Author Topic: ***SPOILERS Official Hero of Ages Spoilers Thread. Includes Q&A w/Brandon****  (Read 335644 times)

Elmandr

• Level 8
  • Fell Points: 0
    • View Profile
Re: ***SPOILERS Official Hero of Ages Spoilers Thread. Includes Q&A w/Brandon*
« Reply #510 on: November 22, 2008, 08:21:50 PM »
Here's a bigger cover picture:

http://www.thescifibookstore.com/fantasy_16209_0765356147_The-Hero-of-Ages-Book-Three-of-Mistborn.html

Ruggedly handsome? (I can't tell. I'm a guy.)

I like the black/white contrast, though it might have been more impressive with Vin in her black ball gown.

Yeah, I think the ball scene with the color contrast would have been more impressive.

I'm wondering what Brandon meant by that scene.  With preservation=white and ruin=black, and with the two powers only being whole when they work together, I imagine you could go in some fairly creative directions trying to interpret it.  Some of them might actually be coherent, although I've read enough literary criticism to not trust it.  It just seems too obvious to say that Vin destroyed the old Empire and Elend salvaged something out of them to create a better world, thus providing an extended analogy for the whole series...

But I really don't trust a lot of literary criticism.  I think I'll stop here.

Antithesis is fun.  ;D 

By the way, I like the cover a lot.  The difference in height just popped out the second I saw it. 

that is most definitly not how i pictured elend would look. infact....has anyone seen stardust? The actor who played Tristran in stardust would make a good elend i think. He can be pretty nerdy, but their is also a hardness to him...

http://images.starpulse.com/pictures/2007/07/30/previews/Charlie%20Cox-DGG-016297.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e68/owl4ever/starmometer4/charlie_cox.jpg

They are before and after pictures of what elend might have looked like before the epic and at the very end.

P.S Stardust (written by Neil Gaiman) is a really good book, and not too bad of a movie.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2008, 08:25:47 PM by Elmandr »
"I love you."
"you dont. You just think you do because i'm all you know."
"Really? So whats this burning sensation i'm having in my stomach?"
"Too much ale."
"Not love?"
"No. But i can see how you confused the two."
"I don't feel good."
"They do that to you."
"my legs, their numb."
"Hahaha!"
"haha!"

Wielder

• Level 6
  • Rest in Pieces
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: November 22, 2008, 10:27:08 PM »
Here's a bigger cover picture:

http://www.thescifibookstore.com/fantasy_16209_0765356147_The-Hero-of-Ages-Book-Three-of-Mistborn.html

Ruggedly handsome? (I can't tell. I'm a guy.)

I like the black/white contrast, though it might have been more impressive with Vin in her black ball gown.

Yeah, I think the ball scene with the color contrast would have been more impressive.

I'm wondering what Brandon meant by that scene.  With preservation=white and ruin=black, and with the two powers only being whole when they work together, I imagine you could go in some fairly creative directions trying to interpret it.  Some of them might actually be coherent, although I've read enough literary criticism to not trust it.  It just seems too obvious to say that Vin destroyed the old Empire and Elend salvaged something out of them to create a better world, thus providing an extended analogy for the whole series...

But I really don't trust a lot of literary criticism.  I think I'll stop here.

Antithesis is fun.  ;D 

By the way, I like the cover a lot.  The difference in height just popped out the second I saw it. 

that is most definitly not how i pictured elend would look. infact....has anyone seen stardust? The actor who played Tristran in stardust would make a good elend i think. He can be pretty nerdy, but their is also a hardness to him...

http://images.starpulse.com/pictures/2007/07/30/previews/Charlie%20Cox-DGG-016297.jpg

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e68/owl4ever/starmometer4/charlie_cox.jpg

They are before and after pictures of what elend might have looked like before the epic and at the very end.

P.S Stardust (written by Neil Gaiman) is a really good book, and not too bad of a movie.

Meh.  I know it wasn't exactly the image that I had in my head, but it's certainly isn't bad.

