Author Topic: ***SPOILERS Official Hero of Ages Spoilers Thread. Includes Q&A w/Brandon****  (Read 335689 times)

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
Re: ***SPOILERS Official Hero of Ages Spoilers Thread. Includes Q&A w/Brandon*
« Reply #705 on: January 12, 2009, 09:53:40 PM »
Ahh. Silly American boy: I could have figured that out on my own.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

hoid354

• Level 4
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Wow, all of those names are pretty lame. But thanks for giving us some alternate names  :D.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
The new name of Cerrobend must be the primary reason why the Table of Allomantic Metals poster is taking so long.
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

RedMars11

• Level 2
    • View Profile
Okay, I'm not quite done with the book yet, (Stupid freaking real life and such) but one thing definitely made me laugh in a rather twisted sort of way.  I have to post about it now, as it'll get lost in whatever post I make when I do finish.

Sanderson finally killed Brill.  He wanted to kill the guy in the armies caverns in book one, alpha readers thought it was to cruel for Kelsier to do, so he changed it.  But he finally did it here.  Man, did Sanderson  grow up with a bully named Brill or something?  Oddly enough, I did, so I got some twisted amusement out of the whole situation.

Whoops, an edit because I don't want to double post, yet I want to make a separate post about my feelings on the ending of the book.  Okay, Preservation/Laras was using the Mists to cause Snappings in order to give humans an edge.  It snapped exactly sixteen percent of people, ostensibly 1% per each metal.  But uh.... Atium didn't fit in with the overall table of metals.  It's not one of the sixteen, it's an alloyable god metal outside of the normal rules.  (I was always suspicious of this metal, since it didn't fit in with the periodic table.  Cool to see that nagging annoyance bear some nutty fruit.)  Anyway, what's going on here with this numbers game?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 05:22:51 AM by RedMars11 »

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
  • If that never happened again, it would be too soon
    • View Profile
I would guess that likely there is another metal that replaces atium in the table. We just don't know what it is since all we've ever seen in that area is atium.
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

"Look! I can play Mary had a little lamb on my rape whistle!"

Executor of Chaos' Opinions in the Event of His Absence

RedMars11

• Level 2
    • View Profile
There is something on the somewhat spoiler filled Allomancy metal poster which you can see here:

http://www.brandonsanderson.com/blog/737/Poster-Near-Final-Version

But the problem persists.  Including the god metals there are 18 different ones.  One of which just causes mistborn or mistings, so it doesn't quite count as burnable.  Neither does Atium, since it too is a god metal.  Therefore the mists should have effected 17 or 18 percent of people in order to reveal the Atium misting secret.  In fact, I'm not even sure why there are any Atium mistings in the first place, as it's an oddity in so many ways.

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
    • View Profile
What I think is that Atium DIRECTLY replaces another metal on that table. So it really doesn't count as a metal, like Lerasium doesn't. Those who were atium mistings were really mistings of that other metal, and were therefore able to burn atium. Does that make sense? Tell me if not and I'll try to think of a different way to word it or something...
Sign on wall: "We're doing everything we can to get you to the math lab and get you help."
Random girl: "That explains so much about the way my professors have been teaching..."

RedMars11

• Level 2
    • View Profile
I see what you're saying now.  But bear in mind it's 1 or 16.  You're either a Misting capable of burning a single metal, or a Mistborn capable of all of them.  I doubt that Elend found a group of 258(ish) Mistborn, especially considering Yomen was described to be an Atium misting only.  So the slight oddity of Atium Mistings at all persists, as does the much larger oddity of 16%.

Edit:  (Yeah, I have an editing problem.)  I kind of think that Preservation was causing the numbers based on how people thought there were 16 metals max with Atium being one of them.  But the problems are that most people if not all thought there were fewer metals, and that I thought Preservation set up the Mists to sort of run on autopilot and that Preservation had used up to much of its will/mind/what have you to influence things that directly.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 05:57:34 AM by RedMars11 »

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
    • View Profile
I know. But what I'm saying is that these mistings are only able to burn the metal that atium replaced. For whatever reason, atium is burned in exactly the same way that the other metal is. That's why it's possible.

They're not technically atium mistings. They're just able to burn atium because of the other metal that they can burn. At least, that's my theory. Could be way off base.

It's like they're burning the same metal, except with a different effect (maybe). Atium is essentially the same thing as far as misting burnable-ness (yes I just made that up) goes.

Chaos

• Administrator
  • Level 36
  • Fell Points: 3
  • The Original Hero of Ages
    • View Profile
    • Eric Lake
Andrew's back from the grave!
www.17thshard.com - The Official Brandon Sanderson Fansite.

Oh SNAP, I'm an Allomancer.

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
    • View Profile
Yeah. I talked more about it on the "Just finished Elantris" thread, so I'll try to avoid bogging this one down with it, but I'm back. Happily so. You guys will have to fill me in on anything particularly important I missed in the last 2 months.

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
I saw Brandon at a book signing back in mid-December, and I asked him about the 16 percent deal. He said that Preservation replaced the real External Temporal Metals with Atium and Malatium (at least I'm assuming Malatium, but he didn't mention that specifically. He only said Atium). So not-Cerrobend and Cadmium weren't counted in the 16%. Nicrosil and Chromium, on the other hand, were. So there are Chromium and Nicrosil mistings running around, not knowing that they're mistings.

When he was answering this, I thought he made it pretty clear that Preservation, with the 16%, was just making Mistings. Not Mistborn. I'm not sure about the people who died. I think maybe those who died from the Mists were Mistborn, but as far as I know, Brandon hasn't confirmed or denied this theory. Nor has he confirmed or denied anything regarding the Atium Mistings created by the mists/Preservation. Maybe they are Mistborn. Maybe they can burn Atium alloys. I'm betting not. I'm betting they're simply Atium Mistings, and that's it.
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Andrew the Great

• Level 19
    • View Profile
That's kind of what I was trying to say. But also not. But I've now got a solid idea rather than a vague theory, so....

Sylos

• Level 1
    • View Profile
The atium mistings might have actually been electrum mistings. Ooklaa stated this earlier. One simple idea could be that all mistings can burn thier metal as well as burn thier metal alloyed with Atium or Lerasium. The metal table stated that atium and lerasium enchance the metals they are alloyed with in certain ways. The pits of hathsin might have been producing an electrum atium alloy but the lord ruler never disclosed this.
There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
Oh, I know about the Electrum-Atium alloy idea. I actually think it makes sense, but since Brandon hasn't said anything about this (that we've heard of, since I know he hasn't been back here in a while), I'm running on the idea that the Atium in the book is pure Atium. But I really wouldn't be surprised if it was the Electrum alloy...

That idea about an enhancement is a possibility, and it would be pretty cool. But then that would make it so Mistings could burn two metals. Yeah, the God metals function differently, but....I don't know. I just don't see that being the case. I also think that as cool as it would be for an Atium misting to be able to burn all Atium alloys, I doubt that's the case either. I think that when the book says you either get one metal or you get them all (in relation to Misting and Mistborn) it's right. Even if the metal is Atium.
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."