Author Topic: ***SPOILERS Official Hero of Ages Spoilers Thread. Includes Q&A w/Brandon****  (Read 335744 times)

Wielder

• Level 6
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Rest in Pieces
    • View Profile
Re: ***SPOILERS Official Hero of Ages Spoilers Thread. Includes Q&A w/Brandon****
« Reply #570 on: December 10, 2008, 12:06:52 AM »
Balance may be the real reason, but the using-different-senses thing makes a good excuse. :)

I would guess something along these lines as well.

I always wondered about how crazy those two metals were...this makes a little more sense. 
One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate...and thus defy the tyrannous stars.
-Legacy of Kain

hoid354

• Level 4
    • View Profile
Re: ***SPOILERS Official Hero of Ages Spoilers Thread. Includes Q&A w/Brandon****
« Reply #571 on: December 10, 2008, 03:57:46 AM »
Not to open old wounds, but the Earth doesnt have a perfectly straight axis. Scadrial could be tilted on its axis and still have normal solar and lunar cycles (seasons, days & nights, etc.). Rashek also could have tilted/moved the planet so that the sun burned away the mist (as it says in one of the epigraphs), and then made it so there was a planetary bulge (or some other geographical or astronomical anomaly) to make there be days and nights that were somewhat normal.

I'm also pretty sure the kandra do have two spikes, of either iron (potency), tin (awareness), zinc (stability) or copper (presence). That being said, if the Lord Ruler used two spikes of different metals, he could have had kandra hybrids, or maybe even kandra mistings/mistborn (heh, they would literally be born in and of the mist  ;D).

I also have some questions: 1:If mistborn granted powers from lerasium can control koloss/hemalurgically spiked creatures without duralumin, than why did Elend need to use it?
2:And couldnt Sazed, being partly of Preservation, create more Lerasium when the allomancy bloodlines grew weak? 

Dount Cooku

• Level 4
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: December 10, 2008, 06:10:23 PM »
I also have some questions: 1:If mistborn granted powers from lerasium can control koloss/hemalurgically spiked creatures without duralumin, than why did Elend need to use it?

Good question.  I'm guessing that Elend needed duralumin because of Ruin's influence on the hemalurgical creatures.  If Ruin were still imprisoned, he would be able to control them without duralumin.

little wilson

• Level 29
  • Hero of Ages: Preservation
    • View Profile
    • My Myspace
« Reply #573 on: December 10, 2008, 06:46:21 PM »
That's a good point. I remember Brandon saying that that's why Vin couldn't take control of Marsh. Ruin's influence was too strong. But, hypothetically, if someone in a later trilogy tried to take control of him, they'd succeed because Ruin wouldn't be controlling him...
"You either die a hero or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain."

Archanon

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: December 10, 2008, 09:47:49 PM »
Well, after reading through this entire thread (and getting six questions raised in my mind for every one answered... The mere idea that all of Brandon's works are entwined by the Shards is mindblowing through sheer awesome epicness), then signing up for the forums, I just had two things to say that no one has mentioned here yet.

First, one of Brandon's earlier posts implies that anyone can burn atium, much like anyone can burn Lerasium. It was something along the lines of "all Obligators who weren't Mistings or Mistborn were given atium and stressed until their bodies burned it." It may, of course, have been a typo, but that would certainly be a twist.

Second, as for the other four Shards: Why has no one mentioned the Iridescent Tones (or whatever their name was), the things that send the Returned back? Lightsong's eventual remembrance of his time on the other side implies that there is an actual sentient power there. Let me get the quote.
   The God King in prison.  Lightsong had seen that too.  But above it all, he remembered standing on the other side of a brilliant, colorful wave of light, looking down at the world from the other side.  And seeing everything he loved dissolve into the destruction of war.  A war greater than any the world had known, a war more deadly--even--than the Manywar.
   He remembered the other side.  And he remembered a voice, calm and comforting, offering him an opportunity.
   To Return.
I would be surprised if it turns out it isn't a Shard, actually.

zas678

• Level 7
  • Job Title: Hoid Desciption: RAFO!
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: December 11, 2008, 01:05:40 AM »
First, one of Brandon's earlier posts implies that anyone can burn atium, much like anyone can burn Lerasium. It was something along the lines of "all Obligators who weren't Mistings or Mistborn were given atium and stressed until their bodies burned it." It may, of course, have been a typo, but that would certainly be a twist.

