Author Topic: ***SPOILERS Official Hero of Ages Spoilers Thread. Includes Q&A w/Brandon****  (Read 335741 times)

pirsquared

• Level 2
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Here are some questions.  I don't think any have been answered, but I'm not entirely sure so just tell me if they have.  I realize I'm getting really technical, but my mind likes to have scientific explanations for everything.

1. The metals Cadmium, NotCerrobend, and Copper all work with a 'bubble' or 'cloud', and Iron, Steel, Zinc, and Brass also work that way in the sense that you can only affect things at a certain range.  Does the cloud have a specific size? Does it get bigger if you flare or use duralumin with the metal?  Or does the cloud have no distinct ending, but just gets less and less powerful the further away you go from the source?
2. What happens if you burn Zinc and Riot happiness and sadness at the same time?
3. What happens if you flare or use duralumin with Gold or Electrum? Does it make the shadows clearer, or does it make you see further into the past or future? Does it do anything at all?  Does it perhaps tell you something else about the shadows, like how likely they are to happen or to have happened?
4. With Duralumin, can you enhance Nicrosil, and vice versa? If so, you could get a chain of people (either Mistborn or Nicrobursts), standing in a line, and then have each one burn Nicrosil while touching the person in front of them. The person in the front would then have EXTREMELY amplified powers to the next metal he/she burned. (The front person would be Mistborn).
5. Since a Mistborn burning Lerasium will enhance his powers, what would happen if a Mistborn or Duralumin Gnat burned duralumin with Lerasium?
6. If Lerasium in alloy creates Mistings, couldn't you get a double-misting by giving someone two different alloys of Lerasium?  Or would the second alloy 'cancel out' the first?
7. Can you alloy Lerasium with Atium?  What would happen?
8. Concerning the two types of mist: Does burning Tin make the Ruin mits more clear, just like it makes the normal ones translucent?  Does using Hemalurgy attract the Ruin mists? Can a person using Hemalurgicly-stolen Tin powers still penetrate the mists?
9. If the Lord Ruler was controlled by Ruin through the Atium Bracers on his arms (which stored age), shouldn't that have shown what Atium's Hemalurgic Power is?
10. How does the Steel Inquisitors' Eyesight work?  Is it just the Allomatic properties of Iron and Steel (the blue lines) or is it a different power granted by Ruin?  It doesn't seem to work in exactly the same way that Ironpulling and Steelpushing lines work.

Eleaneth

• Level 3
    • View Profile
8. Concerning the two types of mist: Does burning Tin make the Ruin mits more clear, just like it makes the normal ones translucent?  Does using Hemalurgy attract the Ruin mists? Can a person using Hemalurgicly-stolen Tin powers still penetrate the mists?
If I understood it right, all of the mists belonged to Preservation. Ruin simply encouraged them slightly so that they would make it difficult to grow crops. So, Hemalurgy always drove the mists away.

9. If the Lord Ruler was controlled by Ruin through the Atium Bracers on his arms (which stored age), shouldn't that have shown what Atium's Hemalurgic Power is?
So far as I know, they weren't actually hemalurgic, since they weren't used to kill someone and steal their powers. However, having metal embedded in his skin still caused the Lord Ruler to be under Ruin's influence. I'm not totally sure about that, though.

10. How does the Steel Inquisitors' Eyesight work?  Is it just the Allomatic properties of Iron and Steel (the blue lines) or is it a different power granted by Ruin?  It doesn't seem to work in exactly the same way that Ironpulling and Steelpushing lines work.
In the first book, Vin blinded a Steel Inquisitor by throwing up a metallic powder. So, I think they have the steel/iron blue lines in much more precision and depth than the average person.
"Yes," Elend said softly. "The law allows for you to change your vote, Lord Habren. You may only do so once, and must do so before the winner is declared. Everyone else has the same opportunity."
-- The Well of Ascension

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile

In the first book, Vin blinded a Steel Inquisitor by throwing up a metallic powder. So, I think they have the steel/iron blue lines in much more precision and depth than the average person.

