Author Topic: ***SPOILERS Official Hero of Ages Spoilers Thread. Includes Q&A w/Brandon****  (Read 335858 times)

happyman

• Level 17
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: ***SPOILERS Official Hero of Ages Spoilers Thread. Includes Q&A w/Brandon****
« Reply #660 on: December 31, 2008, 06:27:41 AM »
2.  Going along with that, I'm surprised that after Vin destroyed herself along with Ruin that he didn't immediately suicide the instant that he regained full control over himself.  So I guess the question is: did he regain full control after Ruin died?  If he did, why didn't he immediately kill himself, as that seems to have been his fondest wish for about the past two years?

I don't know the answers, but here are some ideas:

1) He actually felt Ruin die.  We see earlier that he can see into Ruin's mind.  When Ruin died, maybe he actually knew what happened.  Without the potential to be controlled, maybe he didn't feel the need to kill himself.

2) He went unconscious when Ruin died.  By the time he came to, it was all over and Sazed was able to explain the new situation to him.
Nature hates being reified.

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
Re: ***SPOILERS Official Hero of Ages Spoilers Thread. Includes Q&A w/Brandon****
« Reply #661 on: December 31, 2008, 10:46:00 PM »
If there are questions Brandon hasn't answered in some fashion or another in this thread (RAFO counts as a valid answer :P), feel free to send me a list of them, and I'll get them to Brandon.

I've just done this and e-mailed it to Brenna, so I thought I'd mention it here so that no one else starts wasting their time doing the same thing.   :)
He ate my horse.

Wielder

• Level 6
  • Rest in Pieces
    • View Profile
2.  Going along with that, I'm surprised that after Vin destroyed herself along with Ruin that he didn't immediately suicide the instant that he regained full control over himself.  So I guess the question is: did he regain full control after Ruin died?  If he did, why didn't he immediately kill himself, as that seems to have been his fondest wish for about the past two years?

I don't know the answers, but here are some ideas:

1) He actually felt Ruin die.  We see earlier that he can see into Ruin's mind.  When Ruin died, maybe he actually knew what happened.  Without the potential to be controlled, maybe he didn't feel the need to kill himself.

2) He went unconscious when Ruin died.  By the time he came to, it was all over and Sazed was able to explain the new situation to him.

Both of those are exactly what I was thinking.  I thought it was along the line of number one, and the moment Sazed took the power, the two could communicate with each other.
One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate...and thus defy the tyrannous stars.
-Legacy of Kain

hoid354

• Level 4
    • View Profile
I had a thought about the two new allomantic metals on the poster, Cadmium and Cerrobend. Would using Cadmium, in essence, allow you to move faster than other people in a similar manner to a Feruchemist who is tapping their Speed? Likewise, would Cerrobend make you move slower than everyone else as time would pass more quickly for you? If I understood this right, it would suck to be a Cerrobend Misting in a battle (although it would be handy to use while waiting for AMoL to come out!)
No, i dont think so, a cerrobent misting would probably move the same speed, but everyone else in the bubble would move slower, enabling the misting to defeat his nearby enemies with ease. Cadmium, however, might allow you to move faster, along with other mistings/allies in the bubble, giving a boost to them as well as yourself. They could be countered by each other, if the bubbles "overlap", making everything in the overlapped space move normally.
And i would use cadmium while waiting for AMoL, i havent read the rest of the books.

to quote Johnny Depp, "Now you're not making any sense at all." Why would cerrobend only make the other people inside the bubble move slower, but not the person burning, while cadmium would affect everyone? It doesn't add up. No offense, but I think my theory makes more sense.

Hmm... good question. I will answer your question with another question: aren't the metals supposed to be beneficial to the user? If so, then why would a metal make you weaker? I suppose, if you want the effects to match, cadmium could make anyone else in the bubble faster, but then how would that be benifical in travel, like pewter, since the allomancer cannot move as fast, and the other people would exit the bubble, or not be able to go as fast as possible. Wow, that was probably zetta confusing (been playing The World Ends With You xd ;D) .