Second, as for the other four Shards: Why has no one mentioned the Iridescent Tones (or whatever their name was), the things that send the Returned back? Lightsong's eventual remembrance of his time on the other side implies that there is an actual sentient power there. Let me get the quote.
   The God King in prison.  Lightsong had seen that too.  But above it all, he remembered standing on the other side of a brilliant, colorful wave of light, looking down at the world from the other side.  And seeing everything he loved dissolve into the destruction of war.  A war greater than any the world had known, a war more deadly--even--than the Manywar.
   He remembered the other side.  And he remembered a voice, calm and comforting, offering him an opportunity.
   To Return.
I would be surprised if it turns out it isn't a Shard, actually.
Archanon, that same idea of atium crossed my mind, but my understanding of Atium is that The Lord Ruler replaced silver from the allomantic table with atium when he had the power of Preservation.  In other words, atium was changed from a everyone metal to a only-Seer's/mistborn metal.

Otherwise all of the aristocrats would've burned atium when the Steel Inquisitors "spiked" (tee hee) their drinks.

Since Sazed now holds Preservation's power, I would expect that he could change it back, thus making silver a useful metal, and atium a metal all could burn. (especially since he probably won't give his body away)

Also, about the day length, Sazed mentioned a people called the Nelazan...

"I think I have the perfect religion for you," Sazed said, his normally stoic face revealing a glimmer of eagerness. "It is called 'Trelagism,' after the god Trell. Trell was worshiped by a group known as the Nelazan, a people who lived far to the north. In their land, the day and night cycle was very odd. During some months of the year, it was dark for most of the day. During the summer however, it only grew dark for a few hours at a time."
Final Empire, hardback, pg 156

This shows that days in Luthadal are somewhat normal, because Saxed finds it strange to have long days and short nights. This means that Luthadal is pretty far away from the north pole.

Zas
“It’s a fun tradition.”
“So was witch-burning,” Melody said.  “Unless you were the witch.”

SarahG

• Level 13
    • View Profile
Re: ***SPOLIERS Official Hero of Ages Spoilers Thread. Includes Q&A w/Brandon****
« Reply #576 on: December 11, 2008, 04:59:56 PM »
Also, about the day length, Sazed mentioned a people called the Nelazan...

"I think I have the perfect religion for you," Sazed said, his normally stoic face revealing a glimmer of eagerness. "It is called 'Trelagism,' after the god Trell. Trell was worshiped by a group known as the Nelazan, a people who lived far to the north. In their land, the day and night cycle was very odd. During some months of the year, it was dark for most of the day. During the summer however, it only grew dark for a few hours at a time."
Final Empire, hardback, pg 156

This shows that days in Luthadal are somewhat normal, because Saxed finds it strange to have long days and short nights. This means that Luthadal is pretty far away from the north pole.

Good find, Zas!  I would go a little farther and say it seems to indicate that even "the far north," where the Nelazan people lived, was not actually within the equivalent of our Arctic circle.  After all, they did have at least a few hours of day during the winter and a few hours of night during the summer.  In Earth terms, this sounds like about the latitude of Sweden.  This, to me, would indicate that Luthadel itself (and other climates Sazed considers normal) is even further from the axial pole - perhaps the latitude of Italy or so.

But we know that's not actually true, because of this quote:

2. There is life on the other pole.  I will RAFO any other questions about it, though.  

3.  A compass would work, but remember that the Final Empire is set at the north pole of Scadrial, but not necessarily at the magnetic north pole.  These things are complicated, but just assume that it works the same way it would here on Earth.

I don't know how this all works together, unless he's talking about some kind of north pole that's neither magnetic nor axial.  Maybe it's the Winnie-the-Pooh variety, simply a large stick in the ground.   :)
He ate my horse.