Oh and yes, I loved Stardust (the movie...I haven't read the book).   It's the new Princess Bride.
One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate...and thus defy the tyrannous stars.
-Legacy of Kain

Mellington the loony Gold Misting

• Level 5
  • Hoid's deranged yet cute stalker
    • View Profile
Re: ***SPOILERS Official Hero of Ages Spoilers Thread. Includes Q&A w/Brandon****
« Reply #512 on: November 23, 2008, 04:31:05 AM »
Stardust...the movie was a bit different from the book in ways you can readily see (the movie seems...simplified is a good word for it).

A lot of my friends have told me that the text-only novel read strangely because the original format is illustrated and that's how it is actually meant to be consumed.

That aside...I never really envisioned Elend looking like the cover art...but it's ok.
In all honesty, I kind of wish we'd gotten more than one proper illustration of non-Vin characters! 

taggart6

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: November 24, 2008, 11:57:24 PM »
Just got done with the 3rd Book and I have to say that I was blown away by the entire trilogy. 

I read a few pages of this thread, and I did have a theory regarding atium.

Does any one else think that the use of atium as a allomanic metal was engineered by Preservation as a way to keep Ruin's body in a constant flux, and that perhaps Preservation "replaced " the original metal with atium?

My guess is that before Ruin's imprisonment, something like silver served the original purpose that atium eventually took over. 

This might help explain why silver currently has no associated abilities, but is still needed in the construction of Electrum.

What do others think?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 12:01:08 AM by taggart6 »

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
Re: ***SPOILERS Official Hero of Ages Spoilers Thread. Includes Q&A w/Brandon****
« Reply #514 on: November 25, 2008, 12:52:29 AM »
taggart, I have that same theory except that I guess that it was Rashek who inserted atium into the set of allomantic metals and displaced the other metal (probably silver).
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

taggart6

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: November 25, 2008, 01:38:33 AM »
taggart, I have that same theory except that I guess that it was Rashek who inserted atium into the set of allomantic metals and displaced the other metal (probably silver).

I've thought of it as well, however I wasn't sure if it was within his limited power to do so.   I'm leaning more towards preservation only because mists were required to create the large number of Seers to burn the Atium.

It could have been a joint effort, with Preservation influcing Rashek shortly after he ascended. 

Hopefully this gets cleared in the next book.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: November 25, 2008, 04:09:13 AM »
If Rashek did it, it would have to have been while he was holding the power.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 04:36:15 AM by Mok Apple Pie »
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

Shadowkiller

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: November 25, 2008, 04:58:55 AM »
Rashek had the power of Preservation for the time he held it.   He could technically do anything Preservation was capable of.   From what I understood, Preservation's mind was busy keeping Ruin's mind under control.   That's why Preservation's power needed a mind to control and use it.   But before Rashek, there was no Atium and no Pits for the Atium to grow as far as I remember.   I am of the opinion that if what believe is true, it had to be Rashek who did it.

CthulhuKefka

• Level 15
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #518 on: November 25, 2008, 05:16:22 AM »
Just got done with the 3rd Book and I have to say that I was blown away by the entire trilogy. 

I read a few pages of this thread, and I did have a theory regarding atium.

Does any one else think that the use of atium as a allomanic metal was engineered by Preservation as a way to keep Ruin's body in a constant flux, and that perhaps Preservation "replaced " the original metal with atium?

My guess is that before Ruin's imprisonment, something like silver served the original purpose that atium eventually took over. 

This might help explain why silver currently has no associated abilities, but is still needed in the construction of Electrum.

What do others think?

Good point about the Silver. I was thinking along similar lines.

taggart6

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: November 25, 2008, 07:09:37 PM »
Rashek had the power of Preservation for the time he held it.   He could technically do anything Preservation was capable of.   From what I understood, Preservation's mind was busy keeping Ruin's mind under control.   That's why Preservation's power needed a mind to control and use it.   But before Rashek, there was no Atium and no Pits for the Atium to grow as far as I remember.   I am of the opinion that if what believe is true, it had to be Rashek who did it.

I'm pretty sure Atium existed before Rashek ascended.   If I recall correctly, it was Preservation that hid Ruins body in the Pits when Ruin was first trapped.   This was to weaken Ruin in order to balance the two since Preservation had become weaker as a result of creating humans and imprisoning Ruin.   Rashek merely became aware about the atium  during the short time he held Preservations power.