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
Re: ***SPOILERS Official Hero of Ages Spoilers Thread. Includes Q&A w/Brandon*
« Reply #664 on: January 03, 2009, 03:38:47 AM »
Hmm... good question. I will answer your question with another question: aren't the metals supposed to be beneficial to the user? If so, then why would a metal make you weaker? I suppose, if you want the effects to match, cadmium could make anyone else in the bubble faster, but then how would that be benifical in travel, like pewter, since the allomancer cannot move as fast, and the other people would exit the bubble, or not be able to go as fast as possible. Wow, that was probably zetta confusing (been playing The World Ends With You xd ;D) .
Most of the metals do benefit the user, but for some mistings such as aluminum or duralumin there is no effect, either positive or negative, at all.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Brenna

• Level 14
  • Hey! Where'd the world go?
    • View Profile
Just wanted to let everyone know that I sent Brandon the file that Sarah compiled (thanks, Sarah!)  and he says to tell you that he's going to work on answering the questions. Also, he wanted me to thank you all for being so awesome. So,

Thanks for being awesome, everyone! Brandon really appreciates your support. :)

Sylos

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #666 on: January 03, 2009, 08:48:08 AM »
Most of the metals do benefit the user, but for some mistings such as aluminum or duralumin there is no effect, either positive or negative, at all.

Aluminum and duralumin could possibly have a positive effect for Mistborn or even Mistings. When burned they effectively purge all metals from an allomancers body (or a specific metal in the case of duralumin). This might also be able to clean out a poisen from the allomancers body. Much like tin can enhance both a persons sense of smell as well as thier sense of vision. 
There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Wielder

• Level 6
  • Rest in Pieces
    • View Profile
Just wanted to let everyone know that I sent Brandon the file that Sarah compiled (thanks, Sarah!)  and he says to tell you that he's going to work on answering the questions. Also, he wanted me to thank you all for being so awesome. So,

Thanks for being awesome, everyone! Brandon really appreciates your support. :)

Huzzah!  *patiently waits*
One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate...and thus defy the tyrannous stars.
-Legacy of Kain

Lesser Taveren

• Level 1
    • View Profile
first time posting, so be gentle.

i have a few questions, that I couldn't easily find answers to on the forum, so here goes:

1) If metals were blinding to Ruin, and he couldn't read words scratched into steel, how could he alter the prophesies/knowledge contained in the Worldbringers/Keepers metalminds? Could he only alter the earring metalminds, since they pierced the body?

2) If my memory serves me, at the end of MB2, Vin sees that Zane's arms are covered with scars similar to Kelsier's, suggesting that Zane had spent time working the Pits. I never saw an expanation for why this would be. Did Straff use the Pits as a way to Snap his (illegitimate) children?

3) With Ruin destroyed, Marsh's puppeteer was gone. However, i like to think that he wouldn't feel the need to commit suicide anymore. Brandon hinted that he lives on and may reappear in future MB books. But, if God Sazed cured all genetic ailments, repaired Spook's body, and healed Cett's legs, why didn't he return Marsh to human (pre-Inquisitor) form as reward for the key role he played, and as a relief from his torment?

(Side note: I also appreciated the cleverness, or perhaps irony, of the title "Worldbringer." As the HoA and sole surviving Keeper, Sazed did indeed end up bringing the new world into being.)

I had many more questions, but thankfully EUOL and other forum members answered them (or at least blocked them with RAFO's). I look forward to reading Brandon's other works, as I'm sure to enjoy them, but also because I'm dying to understand all those posts mentioning Shards and Hoid appearing throughout his writings.

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: January 03, 2009, 09:32:25 PM »
I don't know about 1 and 3, but Vin only thought that Zane had spent time in the Pits. Actually the scars were from repeatedly cutting himself across the arms, supposedly to help quiet Ruin's voice in his head.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

Czanos

• Level 7
    • View Profile

Aluminum and duralumin could possibly have a positive effect for Mistborn or even Mistings. When burned they effectively purge all metals from an allomancers body (or a specific metal in the case of duralumin). This might also be able to clean out a poisen from the allomancers body. Much like tin can enhance both a persons sense of smell as well as thier sense of vision. 

The major benefit to Aluminum and Duralumin I see is the Feruchemical advantages. If one were one of the Feruchemical/Allomantic "Mistings" being able to burn Aluminum or Duralumin would give you a great advantage. (Though I still mildly wonder if Aluminum would give a positive or negative Feruchemical charge. Logically it's positive, as the metals are still burned, but the effects are Pulled away, so . . . )

The only thing funner, in my opinion, is being a Nicrosil/Chromium misting, and being able to spontaneously burn away someone else's Feruchemical charges.

