Author Topic: ***SPOILERS Official Hero of Ages Spoilers Thread. Includes Q&A w/Brandon****  (Read 362324 times)

Raphael

• Level 3
  • Fell Points: 0
  • I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.
    • View Profile
Re: ***SPOILERS Official Hero of Ages Spoilers Thread. Includes Q&A w/Brandon*
« Reply #585 on: December 13, 2008, 03:31:00 AM »
I wouldn't think so. HOA said as much, in one of the chapters.

Wielder

• Level 6
  • Rest in Pieces
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: December 13, 2008, 03:33:04 AM »
I wouldn't think so. HOA said as much, in one of the chapters.

Mistborn Chapter Twenty-Three Annotation
One interesting aspect of the book that I haven't mentioned yet comes with the metal of tin. Originally, tin wasn't one of the Allomantic metals--I used silver instead. You see, I originally paired silver and pewter together, thinking that pewter had a significant amount of silver in it. Well, turns out that isn't the case. (Remember, each set of paired metals is a metal and an alloy made from it.)

My false impression on the belief that pewter is a silver/lead alloy goes back to my childhood. I remember when I used to paint lead fantasy figures that I bought at the local hobby store. One of the employees told me that they would be going up in price because the manufacturers wanted the figures to be safer. They were going to cast them out of pewter instead of lead, because pewter is much less toxic. I asked what the difference between pewter and lead was, and the employee told me that pewter is has lead PLUS silver, and that's why the figures cost more.

He meant tin, I guess. Either way, that's stayed with me for quite a long time. I soundly resisted changing silver to tin during the first drafts of the book, even when I found out the truth. The problem is, I really liked the name "Silvereye" for those who burn silver/tin. It sounds far slicker than "Tineye."

I eventually came around, however. Consistency in the magic system is more important than a single cool-sounding name. I blame Hobby Town in Lincoln Nebraska for my pains.

Unless Brandon made a big mistake (something I very much doubt), then I don't think so.
One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate...and thus defy the tyrannous stars.
-Legacy of Kain

Raphael

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: December 13, 2008, 03:39:45 AM »
Could you make the question a bit clearer? I'm all confuzzled today.

zas678

• Level 7
  • Job Title: Hoid Desciption: RAFO!
    • View Profile
Re: ***SPOILERS Official Hero of Ages Spoilers Thread. Includes Q&A w/Brandon****
« Reply #588 on: December 13, 2008, 04:04:30 AM »
Raphael-
I think that time would go faster. It might be like steel, where when you flare, you can't see more lines, you can just push on it harder.

We finally know the last metals! http://www.brandonsanderson.com/graphics/mb_table_v13.jpg

Cadmium and Cerrobend.

Cadmium (Pulser) slightly 'pulls' on time in a bubble around the Allomancer stretching it and making it pass more slowly

Cerrobend (Slider) slightly 'pushes' time in a bubble around the Allomancer, compressing it, and making it pass more quickly.

But I think bubble of time is an interesting choice of words....

I glanced back at Bastille and Kaz. They were still frozen, as if time wasn't moving for them.

The bubble of strange time-shift still continued to be in force, however, so the Lens hadn't been behind that.

"Time moves differently in there," I said, looking back at the sarcophagus. It seemed unchanged, the dust hanging in the air, the lamps extinguished.

I think stepping into that circle takes you back in time to the moment he died," I said. Something like that. I'm not exactly sure

Alcatraz and  the Scrivener's bones pg 225

For those that haven't read Alcatraz, what probably really happened is that the dead guy in the bubble of time broke time, so his body stays preserved.... even after over 2000 years. The text mentions that the Egyptians tried to copy him by using mummies.

Stupid mummies

BUT getting to my point,

I think that maybe a Duralumin/Nicrosil enhanced Slider (time-slower downer) might be able to do that....

Zas

« Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 04:10:22 AM by Zas678 »
“It’s a fun tradition.”
“So was witch-burning,” Melody said.  “Unless you were the witch.”

Raphael

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: December 13, 2008, 04:11:29 AM »
Cool!
Now, onto Atium alloys.....

