Author Topic: ***SPOILERS Official Hero of Ages Spoilers Thread. Includes Q&A w/Brandon****  (Read 335766 times)

Forloc

• Level 2
  • Fell Points: 0
  • Troll Hunter
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Album
Re: ***SPOILERS Official Hero of Ages Spoilers Thread. Includes Q&A w/Brandon*
« Reply #420 on: November 05, 2008, 12:04:30 AM »
It's Mahonri Moriancumer, though leaving out the "e" at the end might make it look even more Jaredite-authentic.

Anyway, Forloc, if you're just asking if Brandon is a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, the answer is yes.

Thanks.  That reaffirms the allegoric (is that the right word?) connections I was making.

My Photo Album
When you argue with forum trolls, they win.

Wielder

• Level 6
  • Rest in Pieces
    • View Profile
Re: ***SPOLIERS Official Hero of Ages Spoilers Thread. Includes Q&A w/Brandon****
« Reply #421 on: November 05, 2008, 01:39:43 AM »
3.  A compass would work, but remember that the Final Empire is set at the north pole of Scadrial, but not necessarily at the magnetic north pole.  These things are complicated, but just assume that it works the same way it would here on Earth.

Hold on there.

If say, Luthadel, is at the north pole (and not necessarily the magnetic one, so they're on top of the axis the planet is turning around) *and* there are seasons on said planet (meaning that the planets axis isn't completely perpendicular to the imaginary line from planet to sun), doesn't that mean that they'll have very long days in summer and very long nights in winter?

Having said that, this would allow for interesting options on how the people on the south pole did survive.

In fact, that's similar to the way things work around here on our little earth. However, a thing as days with 22 hours of sunlight in the summer but 2 hours of sunlight in the winter seems like something that would've been mentioned, so I'm probably wrong here. Thus, either a) there is an inconsistency in the Mistborn world, b) Brandon just never mentioned this in his books or c) the seasons are caused by something other than the non-perpendicularity mentioned above.

c) would be interesting. Maybe the planet goes around the sun in an egg-shape (would make winter longer than summer I guess)? Maybe the sun is hotter on one side?

P.S. I just used the word (?) non-perpendicularity. Please bow before me in awe.

I have a feeling that Rashek spun the world or took care of this somehow to put Luthadel in a much safer position--so, after he changed the world, Luthadel, or the WoA, weren't magnetic north.

That's just my guess.

You didn't get it :P It's not about being magnetic north, it's about being op top of the planet. This top is generally named "north pole".

Sorry lol, I thought what I said sort-of explained that.  To me, it seems that he changed everything, including the 'top of the planet.'  There were still mountains to the north of Luthadel that had snow, I think he just kind of mutated the world.
One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate...and thus defy the tyrannous stars.
-Legacy of Kain

Mellington the loony Gold Misting

• Level 5
  • Hoid's deranged yet cute stalker
    • View Profile
Re: ***SPOLIERS Official Hero of Ages Spoilers Thread. Includes Q&A w/Brandon****
« Reply #422 on: November 05, 2008, 09:37:40 AM »
3.  A compass would work, but remember that the Final Empire is set at the north pole of Scadrial, but not necessarily at the magnetic north pole.  These things are complicated, but just assume that it works the same way it would here on Earth.

Hold on there.

If say, Luthadel, is at the north pole (and not necessarily the magnetic one, so they're on top of the axis the planet is turning around) *and* there are seasons on said planet (meaning that the planets axis isn't completely perpendicular to the imaginary line from planet to sun), doesn't that mean that they'll have very long days in summer and very long nights in winter?

Having said that, this would allow for interesting options on how the people on the south pole did survive.

In fact, that's similar to the way things work around here on our little earth. However, a thing as days with 22 hours of sunlight in the summer but 2 hours of sunlight in the winter seems like something that would've been mentioned, so I'm probably wrong here. Thus, either a) there is an inconsistency in the Mistborn world, b) Brandon just never mentioned this in his books or c) the seasons are caused by something other than the non-perpendicularity mentioned above.

c) would be interesting. Maybe the planet goes around the sun in an egg-shape (would make winter longer than summer I guess)? Maybe the sun is hotter on one side?

P.S. I just used the word (?) non-perpendicularity. Please bow before me in awe.