I think basically every Inquisitor is a Steel/Iron savant. Because their senses are so finely tuned they can see metal in extremely minute amounts, such as iron in the bloodstream. That was why the metallic powder Vin used worked; to the Inquisitor, every single flake of metal had a steel/iron line pointing towards it, where a normal Mistborn would probably perceive it as a single mass. I would imagine that newly created Inquisitors are practically blind because they haven't been using steel or iron for very long.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Patriotic Kaz

• Level 30
  • Antagonist of the Ages
    • View Profile
You see ruins black mist in WoA.
Rioting sadness and happiness would make a "Bitter- Sweet" moment...
Nicrosil and duralumin cannot be used to stack...(Brandon answered that earlier)
We know that inquisitors tin could indeed penetrate the mist
You probably could get a double misting or an amplified mistborn...
The atium in his arms weren't stolen from someone else it was his feruchemey fueled by alomancy
Alloying lerasium with atium would probably make a seer like Yomen...
Inquisitors are probably savants...
"Words are double edged blades. Only the great and the foolish play with knives." - Kaz the Buddah

"Take off your sandals, for you are posting on holy ground." -  Yahweh Kaz

"Chaos, go to your room!" - Momma Kaz

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
4. With Duralumin, can you enhance Nicrosil, and vice versa? If so, you could get a chain of people (either Mistborn or Nicrobursts), standing in a line, and then have each one burn Nicrosil while touching the person in front of them. The person in the front would then have EXTREMELY amplified powers to the next metal he/she burned. (The front person would be Mistborn).
Heh heh. I like this. It would be hard to get the timing right, since when you burn nicrosil it affects the other person right away if they're burning anything. It would be very easy for someone in the chain to burn out their nicrosil before the next person turns theirs on, depending on how instantaneous it is.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
I actually asked Brandon about the Duralumin/Nicrosil thing when he was in Idaho Falls back in November for a signing.

The specific question I asked was hypothetically, if there had been a Nicrosil Misting in the room when Vin tried to take over Marsh, and if the Nicrosil Misting had used their power on her at the exact time when Vin Duralumin-pushed her Soothing of Marsh, would she have broken through Ruin's control. Brandon said no. He said there was no such thing as a double-Duralumin push...It makes me sad, because I think it would be flipping sweet, but oh well.

5. Since a Mistborn burning Lerasium will enhance his powers, what would happen if a Mistborn or Duralumin Gnat burned duralumin with Lerasium?

Mistborn don't burn Larasium. Larasium is burned to create Mistborn. Or alloys of Larasium are burned to create Mistings...

I don't remember the bracers being Atium. They were just stated as being made of "metal."
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 10:08:31 PM by little_wilson »
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

douglas

• Level 8
    • View Profile
I don't remember the bracers being Atium. They were just stated as being made of "metal."
TLR's bracers were specifically atium.  They contained his stores of youth, and that plus his 1000 year age is why their loss was so instantly crippling to him when Vin tore them off with a mist-fueled push (or was it a pull?).  I also specifically remember a mention of them being sold to help finance Elend's new government.

little wilson

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
Yeah, I see that now. I didn't check to make sure that we didn't already know Atium's Hemalurgy ability before I posted. I just assumed since pirsquared was asking that it was one of the unknowns, and since I only have my copy of FE (which only refers to the bracers as "metal"), I couldn't check WoA to make sure, but now that you mention it, I totally remember the selling of the bracers. Don't know how I forgot....oh well.
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

pirsquared

• Level 2
    • View Profile
Lerasium can indeed enhance your current powers, according to the poster at the following website:
http://mistborn.livejournal.com/111534.html
"Pure Lerasium transforms a person into an Allomancer or drastically improves their Allomantic powers."
That doesn't necissarily mean that you could use Duralumin with Lerasium, but it does seem somewhat clear that if a person like Vin whose powers were deluted over generations burned Lerasium, their powers would be improved at least to the point of the original Allomancers.