Publius

• Level 4
    • View Profile
Re: ***SPOILERS Official Hero of Ages Spoilers Thread. Includes Q&A w/Brandon****
« Reply #590 on: December 13, 2008, 06:10:09 AM »
I read about half the posts and skimmed the other half and didn't see anyone ask these questions.

1)  What happened to Kelsiers bones?  Tensoon ate a horse, dumped Sazed off at the home land and took off with Kelsiers bones, so what happened to them??

2)  When Spook had the Hemalurgy Spike was Kelsier ever talking to him or was it always Ruin?  Because some of the conversations sounded like Ruin and others sounded like Kelsier.

3) Why did Kelsier decide to talk solely to Spook?  Was he Mares baby brother or something??

4)  Is Marsh still an inquisitor?  I would think that after Kelsier requested that Spook become a Mistborn that he would say something about his brother.

5) At the end of the book  Sazed, who is the Hero of Ages, was taking advice from Kelsier, so is Kelsier a god?

I just finished reading Hero of Ages today and these were a couple questions that I had.  If you couldn't tell by my questions Kelsier was by far my favorite character in this series.  Actually he is my favorite character in the genre.  I hope he gets more screen time in future books.  These were great books, can't wait to read more!
Man is not free unless government is limited ~ Ronald Reagan

Raphael

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: December 13, 2008, 06:15:08 AM »
Kelsier's dead. Sazed is somehow able to connect with him from the world of the dead, and talk to him.
Marsh is still an Inquisitor.
If I remember correctly, 2 times Kelsier spoke to Spook.
Aaaand....the other, I know not of.

Raphael

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: December 13, 2008, 05:11:53 PM »
Yomen said that silver is one of those metals that allomancers didn't really like, or something along those lines, as Vin was surrounded by silver when she was a captive. I think.

Wielder

• Level 6
  • Rest in Pieces
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: December 13, 2008, 06:03:45 PM »
Yomen said that silver is one of those metals that allomancers didn't really like, or something along those lines, as Vin was surrounded by silver when she was a captive. I think.

Well, of course.  That's because it's useless...or deadly.
One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate...and thus defy the tyrannous stars.
-Legacy of Kain

hoid354

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: December 13, 2008, 06:39:38 PM »

He he... I wonder how many mistborn died testing new metals/alloys.

Anyway, thanks for the pic of the metals table Raphael (now i can finally recreate my own  ;))

Stu

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: December 13, 2008, 08:44:28 PM »
dont know if this has been asked yet, there are too many pages for me to read through, but Sazed mentions that Human played another role, one less significant than displaying how to make koloss, but one none the less. 
#1 I was just wondering what that was. 
And if that answer can't be given, was it in the book?
#2 Are the elantris world and the mistborn world on the same planet?
#3. Did Zane and Kelsier have the same hemalurgic spike, if Kelsier did in fact have a spike?
#4. Just concerning the metals presented on the poster, would the time "bubble") affect the allomancer burner the metal, or just everyone/thing else?
#5. Was Kelsier's trainer a real person or was it just an illusion created by Ruin(if Kelsier had a hemalurgis spike) so that Ruin was able to train Kelsier?

Raphael

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: December 13, 2008, 11:13:41 PM »

Then what's your question? :P

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: December 13, 2008, 11:21:28 PM »
#2 Are the elantris world and the mistborn world on the same planet?
No. The elantris world is called Opelon and the Mistborn world is called Scadriel.
#3. Did Zane and Kelsier have the same hemalurgic spike, if Kelsier did in fact have a spike?
Kelsier did not have a hemalurgic spike. In addition, Sazed suggests that Zael may have spiked himself.
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!

CthulhuKefka

• Level 15
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #598 on: December 13, 2008, 11:23:57 PM »
Now the real question. Are Opelon and Mistborn in the same universe? Literally speaking, of course. How far away are the planets from eachother. That interests me greatly.

Reaves

• Level 23
  • Fell Points: 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: December 13, 2008, 11:25:19 PM »
Now the real question. Are Opelon and Mistborn in the same universe? Literally speaking, of course. How far away are the planets from eachother. That interests me greatly.

What's the alternative? A different dimension?
Quote from: VegasDev
RJF: "AHA! You fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is never get involved in a land war in Cairhien, but only slightly less well-known is this: never go in against a warder when he is only the distraction! Get him Rand! Buzzzzzzz!