 335856 times)

menandore

• Level 2
  • Fell Points: 0
  • My motto: I don't know what I'm doing. YET.
    • View Profile
    • My craft blog:

I still think it would have been smarter to consume the atium as soon as possible. If it takes a couple of hundred years to dribble back to the pits, Ruin can't access most of it anyway. Of course, that does not prevent some noble to stockpile it which may be the reason he did it (although it would be hard for the nobles to stockpile any significant amount as long as TLR control the Pits).

I absolutely agree.  Even if he knew that all the atium was in the Pits, think about how much effort goes in to getting it out.  There's no way Ruin could take possession of his body if it was distributed in little dribbles all through the Pits - unless being in the Pits counts as being "together" enough for him to get his body back.

And as for atium being immensely (monetarily) valuable - really, it was only as valuable as it was because TLR created an artificial shortage.  Think about diamonds in our universe.  True, it's much easier to control the supply of atium, but that doesn't rule out doing the same for other commodities.

Although I suppose having atium freely available would kind of disable the Mistborn - at least in one-on-one fights.  If everyone has atium, well...

menandore

• Level 2
    • View Profile
    • My craft blog:
I'm wondering about TLR and hemalurgy [Hemalurgy: ACUPUNCTURE OF THE DAMNED :P] .  Did he actually not know that it was Ruin's tool?  He'd been fighting Ruin for a thousand years; I don't believe that he wouldn't have figured it out in all that time.  He certainly wasn't ignorant of it (I'm assuming he created or at least approved of the Steel Inquisitors.)

Also, Vin's earring.  Did her mother actually kill her baby sister with it?  Talented woman...

I'm wondering, too, why it didn't decay when out of her body.  Unless her sister was so strong that even decayed, it was still enough for her to find the Well.

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
So look at it this way. TLR created inquisitors as his tool right? He used them as his Gestapo in controlling the Final Empire. Also he never completed them. He held back additional spikes and powers from them to keep them within his control. Just like all the creatures he created, there was a fail safe. I'm assuming that TLR held back the additional spikes because he was wary of Ruin's influence. He was obviously aware that Ruin could still do some things even though he was imprisoned (hence the caches and the notes in steel). By only allowing the inquisitors to have only so much power he made it possible for himself to intercede should Ruin ever gain enough influence to take control of an inquisitor. Pull the lynchpin and the Inq. is done for. You can see the changes in the Inq.s between books two and three. In WoA the Inq.s all had the same pins and the same abilities (undercontrol of TLR). In HoA the Inq.s began to get additional pins making them stronger and more powerful, they also added protective plates to protect weaknesses (under control of Ruin).

As to Vin's earring. I think that her mother used it on Vin's sister during the murder. I'm not sure if it was the murder weapon. That would take talent.
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"

menandore

• Level 2
    • View Profile
    • My craft blog:
Mm, ok, so he judged it an acceptable risk.  I'd believe that.  And the kandra and koloss really didn't turn out so badly despite being made from hemalurgy.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
Re: ***SPOILERS Official Hero of Ages Spoilers Thread. Includes Q&A w/Brandon****
« Reply #874 on: September 01, 2009, 12:27:57 AM »
Also, Vin's earring.  Did her mother actually kill her baby sister with it?  Talented woman...

I'm wondering, too, why it didn't decay when out of her body.  Unless her sister was so strong that even decayed, it was still enough for her to find the Well.

Yes, Vin's mother, at Ruin's pushing, killed Vin's sister, who was a Seeker. Her mother then (I would presume fairly quickly) gave it to Vin as a gift.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

menandore

• Level 2
    • View Profile
    • My craft blog:
Re: ***SPOILERS Official Hero of Ages Spoilers Thread. Includes Q&A w/Brandon****
« Reply #875 on: September 01, 2009, 12:30:12 AM »
Oh yes, I know she killed Vin's sister, but did she kill her with the earring? Inquiring minds want to know.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #876 on: September 01, 2009, 12:51:45 AM »
The earring was certainly involved! But who knows if it was actually the killing blow.

Czanos

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: September 03, 2009, 07:28:25 AM »
Isn't it one of the rules of Hemalurgy that the metal involved has to kill the victim? And be driven through their heart?

Vin's mother was just very precise, I think.
I came because I heard stories, tales of a lengendary man.
A man who was known as the Lord of the Mists, a man they named Survivor.
A man called Hope.

sortitus

• Level 15
  • MVP of the WORLD
    • View Profile
    • I'll kick you in the face!
« Reply #878 on: September 03, 2009, 09:10:58 AM »
She was under the influence of Ruin much more than Vin ever was, so it's entirely possible that Ruin was able to somehow make sure that her sister was stabbed precisely.

Does the spike have to kill the person instantly, just cause their death, or (if it only has to cause it) be in the person when they die?
Hero of Ages: Impressive Regality Over Niceness, Y'all
좋아! This time with more ecstatic! 좋네!!! I'll say it again in french! Trois fois voiture!!! Ça va. C'est vrai. C'est bien.
High Knight of the Grand Pie of the Holy Order of Pie, The Left Hand of Pie

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
« Reply #879 on: September 04, 2009, 11:11:08 AM »
The Hemalurgic spike only needs to pierce the correct spiritual pressure point to steal the information desired. It is not always directly in the heart. I could think of some cases where the victim might live. Though, I also wouldn't be surprised if all of those "spiritual pressure points" were in deadly points, knowing Ruin and his desire for destruction.

pirsquared

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: September 05, 2009, 05:12:07 AM »
I think that hemalurgic spikes can only take the power if the person dies.  Otherwise, it would not be the power of Ruin.  The hemalurgic spike steals the life out the person as they die, and stores it in the spike.  Or at least that's how I think of it.

Czanos

• Level 7
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: September 05, 2009, 05:57:19 AM »
No, the killing spike must kill the victim by piercing their heart to harvest Hemalurgic ability. Every example we have from the books (At least in HoA, pages 16, 131, and 243 in the hardback.) specifically mention the killing spike being driven through the heart or chest. It is only when the spike is used to endow Hemalurgic talent that the bind points come into play.

And in the heading of chapter 73, it says that Vin's Hemalurgic spike was used to kill Vin's sister, thus imbuing it with the added power in Bronze.
I came because I heard stories, tales of a lengendary man.
A man who was known as the Lord of the Mists, a man they named Survivor.
A man called Hope.

awwwesome5

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: September 07, 2009, 03:10:33 AM »
Here's something i never really got
When you pull a metal towards you where does it go? directly to your head, chest, stomach?
'course i also have a lot of shards question but i'm just going to get a RAFO anyway >.>

and
If you are a tineye (just an example) could you take pewter and burn the tin in it? since pewter has tin anyway
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 04:29:47 AM by awwwesome5 »

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: September 07, 2009, 04:44:13 AM »
Czanos you are mistaken Marsh specifically states that the placement of the piercing and its material depend on what ability is being stolen. Though the spike steals the part of preservation that gives Scardiel inhabitants their soul it most likely is deadly in all aspects.
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: September 07, 2009, 06:20:50 AM »
When you pull a metal it goes toward your center of gravity.

An alloy has to be the exact right percentage (assumedly within a small margin of error) for you to use it and get the right effect. Tineyes wouldn't be able to see pewter as a resource at all.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!