I have a feeling that Rashek spun the world or took care of this somehow to put Luthadel in a much safer position--so, after he changed the world, Luthadel, or the WoA, weren't magnetic north.

That's just my guess.

You didn't get it :P It's not about being magnetic north, it's about being op top of the planet. This top is generally named "north pole".

Sorry lol, I thought what I said sort-of explained that.  To me, it seems that he changed everything, including the 'top of the planet.'  There were still mountains to the north of Luthadel that had snow, I think he just kind of mutated the world.

I assumed, when Brandon stated that Luthadel was the North Pole...that Scadrial rotated like Uranus (that is, the poles are where most planets have their equator).  Doesn't have to be "mutated" just...unusual.

This means that the planet would appear, in a model, to "roll" like a ball as it spun on its axis and rotate the sun rather than appearing to spin like a wobbly top (as our Earth does).
« Last Edit: November 05, 2008, 09:41:01 AM by Mellington of the raving ferret army »

Dalenthas

• Level 2
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: November 05, 2008, 12:05:21 PM »
If that were the case, then there would never be seasons or night time on Luthadal, just 100% daylight all the time.
Since we know for a fact that night happens eventually...

TMan

• Level 2
    • View Profile
    • Lolchair
Re: ***SPOILERS Official Hero of Ages Spoilers Thread. Includes Q&A w/Brandon****
« Reply #424 on: November 05, 2008, 03:26:44 PM »
I suppose the planet just goes in an elleptical path around the sun. Would make summer shorter than winter, but hey, who notices :P

Btw, I bet that Hoid guy is actually from the 3rd Mistborn trilogy, where he's a misting that can burn one of the real temporal metals which allows time travel  ;D

Miyabi

• Level 45
  • Fell Points: 1
  • Simple is the concept of love as eternity.
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: November 05, 2008, 08:18:51 PM »
Btw, I bet that Hoid guy is actually from the 3rd Mistborn trilogy, where he's a misting that can burn one of the real temporal metals which allows time travel  ;D
Ha ha. That is most definitely the correct answer!
オレは長超猿庁じゃ〜。

darxbane

• Level 17
    • View Profile
Re: ***SPOILERS Official Hero of Ages Spoilers Thread. Includes Q&A w/Brandon****
« Reply #426 on: November 06, 2008, 03:01:59 PM »
Earth's seasons occur because the earth is tilted, so whichever half is tilted away from the sun is colder because the Sun's rays do not hit as directly.  However, in the case of Scadrial, if the planet was straight up and down in relation to the sun, then you would have exactly the same amount of daylight all the time at all locations (like the equator on earth has 12 hours of day and 12 hours of night year round).  In a world like this, the seasons could result from a highly elliptical orbit, where the planet's varying distance from the sun caused the seasonal changes. 
I wanted to write something profound here, but I couldn't think of anything.

Peter Ahlstrom

• Administrator
  • Level 59
  • Fell Points: 2
  • Assistant to Mr. Sanderson
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: November 06, 2008, 06:13:00 PM »
Forloc, I'm also a member, but I don't see any specific allegorical connections. What are you thinking of?
All Saiyuki fans should check out Dazzle! Emotionally wrenching action-adventure and quirky humor! (At least read chapter 6 and tell me if you're not hooked.) Volume 10 out now!

melbatoast

• Level 6
    • View Profile
    • My Shelfari Page
« Reply #428 on: November 06, 2008, 07:17:32 PM »
I think the most obvious Mormon influence is all the food storage! I can't wait for someone to use TLR for an example in Sunday School...
"She is too fond of books, and it has addled her brain." - Louisa May Alcott

Comatose

• Level 19
  • Fell Points: 1
  • A Shard of Adonalsium
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: November 06, 2008, 08:10:58 PM »
OK, this long weekend, I am definately going to sit down and read this entire thread, it's galling me that I don't know what's been said already.
I just find it odd that Marsh never mentions where he taps gold from, and we know that ALL inquisitors have this ability, so do they all have gold spikes for no reason other than to store health in?  And wouldn't they realize the ability it gives them?
Secondly, if Atium isn't really part of the wheel, is there another feruchemical and hemalurgic metal to replace it?  How would hemalurgists get the powers of gold and electrum without atium, and could feruchemists still store ages, or would the next metal give a different attribute.
Also, in one of Brandon's posts, he says something about "the three worlds,"  I'm guessing Opelon and Scadriel are two, and the third is the warbreaker world?  With all the interest in this last topic, I'm sure it has already been discussed.
Sorry I'm turning into a lurker, I'm really busy!  I'll be on more this weekend!
"Look, I'm just trying to change the world, okay?  I don't have time for a grudge match with every poser in a parka!"
- Dr. Horrible

