Author Topic: ***SPOILERS Official Hero of Ages Spoilers Thread. Includes Q&A w/Brandon****  (Read 335598 times)

happyman

• Level 17
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
OK, I've been thinking, and Ook is definitely right as well.  Having a double dose of one of the main Mistborn skills is pretty major as well.  Like the ability to pierce copperclouds or pull or push twice as hard.

So.  They have double strength on one normal skill, unless they were mistborn, in which case they have double strength on all the normal skills.  They also have feruchemical healing and a few other attributes which the mistborn generally didn't know.  Yeah, they're walking tanks.
Nature hates being reified.

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
who says they only have one spike per power also
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

GrayWesterner

• Level 1
    • View Profile
Many have discussed the idea of the shards and how the literary worlds of Mr. Sanderson are in the same universe.  I pose that they are not in the same universe at all and in actuality, by utilizing quantum theory, occur in multiple/alternate universes/realities.
Quantum theory posits that any time a decision is made (turn left instead of right) that a new reality is formed and there are infinite realities.  I believe that this is the case in Sandersonia (a bad name I know that ecompasses Mr. Sanderson's literary works, at least the ones connected by the Shards of Adonalsium). 

Examples that may support my theory are the uses of Atium, in how it makes a user aware of many/all possible actions from someone and Malatium and how it makes the user aware of alternate reality versions of someone else, one could say glimpsing alternate realities. These God metals seem to breach the realities.  I pose that some of the characters may even just possibly be different versions of the same people on different worlds, but that may be a stretch.  What do you think?

Shard

• Level 8
    • View Profile
Well I'm late to this party but I finally finished HoA!! Unfortnatly it was spoiled for me (Thanks Utopia! /sarcasm) Anyhow the journey to the conclusion of the story was still fun and still very sad. If the main characters have to die that is the way to go, dying for a cause and to make the world a better place. They went out Heroes.

I really do think this Mistborn should be a video game I would love to play an Allomancer on the Wii.

I actually wish there WERE more Fantasy/Modern books, I enjoyed the concept of Shadowrun for instance. There isn't enough of this out there and some of the stuff that is, is very poorly done.
We need the metaphor of Magic and Monsters to understand the Human condition ~Stephan Donaldson.

zas678

• Level 7
  • Job Title: Hoid Desciption: RAFO!
    • View Profile
So I wasn't sure where to put this, so I'll just put it here.
I got a look at the near-final Allomantic table at the Warbreaker Release party, and I have the new Not-cerrobend!

Cerrobend has been replased by Bendalloy!

Also, Brandon Sanderson said that we might get a Ferchemal (sp?) Chart in the future.
“It’s a fun tradition.”
“So was witch-burning,” Melody said.  “Unless you were the witch.”

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
I certainly hope so. I want to know what the Feruchemical powers are (and Hemalurgical powers, for that matter). Thanks for the info, Zas :D
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Raphael

• Level 3
  • I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.
    • View Profile
Hmm...I liked Cerrobend better than Bendalloy. But, whatever goes, goes. :P

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
Unfortunately, Raphael, Cerrobend is a copyrighted name, so Brandon needed something different.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Stu

• Level 2
    • View Profile
It's been a while since I read the Mistborn trilogy, but I was just thinking about this now.  In the first book, Vin kils The Lord Ruler with help from the mists/Preservation.  Why would Preservation help her? The Lord Ruler would have taken the power from the well for himself again, so why would Preservation stop this?  I might be completely confused or mistaken, but it doesn't seem to make sense....

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
It's been a while since I read the Mistborn trilogy, but I was just thinking about this now.  In the first book, Vin kils The Lord Ruler with help from the mists/Preservation.  Why would Preservation help her? The Lord Ruler would have taken the power from the well for himself again, so why would Preservation stop this?  I might be completely confused or mistaken, but it doesn't seem to make sense....

Preservation wasn't thinking very clearly at this point.  It had chosen Vin as the new vessel for its power, and so she had access to the mists.  I suspect that whether this access was good or bad wasn't something Preservation could really control any more.
Nature hates being reified.

Raphael

• Level 3
  • I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.
    • View Profile
Unfortunately, Raphael, Cerrobend is a copyrighted name, so Brandon needed something different.
Ya, I read about it.

Turbolinux999

• Level 3
    • View Profile

Preservation wasn't thinking very clearly at this point.  It had chosen Vin as the new vessel for its power, and so she had access to the mists.  I suspect that whether this access was good or bad wasn't something Preservation could really control any more.

I would say that it's less about keeping  Ruin trapped than having Ruin replaced.  When Vin kills Ati(The consciousness of Ruin) she tells him that it was Preservation's plan all along that a being of Preservation and Ruin would sacrifice itself and destroy both.  The end of the plan(I would assume) is that someone from Terris, with all of their knowledge and slow, methodical ways of thinking would be there to take up both powers.
That would also explain why Preservation specifically gave the Terris their prophecies.  Leras(Consciousness of Preservation) trusted them and their ways to eventually control both powers and save the world.

Shard

• Level 8
    • View Profile
Where did you learn the names of Ruin and Preservation?
We need the metaphor of Magic and Monsters to understand the Human condition ~Stephan Donaldson.

Stu

• Level 2
    • View Profile
Thank you happyman and turbolinux999.  Those answers are perfect.

zas678

• Level 7
  • Job Title: Hoid Desciption: RAFO!
    • View Profile
Brandon Sanderson mentioned the true names of Ruin (Ati, root of Atium), and Preservasion (Leras, the root of Lerasium (the green bead Elend swallowed)) earlier in this thread.
“It’s a fun tradition.”
“So was witch-burning,” Melody said.  “Unless you were the witch.”