One other question: I'm somewhat confused with the nature of Cadmium.
Does cadmium make time APPEAR to pass more slowly in a bubble around the user, allowing him to have more time to think about his decisions?  Or does it actually make time pass slower in the bubble, so that a minute inside the bubble is five or six minutes outside of it? (The second possibility is like Einstein's theory of relativity, if you're familiar with it).
NotCerrobend, obviously, does the opposite, making time either appear to zip by really fast or actually making it go faster in reality.

I don't think I explained that very well, so just tell me if you're confused.

little wilson

• Level 29
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
That doesn't necissarily mean that you could use Duralumin with Lerasium, but it does seem somewhat clear that if a person like Vin whose powers were deluted over generations burned Lerasium, their powers would be improved at least to the point of the original Allomancers.

That's pretty much what I meant. It sounded to me like you were meaning Larasium can be used like any other metal, but the way I understand it, it's a one time use. You use it, you get the powers of the original Allomancers, and that's it. Sure, you could use another bead, but it won't do anything more for you.....And if you're a misting, and you eat it, you'll become a Mistborn. What I don't know, but I would be interested to find out, is your question about eating two different alloys of Larasium. Would it make the person a double Misting? That would be cool...

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
Theres all kinds of interesting questions about Lerasium. If you use it you get the strength of the original mistborn. But is that the ceiling? If one of them used it again would they become twice as strong? And the duralumin question is a great one.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Cosmic_AC

• Level 4
    • View Profile
Not sure if this is the right place to put this, but I noticed the description for Copper only says:
Quote from: Table of Allomantic Metals
Burning this metal creates an invisible cloud around the Allomancer which hides all within it from those who are burning Bronze.
Why doesn't it mention the fact that it also shields the Allomancer from Soothing/Rioting?
Also, a minor point of grammar about Pewter:
Burning pewter increases the Allomancer's physical strength, speed, durability, and enhances the body's ability to heal.
I think it should read,
Burning pewter increases the Allomancer's physical strength, speed, and durability, and enhances the body's ability to heal.

Also, I must have blinked and missed it, but why is everyone calling Cerrobend "Not-Cerrobend"?

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
Also, I must have blinked and missed it, but why is everyone calling Cerrobend "Not-Cerrobend"?

Because after Brandon unveiled that poster version, it was discovered that the name "Cerrobend" was copyrighted, so he needs to find another name for that metal. Since we don't know what that name is yet, it is currently just called Not-Cerrobend.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

melbatoast

• Level 6
    • View Profile
    • My Shelfari Page
I'd give it a week before the entirety of the world would be blithering slaves bowing at his feet. lol.

Not only that, but the look of the world would be entirely different....I mean, Breeze definitely has style. Therefore, the world would probably be red...Maybe.

Enter Breeze:

Quote from: Breeze
And all the plants should be red.  Except the roses.   Don't paint the roses.

Here's the actual quote from Breeze "Red--you'd always be thinking, 'Why, look at that. That hill is red. That evil force of doom trying to destroy me certainly has style.' "
"She is too fond of books, and it has addled her brain." - Louisa May Alcott

Eleaneth

• Level 3
    • View Profile
So, I wanted to speculate a bit about the future of the Mistborn world.

First of all, the Kandra and Marsh will both be under Sazed's influence just like they used to be under Ruin's. Considering Sazed's character, I imagine that he'd let them have free will but have enhanced ability to communicate with them. I'm imagining a temple to Sazed/Adonalsium made by the Kandra under Sazed's influence. He might ban all metal from the temple, so that he can see everything in it clearly. I'm imagining Marsh as doing what he wants unless Sazed has an errand for him, in which case Marsh could understand what Sazed wants better than anyone else.

I'm also imagining the kandra taking the role of priests. Occasionally, Sazed might give them permission to receive extra Blessings (from a dead kandra or from someone who was executed lawfully or something like that). A kandra with extra Blessings would be more powerful and more in-tune with Sazed's speaking to them.

It would also be a very challenging world for non-Mistings.

You also might find people trying to develop a breeding program that would reintroduce Mistborn.
"Yes," Elend said softly. "The law allows for you to change your vote, Lord Habren. You may only do so once, and must do so before the winner is declared. Everyone else has the same opportunity."
-- The Well of Ascension