"There's always another secret..."
- Kelsier

Mellington the loony Gold Misting

• Level 5
  • Hoid's deranged yet cute stalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: November 06, 2008, 10:11:16 PM »
OK, this long weekend, I am definately going to sit down and read this entire thread, it's galling me that I don't know what's been said already.
1. I just find it odd that Marsh never mentions where he taps gold from, and we know that ALL inquisitors have this ability, so do they all have gold spikes for no reason other than to store health in?  And wouldn't they realize the ability it gives them?
2. Secondly, if Atium isn't really part of the wheel, is there another feruchemical and hemalurgic metal to replace it?  How would hemalurgists get the powers of gold and electrum without atium, and could feruchemists still store ages, or would the next metal give a different attribute.
3. Also, in one of Brandon's posts, he says something about "the three worlds,"  I'm guessing Opelon and Scadriel are two, and the third is the warbreaker world?  With all the interest in this last topic, I'm sure it has already been discussed.
Sorry I'm turning into a lurker, I'm really busy!  I'll be on more this weekend!

2.  That's about the speed of what I was thinking/wondering - Brandon NEEDS to answer this!
3.  Yes, I'm pretty sure that's what he meant (and I think I've spotted the shards!)

trytoguess

• Level 1
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: November 07, 2008, 12:44:03 AM »
The wiki article on Mistborn claims to know the abilities of Chromium, and Nicrosil, but they have citation needed, and I don't recall Mr. Sanderson talking about the abilities of the two, and google doesn't tell me anyting either. Can anyone confirm he actually mentioned the two abilities?

AvalonDreamer

• Level 8
  • Boy Genius - Grown Up... Kinda.
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: November 07, 2008, 01:08:04 AM »
He did, kind of, but I personally think its either wrong or lame.
My friends held an intervention, to stop my ridiculous plans to take over the world (Jake ended up in the hospital). I convinced them to let me take over other worlds though.

*Evil grin*

RIP: James Oliver Rigney, Jr.

Shadowkiller

• Level 3
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: November 07, 2008, 01:10:08 AM »
3)  The last two metals are Chromium and Nicrosil.  We'll reveal what they do on the Allomancy poster.  Suffice it to say that in the next trilogy, the main protagonist would be a Nicrosil Misting.  And, to make a Robert Jordan-type comment, what those two metals do should become obvious to the serious student of Allomancy...  (It has to do with the nature of the metal groupings.)

If I read the poster correctly, and have the correlations down, these metals are the external enhancement metals.

The simplest idea is that they do to another person what Aluminum and Duralumin do to the Allomancer burning them.  If this is true, then Chromium would destroy another Allomancer's metals (useful skill, that, especially in a group of Mistings fighting a Mistborn) while Nicrosil would cause the target's metals that are currently burning to be burned in a brief, intense flash.  This could be used either to enhance a group of Mistings or to seriously mess up an enemy Allomancer.

Nicely done.

Ookla is right, the others don't have 1/1 correlations.  But I liked this concept far too much not to use it.  

In a future book series, Mistborn will also have become things of legend.  The bloodlines will have become diluted to the point that there are no Mistborn, only Mistings--however, the latter are far more common.   In this environment, a Nicrosil Misting could be invaluable both as an enhancer to your own team or a weapon to use against unsuspecting other Misthings.

This is essentially where it is said.   Now some of us don't buy it for several reasons.   It doesn't have a 1/1 correlation as BS said and yet he also said serious students of allomancy could figure it out which means he might be misleading us or we may be interpreting what he said incorrectly.      It really doesn't fit with the others.   *shrug*

Both AvalonCreamCorn and I agree on it.

AvalonDreamer

• Level 8
  • Boy Genius - Grown Up... Kinda.
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: November 07, 2008, 01:21:53 AM »
AvalonCreamCorn is easily digestible. Everyone agrees with it.
My friends held an intervention, to stop my ridiculous plans to take over the world (Jake ended up in the hospital). I convinced them to let me take over other worlds though.

*Evil grin*

RIP: James Oliver Rigney, Jr.