I had a thought about the two new allomantic metals on the poster, Cadmium and Cerrobend. Would using Cadmium, in essence, allow you to move faster than other people in a similar manner to a Feruchemist who is tapping their Speed? Likewise, would Cerrobend make you move slower than everyone else as time would pass more quickly for you? If I understood this right, it would suck to be a Cerrobend Misting in a battle (although it would be handy to use while waiting for AMoL to come out!)
No, i dont think so, a cerrobent misting would probably move the same speed, but everyone else in the bubble would move slower, enabling the misting to defeat his nearby enemies with ease. Cadmium, however, might allow you to move faster, along with other mistings/allies in the bubble, giving a boost to them as well as yourself. They could be countered by each other, if the bubbles "overlap", making everything in the overlapped space move normally.
And i would use cadmium while waiting for AMoL, i havent read the rest of the books.

to quote Johnny Depp, "Now you're not making any sense at all." Why would cerrobend only make the other people inside the bubble move slower, but not the person burning, while cadmium would affect everyone? It doesn't add up. No offense, but I think my theory makes more sense.

As for Cadmium and not-Cerrobend,  (Cerrobend is Trademarked.) While at first a Slider would seem more beneficial, (Extra time FTW.) the true beauty I see of a Pulser is in the teamwork. If you're a Pulser, all you have to do is get in the midst of something, slow time, and watch as your "super-fast" friends take care of anything in your bubble. Or, if the abilities compound, two Pulsers could create a pocket of super-slow time, allowing for all sorts of mischief.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 06:11:14 AM by Czanos »
I came because I heard stories, tales of a lengendary man.
A man who was known as the Lord of the Mists, a man they named Survivor.
A man called Hope.

israfel070

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: January 04, 2009, 10:38:42 AM »
Mr. Sanderson, if you're truly interested in seeing Mistborn made into a movie, I'd suggest tracking down people who were involved with the production of The Chronicles of Riddick, which has a number of striking similarities to Mistborn. The main protagonists are an outlaw who is mentoring a young woman who has to overcome feelings of betrayal. There is prophecy concerning a warrior who will defeat an evil empire. There are some similar settings, including one scene in which a planet experiences ashfall. The villain is a god-emperor who has a power nearly identical to atium. There are a few aristocrats who come to doubt his religion and lend their aid to his downfall. There are a few interesting landscape shots of mists that caught my eye when I recently rewatched the film after finishing your trilogy.

I think you could at least sell your film rights to this wonderful story if you set an agent to the task. If you made a great pitch to David Twohy, the writer-director of the Riddick movies, who knows what might happen? Check out the movie and see what you think!
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0296572/

Also, I'd love to play a Mistborn video game too! I think it lends itself well to that medium.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 09:14:37 PM by israfel070 »

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Brandon's not interested in optioning movie rights to anyone he doesn't believe is self-motivated and capable of making the movie. With the Alcatraz option, the producer read the advanced reader copy of the book and liked it. He put out option feelers to Brandon. Then the producer started working with Dreamworks Animation and pitched it to them there. Then they went to option it with Brandon's agent.

So first he showed the self-motivation, and then he showed the capability. If Brandon were to approach someone himself and try to pitch it, that person wouldn't be personally motivated.

Brandon is a novel writer. Turning a book into a movie takes a lot of effort, someone to champion it. Brandon doesn't have time to direct effort into something like that. If a movie is going to get made well, someone else who really loves it and wants to do it is going to have to come to him.
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

CSmythe

• Level 3
    • View Profile
I haven't read through all of these posts, or even most of them since it is 45 pages long but I needed to post this.

I just finished Hero of Ages and needed to say thank you. Thank you Mr. Sanderson for an amazing end to an amazing series. It would have been so easy for the ending to fall short of the greatness of this series but it managed to elevate the entire experience. And so thank you.

Ok, enough fanboy gushing, time to go back and read the rest of this thread.

Capulus

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: January 07, 2009, 03:49:05 AM »
Dont know if anyone mentioned this at all or not, but reading about the time manipulation bubbles, im surprised there hasnt been any sort of consideration to perhaps space manipulation? Perhaps a pairing of metals, one that can take you a certain distance in space, another which can bring certain objects to you (with interesting elements such as metal anchors preventing objects from moving and such). Another potential for metals which i initially thought could be the "two missing" metals would be ones which allow you to either simulate the metals being burned by those around you, or prevent those around you from using the effects of the metals they are burning (peter and the haitian from heroes anyone?). If these sort of mistings were around, specifically the one who could simulate the metals of others around him, it would allow a sort or "mistborn" to exist in the future world where only mistings seem to remain. Thoughts anyone?