Also, it was mentioned many times in the book that the power in the well was only a fraction of Preservation's power since other portions of its power were also located in the mists, humans, and Preservations original body.  If we take this one step further, I think its safe to assume that Vin's ascension was greater the Rashek's,  since she took in Preservation's power located in both the mists, what was released at the well, and waht ever was released when Preservation's body died.  This would also explain why she was able to become one with Ruin since they were evenly matched.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 07:36:41 PM by taggart6 »

taggart6

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: November 25, 2008, 07:41:16 PM »

Correct!

Looking back in the book, it sounds like Preservation was responsible for the original Terris Prophecies.  Perhaps Preservation had planed the entire thing in hopes of having both it and Ruin combined into a single force.  Oh I can;t wait to find out.

Wielder

• Level 6
  • Rest in Pieces
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: November 25, 2008, 11:42:51 PM »

I could see Rashek doing something like this.

You know what I really love about all of this, Keliser's attack on the pits are all the more impressive after book 3.  He was essentially partially destroying a 'god.'
One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate...and thus defy the tyrannous stars.
-Legacy of Kain

Shadowkiller

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: November 26, 2008, 12:52:08 AM »
You know what I really love about all of this, Keliser's attack on the pits are all the more impressive after book 3.  He was essentially partially destroying a 'god.'
Eh, not really considering anyone really could have done it.   What I don't understand, though, is why Ruin needed his body in metal form in order get it back.   By using it it just disappeared into nothingness only to be slowly returned over centuries.   I would have suspected that using it would actually give it back to Ruin in the first place.   Does it mean that technically Ruin and Preservation were not in fact All Powerful and rather only had a finite amount of power that slowly regenerated over time?   Something didn't quite connect for me in that Ruin couldn't find his own body, couldn't keep it from being used and needed it in solid form in order to regain it(not to mention he couldn't apparently get it himself and needed one of his spiked people to grab it for him[Otherwise he'd just collect it from the bags as they were handed out to the Atium Mistings before they could use it]).   If Rashek had never mined it out of the pits, would Ruin have been able to get it at all?   Was it something like the Well's power in that the person had to tap into it and then release it back to Ruin without using it?   I've been quite confused on that subject for a while now.

GreenMonsta

• Level 22
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: November 26, 2008, 01:19:53 AM »
There were some things Ruin could do and some things Preservation could do. Ruin clearly lacked the ability to see metal so Preservation changed his body into a metal not allowing him to find it. Also the use of atium didn't give it back to Ruin it just caused more geodes in the pits. It kind of kept ruins body in a constant flux and never all there at once.
"No signs of anything that could cause even a slight case of death"

"He's a paraplegic whats he gonna do, bite us?"

happyman

• Level 17
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: November 26, 2008, 01:52:01 AM »
Eh, not really considering anyone really could have done it.   What I don't understand, though, is why Ruin needed his body in metal form in order get it back.   By using it it just disappeared into nothingness only to be slowly returned over centuries.   I would have suspected that using it would actually give it back to Ruin in the first place.   Does it mean that technically Ruin and Preservation were not in fact All Powerful and rather only had a finite amount of power that slowly regenerated over time?   Something didn't quite connect for me in that Ruin couldn't find his own body, couldn't keep it from being used and needed it in solid form in order to regain it(not to mention he couldn't apparently get it himself and needed one of his spiked people to grab it for him[Otherwise he'd just collect it from the bags as they were handed out to the Atium Mistings before they could use it]).   If Rashek had never mined it out of the pits, would Ruin have been able to get it at all?   Was it something like the Well's power in that the person had to tap into it and then release it back to Ruin without using it?   I've been quite confused on that subject for a while now.

These are good questions.  In fact, why couldn't Ruin use it when the Kandra had their hands on it, and while Ruin controlled the Kandra?

What, in other words, would Ruin actually need to do to get his body back?

By the way, is it possible that Atium mistings could burn both the "real" temporal metal and Atium?  That somehow the two have been linked?
Nature hates being reified.