Shadowkiller

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: December 11, 2008, 06:54:08 PM »
Well it is possible that its on the axial north pole and that the planet is tilted slightly and that it also has a wobble.   With Earth, the axial tilt always points one way relative to a stationary observer somewhere in our solar system.   If that tilt wobbled, it could mean the north side always points towards the sun or slightly away or anything to provide any of the necessary requirements to fulfill the observed day in the world and still have Luthadel on the north axial pole.   It could even have a daily wobble that could cause day and night for Luthadel.   Of course it would be cause very strange days outside of Luthadel considering you'd still have to have the planet spinning around a separate axis from the wobble.

hoid354

• Level 4
    • View Profile
Re: ***SPOILERS Official Hero of Ages Spoilers Thread. Includes Q&A w/Brandon*
« Reply #578 on: December 12, 2008, 03:32:33 PM »
Here's a bigger cover picture:

http://www.thescifibookstore.com/fantasy_16209_0765356147_The-Hero-of-Ages-Book-Three-of-Mistborn.html

Ruggedly handsome? (I can't tell. I'm a guy.)

I like the black/white contrast, though it might have been more impressive with Vin in her black ball gown.

Yeah, I think the ball scene with the color contrast would have been more impressive.

I'm wondering what Brandon meant by that scene.  With preservation=white and ruin=black, and with the two powers only being whole when they work together, I imagine you could go in some fairly creative directions trying to interpret it.  Some of them might actually be coherent, although I've read enough literary criticism to not trust it.  It just seems too obvious to say that Vin destroyed the old Empire and Elend salvaged something out of them to create a better world, thus providing an extended analogy for the whole series...

But I really don't trust a lot of literary criticism.  I think I'll stop here.

Antithesis is fun.  ;D 

By the way, I like the cover a lot.  The difference in height just popped out the second I saw it. 

that is most definitly not how i pictured elend would look. infact....has anyone seen stardust? The actor who played Tristran in stardust would make a good elend i think. He can be pretty nerdy, but their is also a hardness to him...

http://images.starpulse.com/pictures/2007/07/30/previews/Charlie%20Cox-DGG-016297.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e68/owl4ever/starmometer4/charlie_cox.jpg

They are before and after pictures of what elend might have looked like before the epic and at the very end.

P.S Stardust (written by Neil Gaiman) is a really good book, and not too bad of a movie.
I personally like the hardback of HoA, where Vin is fighting the Inquisitors. The paperback covers seem... rushed (i only own the FE paperback, but i've seen the pictures for the WoA and that HoA picture). I see what you mean about the whole Ruin=black, Preservation=white thing, but i just think the art looks better on the hardbacks. But thats just my opinion  ;)

Raphael

• Level 3
  • I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: December 13, 2008, 12:16:46 AM »
*cough http://www.brandonsanderson.com/graphics/mb_table_v13.jpg cough* It seems silver isn't on the chart.

Shadowkiller

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: December 13, 2008, 12:31:36 AM »
Count me disappointed for a number of reasons, some of which are contained earlier in the thread.   I guess this makes the Chromium and Nicrosil uses official as its the first time BS actually wrote it out.   Guess there is no more guessing to be done.

Interesting with Cadmium and Cerrobend.   I guess if they effect a "bubble around the allomancer" the Cadmium would make it seem like time outside of the bubble were going faster and Cerrobend would make time outside the bubble seem slower.   It also explains why there was no noticable effect when Elend and Vin were burning "The Mists" because they canceled eachother out.

Raphael

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: December 13, 2008, 12:59:31 AM »
Well, Cadmium can cause cancer. So, I'm wondering if Allomancers will get Cancer due to swallowing the metal.

Qarlin

• Level 8
  • The idiotic cock-eyed flum-dummery!
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: December 13, 2008, 02:20:44 AM »
Research causes cancer.

I wonder if the effects are similar to tapping speed in Feruchemy, or whether it more affects those immediately around you; slowing them down or something.

Raphael

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: December 13, 2008, 02:25:30 AM »
When one flares Cerrobend, does the bubble become larger or the time go faster?

Wielder

• Level 6
  • Rest in Pieces
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: December 13, 2008, 03:27:05 AM »
*cough http://www.brandonsanderson.com/graphics/mb_table_v13.jpg cough* It seems silver isn't on the chart.

Was pure silver a metal you could burn?  I thought it was just part of the alloys...

Brandon, are you guys going to put Seer under Atium and 'BIGSECRET' under Larasium?  (I think the poster looks awesome BTW)
One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate...and thus defy the tyrannous stars.
-Legacy of Kain